PDA

View Full Version : Two yrs a member

Griz
01-14-2014, 06:20 PM
I just noticed I've been a member on BHO for two years now. Alot has change in those 2 years, and not for the good. Not too many steady members are logging on. Only a handfull. My hats off to you mrbb, you are Mr steady. I do check in a few times a weeks, but not as much as I use too. I hope 2014 is a better year for BHO.

Stonegod
01-14-2014, 08:45 PM
Alot has changed in the past year and hopefully some of the old regulars will return......or perhaps more of the newer members will pick up the ball......and start posting more? When I joined 3 1/2 yrs ago this site always seemed to have a regular or two on here posting even late at night.....now there are many times I come on here and I'm the only one on the site.

mrbb
01-14-2014, 11:17 PM
Well congrats on the2 yrs a member
and yes I do check in here when I can, and also agree, the site is not what it once was
seems even many of the people that are memebers don't add much any more to the site
seems like everyone wants others to start treads, and then only reply to a few, once there up, lots of folks seem to read or look at treads, just very very very few add anything to them
a shame, as the complaint seems to be, members want more active memebrs, yet memebers don't add much here any more?
seems to me its like complaining about what you do; or in this case don't do!
wish more members would add to the site and help keep it interesting, but?? Doesn't look good
deer season is almost over, and this site tends to die after deer season, so with such a slow season, and now off season come???

89trackerpro17
01-15-2014, 08:21 AM
Congrats on being a 2 year member

nomad_archer
01-15-2014, 08:39 AM
Congrats on being a two year member. I plan on staying around more now after deer season since I wandered away last year and this place really changed. When I came back I had nothing that I could say or offer any criticism because I wasnt here and it wasnt my place to say anything. Although I did anyway but was promptly called out for disappearing (deserved criticism).

Griz
01-15-2014, 09:19 AM
I'm guilty myself for not coming on and posting/starting threads like I use too. And yes, I joined another site which is probably the reason for not being on as often. But I still feel a commitment to BHO. So with that said, I am going to make a better effort to contribute. Also I hope the other old members who have gone elswhere will consider doing the same.

Strother23
01-15-2014, 12:39 PM
Congrats on being a 2 year member. I plan to be on the site for a long time to come. There is a lot of good info on here and I enjoy posting and seeing other post pics,stories and advice. As I'm a newer deer hunter. (2nd year). Hopefully the site gets more active like all of you have stated.

Seeker Bp
01-15-2014, 12:41 PM
Congrats on the two years Griz, and also on the super nice Buck..Awesome Job. BHO just isn't what used to be, but it's nice to know you can still check in from time to time and see some of the regulars are still posting...Even the gallery is gone, what's up with that? Wish it could go back to the days of old, but I guess moving onto bigger and better things causes less time for the small projects such as a web site. Yea, still kinda bitter! Keep up the good work out in the field, and shoot straight. Seeker BP

Griz
01-15-2014, 09:05 PM
Now that you mentioned it, I hadn't noticed the gallery was gone until now. It goes to show you how much work was done by a hand full of guys that are not doing it anymore. Some things are taken for granite. The bitter thing is understandable. Good to see you posting.

nomad_archer
01-16-2014, 06:59 AM
Seeker good to hear from you again... I hope you had a good season

radicalxl
01-16-2014, 05:56 PM
I still get on a read some threads. Didn't hunt at all this year and very little last year. As someone said in another post about us old gray beards slacking off because of age, he is correct. Kinda stupid to post anything about whats going on out there when your sitting on the couch. No one will listen or they will want to argue with you anyway. At least that's the way it used to be. I do post to non hunting threads like this one. Congrats Griz.

Griz
01-16-2014, 06:35 PM
Thanks radicalxl, it good to hear from you.

nomad_archer
01-17-2014, 12:44 PM
Good to hear from you radical. Seems to be less arguing and more discussion and respectful disagreement anymore but thats from the handful of guys that are left. Hope you get out a little more next year.

Big_Holla
01-26-2014, 11:19 AM
Congrats Griz! I had to check too after reading this, I became a member in December 2006. Put a lot of time and heart into this place over the years and it sure isn't the same today. If you guys ever figure it out let me know, so I know what I was doing wrong LOL!!

Big_Holla
01-26-2014, 11:20 AM
Oh and great to see Seeker made it back on here to say hi too!

Stonegod
01-26-2014, 06:50 PM
Congrats Griz! I had to check too after reading this, I became a member in December 2006. Put a lot of time and heart into this place over the years and it sure isn't the same today. If you guys ever figure it out let me know, so I know what I was doing wrong LOL!!

LOL.....you didn't do anything wrong.,,..you Mods just got burned out do to the lack of ownership support. Hopefully you,seeker,Blackbeard and my hunting bud hortontotor will return next season and be regular posters.....I for one....miss you four guys input/posting!!! Radicalxl is back on.....but not as much as I'd like to see him!!

Griz
01-26-2014, 08:34 PM
As stonegod said, you did nothing wrong. I believe all you mods held this thing together. But something went wrong behind the scenes that a regular member wouldn't know. For all of you to quit at once makes me think that. It really would be nice for all of you to come back on a regular basis. Stonegod said it best, we miss your four guys input/posts. There's just a hand full of guys on here on a regular basis. As you know I'm also posting on another site and enjoy it, but I cut my teeth here and plan to keep contributing. Good to hear from you on BHO.

nomad_archer
01-27-2014, 09:08 AM
I think stonegod and griz hit the nail on the head, you guys didn't do anything wrong. As you mention at some point early in the season that there was a lack of owner participation and I believe there still is very little posting from the owners although I think it is chris has been trying to get some footage for an TV episode. That would have been cool if he would have shared some of that experience. But just seems as thought the owners save for a bit at the beginning of the season have more or less disappeared at this point. Except they do post all the news from the ODNR site here.

Glad to have you back and as it seems you are in better spirits.

mrbb
01-27-2014, 12:06 PM
Well I agree I don't think any mods did anything wrong
but at same time, it sure seems to me, that the same folks that complain about no action on the site are many times guilty of logging on/in, looking about and not saying anything or adding many posts, or new post
just look at how many visiters a day the site gets? as to how many replys get added! or post get started!
And how many members a day log in?
And yet still so few post, action here?
Seems like people , maybe are complaining, about things there guilty of too!
after all, adding to the site in any way, is adding to the site, and more folks do, maybe more folks will !
the owner here is just one person( or I believe that its only one person) so even if he added more, its still a small amount
many old timers still admit they look in from time to time, but how many are adding to the site? And not just looking like all the non members do??
Reminds me of the hunters in PA that complain there are no deer, but keep shooting deer where they hunt??
HUMM, maybe its just, and my observation!
But best way to get more folks here to keep the site going is for members to add more to it, and not just the owner?
more talk, less looking from all!

Griz
01-27-2014, 05:21 PM
Well I agree I don't think any mods did anything wrong
but at same time, it sure seems to me, that the same folks that complain about no action on the site are many times guilty of logging on/in, looking about and not saying anything or adding many posts, or new post
just look at how many visiters a day the site gets? as to how many replys get added! or post get started!
And how many members a day log in?
And yet still so few post, action here?
Seems like people , maybe are complaining, about things there guilty of too!
after all, adding to the site in any way, is adding to the site, and more folks do, maybe more folks will !
the owner here is just one person( or I believe that its only one person) so even if he added more, its still a small amount
many old timers still admit they look in from time to time, but how many are adding to the site? And not just looking like all the non members do??
Reminds me of the hunters in PA that complain there are no deer, but keep shooting deer where they hunt??
HUMM, maybe its just, and my observation!
But best way to get more folks here to keep the site going is for members to add more to it, and not just the owner?
more talk, less looking from all!

I agree mrbb. I'm as guilty as anyone, looking in and not posting. I'm trying to change that. The owner/s should be the one's that are concerned over low numbers. Also, the numbers they say are looking in and not members are bull crap. They shoudl not post total members unless they also post active members. I've checked, and so many guys have not been on this site in years and still are listed as members. Some honesty would be a good moral booster. Both you and nomad_archer have been some of the most consistant members posting lately. We all shoudl follow the lead.

mrbb
01-27-2014, 05:41 PM
I agree mrbb. I'm as guilty as anyone, looking in and not posting. I'm trying to change that. The owner/s should be the one's that are concerned over low numbers. Also, the numbers they say are looking in and not members are bull crap. They shoudl not post total members unless they also post active members. I've checked, and so many guys have not been on this site in years and still are listed as members. Some honesty would be a good moral booster. Both you and nomad_archer have been some of the most consistant members posting lately. We all shoudl follow the lead.
well thanks, and I have always tried to add things to this site since I joined in here yrs back
I also have said many times, why more folks don't make the effort to share trail cam pic's as I know so many these days have trail cam's
pictures always seem to be a big help
and as for the owner, I have to ask, what do people think the owner really should be doing?
I mean, sure would be nice to hear or see more stories or hunts, or input from him, but he is again I gather just a single person
so even if he adds more details about his hunts or hunting, thatr's just one person
and surely not enough to make the folks happy I think
or I could be wrong?
but I'm honestly glad he just pay the bills to keep this site here , up and running
I think it should be more up to its members to keep it alive and going, as I personally feel the owner is doinga lot by paying the bills, and giving us the tools to add what we waht here
its just so few here want to add anything I think that makes this site suffer
far too many folks that come here, I think due to the site's wed address
are looking for free help/info , and either they find it or don't and then leave
afterall, I started coming here looking for info, , like I bet most folks here did
its up to the folsk that joined to make a site great or not
me I don't personally care if there is a ton of posts every day
sure it would be nice to have more posts, and more feed back on posts
but, hey, cannot make people reply
thus, to me thats what an open more or less forum is
people either want to add or they don't
same goes for if people like or dis like a post or opinion
seems sadly in todays world , far too many people get offended over words online, and then get sour fast
if there opinion isn't liked or??
I know I am not the most popular guy on this site, no do I care if I am
I try to add here as I can, I try to help others when I can
if anyone doesn't like my posts, or info, I'm fine with that, its life
nothing to get worked up over and get all pissed and run away from the site
more good posts here than bad, so to, me
again, only way the site stays active is if people actually do that, be active, a active part of the site
and stop saying I WISH
just do more add more, and stop wishing
and before long the site might be what folks want
change doesn't come by magic! no matter what the owner does or doesn't do!

nomad_archer
01-28-2014, 08:35 AM
So Griz I didnt always post as much as I do now. Actually I disappeared for quite awhile and when I came back and gave some input I was called out on disappearing and not contributing so.... here we are now and I try to contribute when I can.

MRBB as for owner participation. Alot of other forums I frequent have quite a bit of owner/moderator posting and participation especially in the off season. It adds a unique perspective because to create a website like this the owner/moderator had to have some passion about this sport enough so to create a forum for it. I would just like to see a little participation. But a little more participation from everyone would go a long long way. But leading by example goes along way.

mrbb
01-28-2014, 10:12 AM
Well I belong to other forums as well, but to be honest,and I could just be missing it, I don't notice much action from owners, and most moderators on the sites, only really act as in a moderator form, when there is a trouble maker acting up
other wise, they just post like active memebers do
nothing really stands out with them to me, ? Maybe they are more likely to welcome a new member, but?
From the other forums, what to me seems to keep them going is members replying to posts!
starting new post
and number one action, is new members asking for help of some sort, and thus , older members replying! Trying to help
sure many times new members ask a question, and many times once they get an answer, leave
but many stay on other sites
I know on this site over the yrs, I seen new members join ask a question, and then get bashed for doing so some what, and that seems to scare some off!
when they maybe just wanted help and felt??? And left, or added nothing to the site again
or one thing I noticed some times here?

nomad_archer
01-28-2014, 11:28 AM
Like I said at the end of my last post a little more participation from everyone would go a long way. Especially now that we are about to enter the dead zone of the year now the ohio seasons are about to wrap up and our PA season is long over.

mrbb
01-28-2014, 12:54 PM
Nomad, I hear you loud and clear and agree 100 %, prime time on this site has come and gone now deer season is almost over
and with more posts/replys from others
this site is going to be real slow soon, more than its been
as so many regulars have left since Oct
and seems to be some bitterness in some others not helping to keep this site going and picking up
a shame
lots of good folks were always here to help when anyone asked
I know I have tried to help
and start posts and reply to any I think I can add something to
Oh well, me you and griz
maybe are the main stay now? Lol

nomad_archer
01-28-2014, 01:10 PM
Wow thats a scary though me and you and griz are the mainstays on the bow hunting ohio website and we are all out of stater's. Guess we wont run into to much negative discussion about non-res hunters

mrbb
01-28-2014, 01:15 PM
Hahaha, I hear that ,
and to be honest Nomad, I think I am not even hunting this yr, already sold a few guns and the x bow, so??
But I still don't mind helping others, just not interested in doing it myself it seems
so yup 3 non res on the site mostly Lol

nomad_archer
01-28-2014, 02:18 PM
I just sold my target bow last week so I am downsizing. Probably going to get an x-bolt and 7mm-08 and a browning citori field grade O/U for clays, turkey and small game. Although I really don't do much small game since it interferes with archery season.

I would post pictures but I dont run trail cams. I figure on public land more than likely they would walk off sooner or later.

Griz
01-28-2014, 05:41 PM
There some Ohio residents on here. I hope more come back. I'm not naming them, they know who they are. I enjoy everones comments. You all are right about heading into slow times. But who knows what the future brings.

mrbb
01-28-2014, 05:49 PM
well I am lucky to have a lot of guns, over the yrs they piled up, having the gun store, way too many great deals came by that ended up at home!
my fav hunting rifle is in 7mm08 cal, a rem model 7, I had re barreled and stocked many many yrs back, early 90's, built by Hart Rifles
been to AK with me and all over teh USA
knocked down things from 500 yrds and under with it no problems, and its a nice light weight rifle and low recoil caliber
as for a turkey shotgun, I personaly think, if your going to be a turkey hunter, its best to have a turkey set up shotgun, just for that, a good shotgun with a scope on it makes a HUGE difference on a turkey gun, if you ask me
small game isn't big anymore in PA< due to many folks like you rather try for that big buck, small game isn't abundant like it was many yrs back
back when owning a gun /bird dog was worth while investment and a thirll come fall
as for a trap gun, everyone loves pretty over and unders(I own a few too)
but to be honest, I always found a goood semi the better route, lower recoil any day of the week than a fixed barrel gun, so if you shoot a ton, having that little added less recoil can be very nice, and again they make for good small game guns too, as almost all have the option of changing out bbls real easy
I have a few nice 28 ga shotguns, that I prefer for skeet and sporting clays these days
after a few rounds, nice having felt like I didn't shoot much at all over the 12's I used to always use
most folks don't know a 28 has almost same power levels , just less shot, making great guns, from the kids on up, as they have less recoil, and guns tend to be lighter too!, an added plus when you get older and lazy~ LOL

and yup, sadly trail cam's on public lands are a roll of the dice
we use them up at hunting camp, and to be honest, walk them in far, and in past 5+ yrs haven't had one get stolen, we think it due to we tend to carry them pretty far in, and lock them well as we can!
some great pic's at camp too of some slammer buck
on a funny, ne guy this archery season, in a rain storm, was in his tree, a cam right behind it, got back to camp to check SD card, and he got a pic of a good 130 inch buck walking past him, and he never even seen it LOL
guess the rain and it being so quiet , the buck walked past behibnd him and he never knew it happened till he check the cam ! maybe a draw back to having cam's??

nomad_archer
01-29-2014, 08:19 AM
I've shot the semi's and actually have one but my dad wants it so I will sell it to him. I reload my shotgun shells for clays so the o/u makes more sense to me because I am tired of crawling in the weeks to pick up my empties. I only hunt turkeys for 3 maybe 4 days a year in the spring so Im not going to bother having a separate gun just for that. I've hunted turkey with a scope on my shot gun before and it just didn't do it for me. There wasnt much advantage. All the birds I have gotten have been close enough that the scope was unnecessary. Plus it never fails that I get rained on during turkey season so keeping a scope clean is a pain.

mrbb
01-29-2014, 12:27 PM
well we all like things the way we like em
I been using butler creek scope caps since the 80's, they solved my issues with rain for me lol

nomad_archer
01-29-2014, 01:14 PM
exactly that is why there are soooooo many options out there these days.

Big_Holla
01-29-2014, 01:30 PM
To me owner participation on a site gives that site credibility. It shows that the members are important to them. If there is staff then it gives the staff a (feeling of) purpose when the owner(s) participate now and then and give guidance. It also gives us all the feeling that we are worth the time and effort, and all of us know how precious our time is as we all have things going on in our lives that may take us away from here or other forums. In a nutshell IT helps us feel welcome.................

Stonegod
01-29-2014, 01:56 PM
Well said Big_holla.....I post on here when I think it's an interesting thread/topic. And what I'm about to say my not be "site friendly" but lately most of the posts have been mrbb's....this site has become the mrbb show.....and unfortunately I'm not a fan of his ramblings. I'm not calling anyone out.....just saying what I feel....others I know from here, didn't bother to say it.....they just simply left.

mrbb
01-29-2014, 02:09 PM
well sorry stone god, if me starting post and sharing info, isn't up to your likings
but I have helped a lot of folks, and have tried to help keep the site going
I don't rely on others to start posts, IF I like to reply
I have tried to start posts on subjects I hope others here have interest in!
so, you can say your not calling me out, all you like, but most of your last post reflect otherwise
I have never been ?? to you, any pm's we have had, over a yr ago, were very friendly, so??
what ever!!
if I rub you the wrong way, sorry,
the fact I have a lot of experience in the outdoors
is a fact, and I am not shy about sharing to folks to try to help if I can!
and this too is me saying what I feel, and sorry if it offends anyone here as well
but I will stand up when you say what you say !
and also, this is not my site, but it is where I spend time
and without me , maybe doing so, this site would be pretty dead
I haven't given up on it as I think some others have, not bashing them, just saying, I don't mind trying to save this site!

Big_Holla
01-29-2014, 03:36 PM
I guess I see no need at pointing fingers at any members for their lack of activity, types of posts, this or that. Fact is it takes people to make things work, not just one or two. If someone doesn't care for the type of post then make your own and share what's going on in your life. That's what is missing. It doesn't matter to me if someone does step away for a while and then comes back....fact is they came back. I said it long ago though, if people care at all then they'd take a moment to throw a reply down now and then. That's the only way the regular posters feel that the time they took to post up something was really even worth the effort. If that happened then soon those who are just replying to other's threads will start making threads of their own. That's how it starts. How you get lurkers and the occasional member to chime in now and then....well that's where I have racked my brain for years trying to figure it out.

nomad_archer
01-29-2014, 03:48 PM
Big Holla you have a unique perspective on this and I agree with what you have to say. I also started posting bit more when I found the Most Recent Posts! button. That really helped me find what was being discussed.

hortontoter
01-30-2014, 01:32 PM
Chuck said it in a nutshell. Sometimes posting on a forum has to take a back seat to other circumstances in ones life. I belong to two forums and haven't posted on either one for nearly two months. Other things have been a priority for a while.

Actually it took me two months to drag out the buck I killed. He weighed 2832 pounds and had 86 points with a 76 inch inside spread. I'm beat!

nomad_archer
01-30-2014, 01:40 PM
Chuck said it in a nutshell. Sometimes posting on a forum has to take a back seat to other circumstances in ones life. I belong to two forums and haven't posted on either one for nearly two months. Other things have been a priority for a while.

Actually it took me two months to drag out the buck I killed. He weighed 2832 pounds and had 86 points with a 76 inch inside spread. I'm beat!

Shot him at 553 and 1/2 yards dead down wind with you x-bow too

mrbb
01-30-2014, 02:54 PM

I fully agree , said yrs back now that , I believe it was life and how things change that caused this site to loose a lot of its active members
life has a way of taking free time off a person, and priorities change for sure
and congrats on that dream buck! LOL
sounds like you will be eating venison the rest of your life now too HAHA!

Big_Holla
01-30-2014, 03:04 PM

Shot him at 553 and 1/2 yards dead down wind with you x-bow too

Now wait a minute....story I heard was he was shooting at a pesky squirrel that was bugging him and the buck just happened to be hiding in the brush right behind him!! One shot...two kills.......