PDA

View Full Version : Self filming...

zachc
01-26-2014, 11:53 AM
So I've been self filming for a few years now, using a Sony handycam. It worked pretty good and I got some decent videos but for some reason the touch screen stopped working. Now I am looking at getting a Gopro camera and trying it out, just wondering if anyone has one or has used one of these cameras? They look like they are pretty good cameras, they're fairly inexpensive, and they are small, light, and have several different mounting options.

Griz
01-26-2014, 08:38 PM
The only negative on a Gopro, is there is no zooming in. My advise would be, go to campbell cameras web sit. They can give you professional advise. I've had good luck with them.

nomad_archer
01-27-2014, 09:03 AM
I think its really cool that some of you guys self film your hunts. I have never done it since I am hunting public land 99.9% of the time and I cant use any of the camera mounts that screw into the tree. Plus that is just one more thing I would need to deal with. Keep it up and post some of your stuff when you get a chance.

Griz
01-28-2014, 08:03 AM
My self filming experience is not good. Lots of trees and leaves. If I get a good video, I will post.

nomad_archer
01-28-2014, 08:19 AM
Great. I have a hard enough time getting deer in close and not screwing the deal up I dont want to add another variable to that.

mrbb
01-28-2014, 10:06 AM
Well I used to video a few hunts from time to time, many yrs back, mostly from ground blinds, worked out pretty good, but that was back in the days of vHS and mini VHS -C recorders
for a few yrs I help do a long rabge shooting/hunting video series on a more professional side, where video's were sold
and after doing that a few yrs, I fould I dis liked it, and stopped par taking in it
like I feel with so many Tv hunting shows
they tend to leave out a lot of stuff
and back when I just videoed me hunting, I found I never really watched them too Lol
but it can be cool to have a video camera with you while hunting, you do get to see a lot of cool things, spending time in the woods
I know over the yrs, many times I wish I would have had a video camera with me, not sure I would have had time to get it turned on to capture things, but would have been nice if I could have
best of luck to you
I would try to look at camera's that have a fast quiet start up, and work the best in low light as possible

Dan
02-07-2014, 08:32 AM
http://youtu.be/yUGHHf-Y7g0
I have two Gopro's that I just started playing with at the end of the season. The images are pretty decent and mounting options are great. That being said Campbell cameras has some nice packages in a variety of price ranges. I purchased one of the lower end packages but haven't taken it afield yet. I think the Gopros make great second angle cameras but you may want something else for a primary camera depending on what your expectations are.
This is a video with the Gopro. It was my first attempt at filming a hunt.

nomad_archer
02-07-2014, 08:43 AM
Thanks Dan that was a pretty cool video. I could see wanting a little more since the go pro lacks zoom. Nice job though. Did you find the buck you shot at?

Dan
02-07-2014, 09:01 AM
Find him no, see him on camera pretty regular since then.

nomad_archer
02-07-2014, 10:11 AM
Was it a hit or miss? Hard to tell on the video. Looks like he is quartering to a bit. Was he the deer you where shooting at?

Dan
02-07-2014, 03:07 PM
I agree it is hard to tell from the video if it was a hit or miss. I also agree with your assessment on the quartering. Yes the small buck was the intended target. After the shot and the deer ran off and didn't fall I was also wondering what happened. I had shot the crossbow at that distance earlier that day and was dead on. I went to where I would have shot him and found no hair, no blood, no arrow, nothing. I followed the tracks about 40 yards and never found any sign. I watched the video a few times on my phone using the Gopro app which was really handy but not all that helpful. We gave him a couple hours and followed the trail a couple hundred yards in the woods, again no sign of any kind. We came back the next morning to sweep the area and found nothing. A few days later there was a thaw and I found the arrow. I also pulled my card and continue to have photos of him alive and well. Hindsight is 20/20 he was quartering to much, didn't look like it in the scope but he was. That branch isn't there anymore either...

zachc
02-08-2014, 12:27 AM
Well that's a pretty cool video. I think you saw more deer in that one sit than I saw all year, lol! What was the red looking stuff on the ground? Anyways...that helps a lot as far as using a gopro for hunting. Main camera Prolly not, second angle definitely. The more I think about it I think i'm going to either have my handycam looked at or just buy another camera with zoom and all that good stuff. Very helpful info tho.

nomad_archer
02-08-2014, 08:58 AM
Dan I hate those pesky limbs. But personally I would rather have a perfect hit or a complete miss than something in between. He will just be bigger next year. Looks like one heck of a spot you have with that many deer coming into what looks like a bait pile. If it is bait is it corn? Again hard to tell but thanks for the video its fun to watch others videos.

Dan
02-08-2014, 08:07 PM
Red stuff was apples, yellow stuff is corn. It is a great spot.

nomad_archer
02-09-2014, 09:17 AM
Looks like one heck of a spot. Public or private?

Dan
02-09-2014, 10:25 AM
Well I'm pretty sure its illegal to bait on public land in OH but since I've never hunted public land for deer I may be mistaken. It is a private lease, hunted by me and random trespassers.