PDA

View Full Version : and they are falling off

mrbb
12-11-2013, 06:23 PM
OK so was out hunting this evening, and on my way to check my trail cam, near my stand, I found this, about 10 feet from my camera, or might have caught it falling off in a picture

this is very early for sheds in my area, but , its been super cold the past few days, so???? who know's

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z457/mrbb1/firstshedoftheyr2013_zpsef755b67.jpg (http://s1190.photobucket.com/user/mrbb1/media/firstshedoftheyr2013_zpsef755b67.jpg.html)

nomad_archer
12-11-2013, 08:11 PM
I've been hearing about alot of people getting bucks this year and having the antlers coming off. It may have to do with the early cold and snows that came in early november.

mrbb
12-11-2013, 09:11 PM
yeah I gheard a few had one side come off while dragging out too, but to be fair, go back 15-20 yrs ago, when we always had lots of snow in even oct and cold from then till spring, they stayed on long after buck season, and into late season, was rare to even get one in Jan with them off
I think maybe the lack of acorns this yr, or who really know why LOL they just come off when there ready I think haha! some sooner than others, was just dumb luck today to find this one just near the cam, I almost stepped on it !

NGonzo0208
12-27-2013, 09:52 AM
My friend shot what he thought was a doe yesterday and turns out it was a buck that had shed already. I've never heard of them shedding this early.

SLIDER0906
01-08-2014, 12:56 AM
I hunt in Hocking/Vinton area, and its always early. Ive killed deer as early as mid December that i thought were does that ended up being bucks with both sides dropped. A friend shot a nice buck this past Saturday during muzzledloader season that had only one side. Where we hunt there is no agriculture for a few miles, and it seems that once the food is depleted and it gets cold, the antlers are quick to fall... Sucks for guys like myself who havent filled the buck tag yet!!!!

mrbb
01-08-2014, 02:10 AM
Well I grew up hunting in all forested area lands, zero farm for 25 or more miles away, and had bucks in april with antlers on, so I don't think where they li e at matters
I've come to the , antlers come off more based on when they started growing, as if a buck was born early in may or june, there antlers just start growing sooner,, thus fall off sooner
the farm I am on, I can deer shed antlers in mid dec, and some will hold them till late march, all same herd deer, with same food supply

tonight in my back yard I had two small bucks show up with half racks on, other side shed, so there dropping now it seems, might be a good time to go for a walk and look