PDA

View Full Version : pa late season

mrbb
12-26-2013, 06:53 PM
Ok so today was the forst day of the late season, archery/flintlock season
nice weather for an evening hunt, 20 degree's a slight breeze, and 2 inches of new snow that fell mid day
so get to the farm at 2 pm, and just happen to notice two truck parked across the street, so I drive by, and see 5 guys in camo all holding bows??
Humm,, wonder where they plan to go??
there is no hunting where they are at?
so I drive by and get down the road some and pull over to watch them
well as soon as they see me, they all know me, I have a rep for throwing folks out
they huddle up
and then the first one heads across the street to the farm??
OK I turn around and catch the first guy, before he hits the property line, and give the, where you think your hunting, and as always, I get the, OH I have permission to hunt here
I call BS, as I know NO one has permission to hunt this farm but me, as a fact, I am in charge of hunting on the lands
so that's a lie, well, I also know the owner of the lands bordering the farm, also, have NO hunting allowed
so, he isn't hunting there either
well the rest of the group see me giving this guy crap,. and come down, as if the group showing up is going to change the answers
so I get into a slight debate about them trespassing, and well they soon decided to leave, all pissed at me, for ruining there day/hunt
well Crap, if they played by the rules, this wouldn't be an issue I tell them, and there lucky I didn't let them trespass and then just have them arrested!
they are warned about coming back, as a second time will be a felony, and in which, if I catch them I willfollow up to the fullest I can, which will result in them not being legally able to own a firearm again!(cannot own one with a felony charge on your record)
they bitch and moan but leave
its now3:40 pm, I'm kinda pissed, wasting my time again on jerks?
so I change and get up a tree
at 5 m, 9 doe show up a small 6 pointers and a red fox
so did get to see a couple deer at the end
but Man I hate trespassers, and cheaters, too lazy to get a place to hunt legally on there own!
and in late season too, guess they figured no one would be here today? wrong> I will be out every day in late season!

89trackerpro17
12-27-2013, 11:45 AM
I know what you mean. Lazy trespassers. Hard enough finding a place to hunt of your own yet jerks like that coming in on your property.

mrbb
12-27-2013, 12:15 PM
I know, this yr was the worse one in all my yrs, for folks/cheaters/slob hunters, surrounding my place all hunting illegally, almost every darn day I had about 10+ guys hunting within feet of the border of this farm, and all of them, had no right to be there, as its all posted and non hunting lands
and the killer for me is, all the deer live off property, so they have to get past all these jerks to get to where I can legally hunt them
makes you either want to just give up hunting here at times, or just maybe jion them and be outlaws too, as seems no one enforces anything, hell even when they trespassed and killed a deer on my side out of one of my dam tree stands, the game warden wouldn;t even help!
I am almost ready to quit hunting all together after this season, just don't have the drive, all my hard work planting food plots so others can kill the deer I feed, is just getting old
and if I stopped planting the food plots, the deer would stop coming here, so?? who know's, next yr I think I am going to sell a lot of my grea and pack it in, the fun isn't there any more for me!

nomad_archer
12-27-2013, 10:15 PM
Dont let the bums ruin it for you. Just not worth it. Personally I cannot wait to get out on my birthday Jan 6th and see what I can see. I have 2 doe in the freezer this year so I am just taking a walk with my bow to explore some local lands. I dont expect much but I am taking my climber because I just need some time in the stand. I lost my grandfather on christmas day and after the whirlwind travel he was living in a home by may aunt in California. So lots of travel for the funeral. I will enjoy the day in the woods and I will give me some time alone to process everything and reflect on the good times.

mrbb
12-28-2013, 10:06 AM
Well Nomad, sorry to hear about your loss, its hard to loose a family member, and on holiday, it can be even harder
I lost a girlfriend on X mas morning a few yrs back, so can relate alittle on this
I have been loosing interest in hunting alot last few yrs, and all this crap, with cheaters, trespassers, poachers, and a lack of help from the game dept, I am very seriously thinking of calling it quits
I been hunting almost 90 days a yr for the past almost 30 yrs, hunted all over the UsA, Canada
and the joy isn't there no more
its just not the same, will maybe go out a few times yet this yr, but could care less about killing a deer, or the time in the woods, its more out of habit, and maybe mor3 to just throw people out, as they piss me off
which makes hunting miserable for me anymore, sit in a tree and just be pissed off at them, not caring about hunting any more
pretty sure this will be the last season for me

ed1315
12-28-2013, 12:02 PM
Mrbb: sorry to here about you situation. i have enjoyed reading your posts and have respected your passing on the Little ones. Where I hunt as soon as the leaves turn it is a free for all with gun shots every morning through archery season. while I have not seen anybody on my land, the deer pass onto surrounding properties that are all hunted and the deer disapear quickly.

Nomad_Archer: prayers to you and your family

mrbb
12-28-2013, 04:01 PM
Well here I go again, skipped hunting yesterday, lack of motivation I guess, get to farm today, decided to take a ride down the road, see who's parked off property, so I have an idea where to go look for trespassers, and first truck I find, no lie, I took a picture, is
Mossy Oak Properties, truck, with IL tags and plates, they have a trailer, and unloaded an atv, ran over a broken down gate??
Humm?? Really, just what I need, some TV show here, getting even more folks to trespass? Crap, there on NO HUNTING property too???
if that doesn't take the cake??
so, deside no hunting today, will just look for trespassers
walk the far side, and what do I find, some one has placed orange marking tape on to property, 100 yrds past property line and on my side, to a tree, all torn up from a climber?? Come?they walked past about 10 big yellw no trespassing signs too, even tore 3 down as they placed there marking tape???
lucky no one was in the tree, might have shot them today, as I am getting pissed with these jerks//
SO ONWARD I go, find another treestand, just 12 inches away from a tree with a posted sign on it, off property, so????
I give up?? 15 Yrs of trying to do QDM on this property, and having 90% of the bucks I would shoot killed by poachers before season, then half of the 10% left by trespassers, is getting pointless
in 15 yrs I killed 2 target bucks, and one last yr was only due to being shot in the ass with a 22 teice and limping; was going to let it go another yr?? But??
I have tagged 3 bucks other have shot and left wounded, eating my only buck tag, had a neighbor steal a buck I shot And left go over night, lost countless tree stands and trail camera's to thieves??
I give up
this is and has been a money pit, and way too many hrs chasing people and bucks that were already killed before I even had a legal chance at them
I give up
I'll post a pic of Mossy Oak properties late for you all to see????

mrbb
12-28-2013, 06:13 PM
well here are the pic's of Mossy Oak Properties truck today parked next to a gate, to the private property lands that border where I hunt, that is also NON hunting lands, and posted no trespassing and NO hunting ! there was a gate blocking a road, that someone tore down a few weeks ago, and they went thru it with there ATV that was on this trailer, NOW I cannot say why they are there IF there hunting or not, but??? , I know they are hunters and also buyers of hunting lands, so?? but this is a property that is currently and just approved to have 1,00 homes built on it, so as far as I know its NOT for sale, and there building homes on it right now so???
makes me wonder!
and its just 3rd day of late season deer season here and I know of no other reason anyone would be there this time of yr
I blacked out there plate number as I do not want troubles if I am wrong or ?? as I have not heard there side of things, and do not know why ther are here!
but again, I have tons of issue's with trespassers, there plates are from Illinois, and this is PA, so its not like its a local out for a walk!
last yr I caught several folks from out of state, so?? that's nothing new for me here!
but ?? what can you do if you don't own the lands, and the owner that does doesn't care or help matters!

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z457/mrbb1/mossyoak2_zps416347aa.jpg (http://s1190.photobucket.com/user/mrbb1/media/mossyoak2_zps416347aa.jpg.html)

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z457/mrbb1/mossyoak1_zps00a7a7cc.jpg (http://s1190.photobucket.com/user/mrbb1/media/mossyoak1_zps00a7a7cc.jpg.html)

Strother23
12-29-2013, 10:34 PM
Wow.. That is crazy to hear. It is sad that you have to deal with that. Trespassing and thieves are so bad the they take the enjoyment away from hunting. Well don't give up on hunting. Then they win. Maybe if possible you can hunt other areas that are under less pressure. I know you said you are a land owner but maybe other hunting areas might bring back some of the fun of hunting or chasing the target bucks. Again sorry to hear all the problems

mrbb
12-29-2013, 11:12 PM
Thanks, I have acccess to tons of places to hunt, but its the fact I spent the past 15 yrs, and thousands and thousands of dollars, and cannot even enjoy hunting there, that was the point of getting the place, to have my own place
having to go else where, is insult to injury at this point!
its been a few yrs since I enjoyed hunting any ways, so I think this in my last deer seaon hunting for deer

tpjeep
12-31-2013, 10:34 AM
Have you tried involving the law, I think after that much of an investment in time, and money, I would go to every possible measure to resolve at least some of it, That is crazy

mrbb
12-31-2013, 11:50 AM
Have I tried involving the law???
yes many many many times, hell this past Nov, I had a guy shoot a deer from one of MY treestands, and then leave it dead 50 ft from the tree, guy was at the road, when I called my game warden, and they refused to even talk to the guy, didn't even want to come and get the deer? So zero help with the law?
that's maybe the worst part, like salt on a wound
so yes I have tried that
I found out yesterday, that a large section of land near me is for sale, which I think now explains the Mossy oak Properties truck now, MAYBE???

213chrisp
12-31-2013, 01:41 PM
could wait till you find people in your land, and take a pistol as you walk around and when you find them, just start shooting at something on the ground or near you and say your "target praticing" lol.... but yea i would be higly pissed as well and that is a very good chance as to why that truck was there, but im not sure if that truly is a mossyoak farm truck, anyone can just get stickers like that, i would think anyway.

213chrisp
12-31-2013, 01:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTYwoNwO89Q

i would think there trucks would look more like that.......

mrbb
12-31-2013, 02:24 PM
well its funny you say that about shooting, I once tok an AR for a walk one day and shot off a couple hundred rounds while a guy sat in a tree about 20 yrds from me, and he didn't even seem to care?? and that's not a good option, as all it does is keep deer away on there side of the fence, not helping matter even more
I always walk the property carrying a gun, I am a firm believer in being able to use my rights, and these days never know what a jerk outlaw will do, so I go in prepared to say the least
and I am 99% sure the truck I seen is an official truck, way too many stircker to be just a fellow fan, and with the state plates, being almost 2,000 miles around, and where they have office;s at, I am pretty sure its there's, and again, just found out that a few thousand acres came up for sale , close to where they were parked, and the gated road they were parked at was an round about way access road to the property, it makes more sense now, I don't think they were hunting, but still?? just gets fustrating having so much going on next door, on a property that shouldn't really have anyone on it!! like I said, I never accused them of hunting, just was saying never know and with past history of what goes on next to me, I am ready to call it quits
and the only good part of it all is if I do, is hunting next to me will suck if I stop planting all I do, as I am the only farm for miles, and I feed 80% of all the deer in this dam area, so If I stop feeding them, odds are many deer will move on or, sadly die, as the are is WAY over populated with deer, and if I stop feeding them, that's what will happen
if these dam herks would start shooting doe, life would be easier, but seems here, there not meat hunters/cheaters, they are only after bucks, making for a way off tilt buck to doe ratio, and killing any QDM I have tried for yrs and yrs
Like I said, its very very likely this is my last yr hunting and planting food plots and maybe even crops in all
just not worth the money anymore or effort

213chrisp
12-31-2013, 02:44 PM
maybe find out who the new property owner becomes next to you and work with them on efforts with control? esp if its mossyoak properties, im sure they could work with you and you know if they was to buy that land you wouldnt be the only one feeding deer anymore in your area, but that info might be hard to come across esp if others was to find out then they would continue to corss paths, maybe send emails to dnr in your area or attend open house meetings or anything like that and see what they suggest since i know you have had bad luck with your LOCAL wardens but that doesnt mean the state wont have any word or suggestions for you?
or could setup an electric fence around your land that way when idiots try to climb over your boarders they would get zapped, be kinda funny to watch that but i would bet that ISNT cheap.
just tossing some ideas out there for you.

the reason why i suggested the gun was just to scare the deer away from your location at that moment forcing the hunters to pack up and move on.

mrbb
12-31-2013, 11:40 PM
well , thanks for the suggestions, But I have been down all them roads
fist off, there is almost 3.25 miles of borders on this property where I hunt, so a fence, to say costly is an understatement, and all anyone would do is cut holes in it and cost me more $$ to fix, or a HUGE electric bill to power the crap out of it, and then would ned a ton of insurance to not kill anynone from shocking the dummys, as I know there are dumb one's enough to climb any amount of power here LOL

next, my state is useless, as for starters, I have been to many many meeting from game dept, to local gov and so on
IN PA< the game dept doesn't handle trespassing, its NOT there job and they are more than happy to tell you it
local police will tell you to call state ploice, and state police will tell you to call the local police, a big pass the buck deal
next, even if I get a cop here to catch a trespasser in the act, if I take them to court
it will cost me more in legal fee's to have them cited, than they will pay in fines
so its pointless
BUT what I have going for me, is a threat option, call it plan B
in PA< we have two lawa that work to my advantage some what
\we have whjat they call chriminal trespass, and ag trespass
both are felony charge's
BUt in order to get them on that, I have to more or less first catch them and tell them they are trespassing
so that's more or less what I do, I warn all I catch with this info, try to take there picture too when I catch so I can prove they were warned by me
if they get caught a second time I can have them arrested and it will be a felony charge, they will loose there rights to own a firearm
normally me telling them this, stops them from coming back, to date I have not caught a person a second time ON the property, but do see them all the time on the border, where I have nothing I can do??
the land owner next to me, bordering me on 3 sides, say 70% of the property, is a gated private housing development
that has a NO hunting ban on all of its property, BUT sadly they do not and will not help me stop folks from hunting it
they have this theory, as long as people in the housing development don't complain, they don't want to hear about it
the fact they use this land to access mine, again, in not a law I can enforce in PA, even if I get things stolen,unless caught red handed and a cop will show up(I say will show up, as most police depts here don't feel trespassing is a major , first prioriety , get there fast kind of a call) and I cannot hold people just trespassing, without me maybe loosing my cool and hurting one LOL
its a loosing battle
NOW about Mossy Oak Properties, if they buy the 2500 acres up for sale near me, there is about 150+ yrds at the narrowest point between my property and whats for sale, so really they won't be much of a help
and secondly, they buy lands to sell, so even if there a great company, they don't buy lands to hold and manage, all the more so here in NE PA!
so again, I have tried all the option I can, more or less
only other option I could still do, would be to hire guards to patrol and arrest folks on site for a more costs to me deal, than them, and then have to pay guards on top of fee's to take them to court
PA Sucks, its that simple
if our state game dept, would work up and get off there ass, and find a way to be able to cite for trespassing, it would be a HUGE help all over PA< as trespassing is a BIG problem here, due to lax laws about it
they would , make a ton of money too, and have a whole new out look from private land ownwers as well, as all the land owners I know, sort of dis like the game dept here due to so much mis handling of wildlife and lack of help with issue's
ask about any PA hunters what they think about them, and odds are they will not have great things to say!
and its Very sad, Pa has a ton of great things going for it wildlife wise, and so much land to work with, a pure shame
I am in a loosing situation, about to get worse, due to timber harvesting , that is going to expose the place to even more people that didn' t know this farm was here, as it is land locked from view due to all the timber, but once it gets cut down, it will be in plain view from the main roads, which I am sure will just open the door to a ton more trespassers, come next yr
I will very highly NOT be hunting next yr, I will be patrolling the property, and arresting all I can, on the AG trespass law, might be hiring a cop too, instead of paying for food plots, might use that money to just ruin some jerks day!
OH and again, as for the gun fire, when 90% of the deer live off property, shooting more will just make them stay on there side helping them, and I do not want to help them at all, I don't even walk the property in last hr of daylight due to this reason, or so, and not in early AM hrs either, as it just pushes any deer on my side to them

ed1315
01-03-2014, 09:04 PM
Maybe you don't need to quit. Just take a break. I started hunting many years ago for small game (there wasn't many deer around then) then did not hunt for a very long time until I bought land that had deer. The same with fishing, I use to do all kinds of fishing, I even fished for bait and sold to bait shops.. I have not fished at all last year even though I have a good stocked pond of my own. I will get back to it though... someday. When I hunt or fish, I put at lot of time, money, effort into it and it sounds like you do too. sometimes though I get burnt out and have to take off a season or two. Then I come back stronger.

mrbb
01-03-2014, 11:02 PM
thanks, but to be honest lst few yrs hunting has been something I been doing due to habit, and not joy
I still enjoyed planting food plots and spending time in the outdoors, just lost the joy in hunting
I used to enjoy hunting out of state more, and that came to an end 3 yrs ago, between places I hunted for yrs, an owner and good friend dying, and then loosing my job, and my budget for out of state hunting trips, and then my bird dog passing away, and hunting traveling companion that he was
times have changed, hunting isn't what it once was, too moderized for me anymore, too many folks cheat, take short cuts and there isn't that drive anymore to learn nature, its all TV and lost the ?? it once was!
I too used to fish, have tons of gear, and haven't done it in yrs due to same reason, gave up having fun at it, and never went back
feel hunting is on that road now for me
even started selling some of the guns, somethinmg yrs back I never thought I would ever have done
just don;t care anymore I guess!