PDA

View Full Version : So who's still out there hunting?

Stonegod
01-19-2014, 08:23 PM
My dumb ass is....I bought one tag at the start of the season with the hope of finally getting a deer. Well as many of you know I finally tagged one, but dumb ass me wasn't satisfied with that.....soooo I just had to go buy another frigging tag, I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment!!!LOL Good luck to all you fellow diehards still out there hunting!!!

00buck
01-19-2014, 09:12 PM
good luck to you also I am still out there as much as i can

Griz
01-19-2014, 10:17 PM
I would be stonegod, it I didn't live so far away. My season here in NH closed 15 Dec.

mrbb
01-20-2014, 01:47 AM
Same here Pa season ended Jan 14 th, If not I would still be out there, more to throw trespassers out, than hunting, but would still be out there
glad its over to be honest!
next hunts for me will be some coyote contest hunt, till end of Feb, then I'm done with hunting I think

nomad_archer
01-20-2014, 07:46 AM
PA was done Jan 14th. Although I had plans to get out after I got my doe in December everything conspired against me and I never made it back out. Mrbb if you are done hunting just send me the gps coordinates to some of your ladder stands I can keep them warm from time to time :)

Stonegod
01-20-2014, 09:57 AM
Mrbb isn't done hunting......it's just his normal drama. Well actually.....I don't read that he hunts all that much anyways.....most of his posts are about trespassers and having too many deer......can't recall the last time he posted a deer kill?

mrbb
01-20-2014, 12:06 PM
Well stonegod, not sure where you think I haven't hunted , or made any kills, as for yrs, like almost 30 yrs, I used to hunt almost 60 to 90 days an yr, 900 plus hr a yr in a tree, and hunted up to 7 states a yr
I've killed a LOT of deer in my yrs, far more than most hunters will in a lifetime
I admit, last 3 seasons, I have not hunted like I used to
BUT I have been out almost every day of legal hunting , maybe I hunt more now to find trespassers, than to kill a deer, as like I said last 3 yr, I have had very little desire to kill an average deer, or a deer at all
but I still put many hrs in , do a crap(did) a crap work of QDM; , trying to make mynhunting spot as good as it could be
killing a deer has been very easy for me if I really wanted to
never had a problem killing a seer if and when I wanted one
got bored with just killing deer, and became very selective of what I kill, or would kill, as the yrs went by
and honestly have had enough
as of right now, I honestly don't plan to hunt next season for deer
as a fact, my x bow is getting sold, have a buyer that wants it, and I don't /cannot shoot my compound any more, so that is for sale too
so?
if you ask me, Even in my piss poor desire to hunt, I still logged more hrs in the woods, than you, last few yrs, and I have passed on a ffew hundred deer in that time
not sure whats taking you so long to kill that buck, LOL
its not that hard, all the more so in a state that allows you to hunt over bait?

bddinges
01-20-2014, 08:14 PM
went out on a friends ranch in SE OH Sat eve, Sun morning. Didn't see anything while in the stand but when we were out riding horses saw at least a dozen doe running around middle of the day. Figures.

ManOfTheFall
01-21-2014, 02:45 AM
I am still trying to put a tag on one more doe.

Newbowhunter32
01-22-2014, 12:42 PM
Been out a couple times this month. Have seen deer almost every time but still waiting on a buck to get into bow range. Not sure if I will get out again before season closes. Good luck to everybody still out there and be smart if you are out there in this polar vortex, no deer is worth losing any of your fingers or toes or worse.

ManOfTheFall
01-26-2014, 01:00 AM
I decided I will be waiting until Thursday, Friday, and Saturday evenings to get back out again. I am hoping to get that one more doe to top off the freezer.

Stonegod
01-26-2014, 06:54 PM
Yep....with this frigging cold weather I'll be hunting the last two days of the season.....hopefully they'll be up and looking to refuel!!

Strother23
01-26-2014, 08:12 PM
With these sub zero temps going on it gets ruff to go out. But I went out yesterday and braved the snow in hope that the deer would be up and looking for food but no luck. Didn't see one deer. Ill probably go out 2 more times in hope to get one more doe before season ends.

Griz
01-26-2014, 08:42 PM
I tip my hat to all three of you guys. I went out yesterday for a little scouting and man it was cold. I was walking most of the time. I bet sitting still on stand is brutel.

00buck
01-26-2014, 09:08 PM
i will be out tomorrow afternoon hope to see something

hunter2323
01-26-2014, 11:27 PM
I was in my climber here in Ohio on Sat. Everything was perfect until around 3:00. The west got really dark and about five min later a whiteout came directly at me and I couldn't see 5 feet in front of me. The tree went from straight to a steady east tilt with me in it. I seriously thought something bad was going to happen. My bow was on bow hanger and was literally blowing horizontal to the ground. I was holding on to the tree like a little b....! Managed to get down, and it was gone, and got calm again. Scared to death. I really thought about unhooking my harness strap from the tree because I thought the tree was going over and I could have at least tried to jump away from the tree.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

ManOfTheFall
01-27-2014, 12:17 AM
Good luck to you guys still going at it. I will be there with and hopefully we all score. I am looking forward to see some late season pics and some good stories. Most of all be safe out there!!!!!

Stonegod
01-27-2014, 04:33 AM
My hunting buddy hortontotor is the only one with any brains!!!!.....he hung up his xbow for the season last week.lol

nomad_archer
01-27-2014, 08:12 AM
My hunting buddy hortontotor is the only one with any brains!!!!.....he hung up his xbow for the season last week.lol

Nah... I put my bow away Dec 15th. Not that I wanted to stop but I ran out of time and didnt have the free time for the PA late season. Kind of glad actually since all it has been since november has been cold and colder

ManOfTheFall
02-01-2014, 01:18 AM
I have seen deer each of the last 2 nights out but no shots. The first night I had a very large shed buck walk right under me. Naturally I let him pass. That was probably the 170" split G-2 buck I was after. Too bad he didn't do that when he had antlers on his head. Friday night I had 5 does 15-20 yards behind but I had no shots on any of them. They milled around behind me almost a 1/2 hour then left. There must of been one still close by that I didn't see cause as I was getting down one blew at me. I still have this evening to try and put one down. I have high hopes. I know the deer are still around cause I have seen them and there are tracks all around.

zachc
02-02-2014, 12:24 AM
Gonna give it one last shot in the morning! I haven't been out since shotgun season, for more than one reason but anyways...finally get a day off where the weather is supposed to be decent so we'll see.

mrbb
02-02-2014, 12:30 AM
well best of luck tomorrow to you

Stonegod
02-02-2014, 05:47 AM
Well it's the last day of deer season, I've hung up my xbow for the season my last day out was Friday....blinds are down....xbow is on the wall. Good luck to anyone hunting today....it was a great season for me finally tagging a deer....I hope you all also had a great season. Deer or no deer.....just getting out and enjoying being in the woods can make for a great season.....I've done it many times!!!LOL On a sad note.....it's the last day....and I'm the only one currently on the site.....there's currently 23 active members online on that "other site"!....sad.

Stonegod
02-02-2014, 05:50 AM
well best of luck tomorrow to you

Well your posting this on the 2nd......sooooo....having "the best of luck tomorrow".....may be nice....but illegal...... and it will also get you a hefty fine!!!

Big_Holla
02-02-2014, 10:10 AM
It was 12:30 am when he posted it...I think we can figure it out there Stonegod.....

Strother23
02-02-2014, 11:09 AM
I went out last night to try and get one more doe. No luck but it was a nice evening. Good luck to those still hunting on the last day.. It's been a good season for me tho so I don't have to many complaints. I was lucky to get and 8pt and a doe and a button buck (thought it was a doe)

00buck
02-02-2014, 02:19 PM
well my season is over string broke yesterday on bow

mrbb
02-02-2014, 03:27 PM
Well your posting this on the 2nd......sooooo....having "the best of luck tomorrow".....may be nice....but illegal...... and it will also get you a hefty fine!!!

Well Stonegaod, since you like to be so sharp on this site, catching or trying tp point out my error's
I hate to be the one to bust your bubble
but even if I said good luck tomorrow, and you claim that is a day wrong,
I am not sure maybe you know what Ohio rules and regulations are
as in no way will anyone get in trouble or a fine for hunting tomorrow as I pointed out, and
all I said was good luck to you, tomorrow,
didn't address it at anyone person
maybe you need to stop reading into what I post and trying to find flaws with me, when maybe just reading what I posted is fine as it is!
maybe your issue's with me are?? don't know, tried to pm you to ask you what the problem is, but you didn't reply
just seem to like poking at me on the open forum, , must maybe make you feel good or??

but here is some info for you to maybe learn
there is hunting still legally going on in Ohio, past Feb 2,02014
here are some for you to digest
my wishing folks still out there good luck tomorrow! isn't wrong or illegal advice at all, HUMM< could I actually be right??
imagine that Stonegod!!

,as this is the title

Thread: So who's still out there hunting?

thus, my reply can mean hunting species other than deer, or IS that too much for you to maybe comprehend!??
since you seem to like trying ways to rattle me(not working by the way, I understand you like to be colorful in many of your posts and reply's!, and this is in return a colorful reply towards you from me!

but here is the link, and some dates to maybe read up on
so NO matter what day it is in OHIO< if I say good luck tomorrow, I would still be wishing hunters good luck, on LEGALLY hunted species in Ohio,
I in no way shape or form, would be promoting anyone be breaking the law or be getting a fine for hunting past Feb 2,02014, if they so desire to hunt TOMORROW ! can legally hunt 365 days a yr in OHIO!
so, what do you think about that, smarty pants MR STonegod!! ?? LOL

https://www.ohiodnr.gov/wildlife/dow/regulations/seasons.aspx
Cottontail Rabbit
November 1, 2013
February 28, 2014

Coyote
No closed season
No Limit

Feral Swine
(wild boar)
No closed season
No Limit

Groundhog
Closed for deer gun season only
No Limit

Seeker Bp
02-02-2014, 03:49 PM
Lmao....so good to see the site is running just the way it was when I left for the season.... Such a happy happy place.. My season really never got started this year..had a few outings which really felt good to get out, but just never got really in tune. Looking to get some 3 D in this summer and start up 2014 like a fireball..really appreciate the time some of you guys have taken to see that things are ok on my side of the spectrum...Thanks for checking in on me. good group of friends. Stonegod....WTF.....do you miss our personal banter so much, that your calling out poor ole Mr BB......lmao you crack me up. Again....congrats on your first kill ever of a whitetail....simply awesome for you.. Will be trying to spend a little more time on here, and hope that it will bring some of the regs back..Hey Mike and Chris, don't you miss the way the site used to run...you oughta eat crow and bring the ole Crowe back with some owner support behind him, I sure would volunteer my time as Staff again if Big was back at it... just a thought since you guys are Big time now!

Stonegod
02-03-2014, 06:24 AM
Well Stonegaod, since you like to be so sharp on this site, catching or trying tp point out my error's
I hate to be the one to bust your bubble
but even if I said good luck tomorrow, and you claim that is a day wrong,
I am not sure maybe you know what Ohio rules and regulations are
as in no way will anyone get in trouble or a fine for hunting tomorrow as I pointed out, and
all I said was good luck to you, tomorrow,
didn't address it at anyone person
maybe you need to stop reading into what I post and trying to find flaws with me, when maybe just reading what I posted is fine as it is!
maybe your issue's with me are?? don't know, tried to pm you to ask you what the problem is, but you didn't reply
just seem to like poking at me on the open forum, , must maybe make you feel good or??

but here is some info for you to maybe learn
there is hunting still legally going on in Ohio, past Feb 2,02014
here are some for you to digest
my wishing folks still out there good luck tomorrow! isn't wrong or illegal advice at all, HUMM< could I actually be right??
imagine that Stonegod!!

,as this is the title

Thread: So who's still out there hunting?

thus, my reply can mean hunting species other than deer, or IS that too much for you to maybe comprehend!??
since you seem to like trying ways to rattle me(not working by the way, I understand you like to be colorful in many of your posts and reply's!, and this is in return a colorful reply towards you from me!

but here is the link, and some dates to maybe read up on
so NO matter what day it is in OHIO< if I say good luck tomorrow, I would still be wishing hunters good luck, on LEGALLY hunted species in Ohio,
I in no way shape or form, would be promoting anyone be breaking the law or be getting a fine for hunting past Feb 2,02014, if they so desire to hunt TOMORROW ! can legally hunt 365 days a yr in OHIO!
so, what do you think about that, smarty pants MR STonegod!! ?? LOL

https://www.ohiodnr.gov/wildlife/dow/regulations/seasons.aspx
Cottontail Rabbit
November 1, 2013
February 28, 2014

Coyote
No closed season
No Limit

Feral Swine
(wild boar)
No closed season
No Limit

Groundhog
Closed for deer gun season only
No Limit

Well another rambling nonsense post mrbb......and No....you actually weren't "right" mrbb any idiot (well most idiots) would realize that my original post asking who is out there still hunting was referring to guys still DEER hunting....and not just hunting in general, since the thread was started in the DEER!!! hunting forum!! I know our regs here in Ohio.....you sir were in error....not me. You simply think you've done it all.....seen it all.....and know it all and when some points out a simple mistake you've made you simply can't just shut up and admit it...,...nope....not you.....you just have to prove my point about posting long boring nonsense posts.....and do it again....and again.LMAO!!!

Stonegod
02-03-2014, 06:45 AM
Lmao....so good to see the site is running just the way it was when I left for the season.... Such a happy happy place.. My season really never got started this year..had a few outings which really felt good to get out, but just never got really in tune. Looking to get some 3 D in this summer and start up 2014 like a fireball..really appreciate the time some of you guys have taken to see that things are ok on my side of the spectrum...Thanks for checking in on me. good group of friends. Stonegod....WTF.....do you miss our personal banter so much, that your calling out poor ole Mr BB......lmao you crack me up. Again....congrats on your first kill ever of a whitetail....simply awesome for you.. Will be trying to spend a little more time on here, and hope that it will bring some of the regs back..Hey Mike and Chris, don't you miss the way the site used to run...you oughta eat crow and bring the ole Crowe back with some owner support behind him, I sure would volunteer my time as Staff again if Big was back at it... just a thought since you guys are Big time now!

Thanks for the congrats on my first deer again seeker and I'm glad I could put a smile on your face with my mrbb exchanges. I for one would love to see the old mods return....we certainly need you guys back if this site is to survive....so hopefully the owners will get on board and do something about it!!! I'll even take an oath to behave myself if you guys come back!!lol But only if you guys promise to do something about long rambling posts.lol Then all we have to do is to convince mrbb to join the TOO site.....and chase all the old members back to this site!!!lol

nomad_archer
02-03-2014, 08:36 AM
Getting a little sporty in here

hortontoter
02-03-2014, 12:04 PM
Getting a little sporty in here

Some things never change. Glad I have better things to do.

Big_Holla
02-03-2014, 01:44 PM

Yep, this has been a good reminder to 'have fun' elsewhere. Just gets old. So great to see Seeker back on though, at least that's the one thing I can be grateful to see when coming on here for the first time today. Same with Hortontoter and a few of the other old regulars! Hope you are doing well guys and gals!

buckbuster217
02-03-2014, 08:22 PM

Exactly, couldn't have said it better myself Dick , I haven't been on here for quite awhile and I see things haven't changed one bit.

ManOfTheFall
02-04-2014, 01:24 AM
This is the way my season ended on Saturday. Walking in to my stand I saw one deer. I did not see a single deer while in the stand. On my drive home I had either a 4 or 6 point come out of nowhere and I nailed him with my car. The car had very minimal damage and I was not hurt thankfully. The deer unfortunately wasn't any worse for the wear either. He immediately jumped up and took off running like nothing happened. I was hoping if I had a deer damage my car I could at least get some meat out of the deal but no such luck. You have to wonder sometimes how tough they really are.

hortontoter
02-04-2014, 02:37 PM
At least you are OK. A heck of a note to rnd the season on though.

Big_Holla
02-04-2014, 02:38 PM
MOTF glad you are OK and sucks he did damage without at least buying you dinner!! LOL!! It sounds like your season was a bust for the most part then??

Strother23
02-04-2014, 03:02 PM
Glad you wasn't hurt. Chances are he jumped up and ran off before his realized he was hurt. I know some will run away like there fine and later die from injuries or have a bum leg and the yotes will get him..

ManOfTheFall
02-05-2014, 01:21 AM
MOTF glad you are OK and sucks he did damage without at least buying you dinner!! LOL!! It sounds like your season was a bust for the most part then??

I did take a management buck on one of our properties along with my wife also taking a management buck. Also took out 2 does. So not a total loss. I had a close call with the 170" I was targeting. So I know I am definitely in the right area for him next season!!!!!

Big_Holla
02-05-2014, 08:44 AM
I did take a management buck on one of our properties along with my wife also taking a management buck. Also took out 2 does. So not a total loss. I had a close call with the 170" I was targeting. So I know I am definitely in the right area for him next season!!!!!

Great to hear!! Hopefully you can find his sheds this winter/spring so you have even more history with him when you wrap your hands around his antlers this fall!!

hortontoter
02-05-2014, 10:07 AM
I had a close call with the 170" I was targeting. So I know I am definitely in the right area for him next season!!!!!

I remember thinking the same thing last September. I had my target buck all but tagged. No such luck. After chasing the same buck for three seasons I learned one thing. Be prepared for failure. But, if ol Splitter survived again this season, I know the buck I will be pursuing again next fall.

Best of luck chasing the buck you want. Have fun and I hope an opportunity comes your way.

Big_Holla
02-05-2014, 10:56 AM
I remember thinking the same thing last September. I had my target buck all but tagged. No such luck. After chasing the same buck for three seasons I learned one thing. Be prepared for failure. But, if ol Splitter survived again this season, I know the buck I will be pursuing again next fall.

Best of luck chasing the buck you want. Have fun and I hope an opportunity comes your way.

You certainly have history with him Dick. As bucks get older they tend to change habits that only benefit you as a hunter. So let's hope this year will be his slip-up year. Maybe he's got you pegged, maybe not but perhaps this year you should mix it up a bit and have alternate spots, perhaps deadfalls or other hides, that you can slip into to catch him off guard.

hortontoter
02-06-2014, 05:02 PM
First things first. I've got to catch him on a trail camera to be sure he survived again. I've got my fingers crossed, but only time will tell. I should have had him by now anyways. I feel good just knowing he lived in my area the last three years. I do have some plans that may up my odds if he is around next fall.

I can't wait til spring to get busy. My wife retires this month which is a big plus. I always felt bad leaving her at home when I left for a couple days to hunt. This coming fall she will be able to go to the cabin with me. I'm sure I will hunt more often now that I don't have to leave her at home.

Big_Holla
02-06-2014, 05:16 PM
That's good stuff Dick, enjoy that retirement with here and live it up doing the things you both love.

Griz
02-06-2014, 06:22 PM
First things first. I've got to catch him on a trail camera to be sure he survived again. I've got my fingers crossed, but only time will tell. I should have had him by now anyways. I feel good just knowing he lived in my area the last three years. I do have some plans that may up my odds if he is around next fall.

I can't wait til spring to get busy. My wife retires this month which is a big plus. I always felt bad leaving her at home when I left for a couple days to hunt. This coming fall she will be able to go to the cabin with me. I'm sure I will hunt more often now that I don't have to leave her at home.

Behind every good man is a good woman. It's great you feel that way about her.

hortontoter
02-06-2014, 09:31 PM
I must admit I am very blessed. Believe me Chuck, we will make the best of it.

nomad_archer
02-07-2014, 08:47 AM
Thats awesome dick. I'm glad you are taking the step into retirement. My dad retired last year and he hunted his tail off this year and had a great time although he couldnt buy an opportunity at a deer. Enjoy your retirement.