PDA

View Full Version : Hows everyones RUT?

bflem55
11-17-2013, 03:54 PM
I have does coming in with no bucks behind them..... a week and a half ago they were chasing a little, but now I get does with no bucks and sometimes see the young bucks come out a hour or so before sunset. Does this mean they are in lockdown around me ?

mrbb
11-18-2013, 12:24 PM
RUT, What RUT??
I had none up my way, and the season came and went with zero buck chasing going on for me
so what rut??
crazy weather warm cold warm cold warm cold, the dam full moon
played hell on things here, and the fact I have a way out of wack buck to doe ratio, didn't help me at all this yr

OH well
I did pass on several nice 120+ class bucks, so maybe rifle season or late season will be better for me on a big one!

Stonegod
11-18-2013, 02:46 PM
The rut is going great where I'm hunting.

nomad_archer
11-18-2013, 02:52 PM
RUT, What RUT??
I had none up my way, and the season came and went with zero buck chasing going on for me
so what rut??
crazy weather warm cold warm cold warm cold, the dam full moon
played hell on things here, and the fact I have a way out of wack buck to doe ratio, didn't help me at all this yr

OH well
I did pass on several nice 120+ class bucks, so maybe rifle season or late season will be better for me on a big one!

Sounds like what I had at my cabin in NW PA last week. It was cold like 24 degree mornings with highs between 32-45 we had snow most of the week and the deer were just feeding and laying down. The deer would cover less then 30 yards in half an hour. I saw one buck and he was just going for a walk he wasn't chasing. The full moon really did have the deer messed up. As soon as it was dark there were deer everywhere jumping across the road getting back to the cabin. My dad had hunted the first two weeks of November and didn't see anything that looked like a rut.

MJH
11-18-2013, 03:39 PM
Non existing around me!

Mike

bflem55
11-18-2013, 04:34 PM
so is anybody thinking since we just had this full moon and bad weather roll through that the does will come into estorous and they will be rutting now????

nomad_archer
11-18-2013, 04:47 PM
They may be... The full moon and around me snow means the bucks were doing the majority of their movement at night which was evident with the shear number of deer I saw on the 10 minute drive back to the cabin. I was seeing 5-15 deer on that short drive just after it got dark.

00buck
11-18-2013, 06:16 PM
well the rut has been slow i have only seen chasing once and no tending like years past i have rattled every sit and have nothing coming in

mrbb
11-18-2013, 06:48 PM
well talking to all my hunting buddy's here in pa, some in NE, some if N central and some down in SE
NO one had any action of a bucks chasing doe's or even grunting about or fights/sparring
and its funny, as in the SE and NE, we have tons of doe, and up in the N central, part at y hunting camp, its just super low deer numbers all sex's
and even up there with them legally going out with a spot light at nite from like 8-10 pm, in past yrs they always seens bcuks dogging does in fields, and this yr, NO action at all
I think up here its just going to be a later rut, today at the farm I seen one buck out following a doe at 1 pm, a small 6 pointer, but it was a mid day walk behind a doe, so looks like something was going on LOl but since archery ended here on Saturday, not doing me any good !!
too little too late
and come gun season, when the orange army hits the woods, all 750,000 of them, any rut action then gets cold FAST as the lead starts flying! seems even the bucks up here learned no piece of ass is worth getting shot over LOl and they go nocturnal real fast and hide all day!

nomad_archer
11-19-2013, 07:39 AM
mrbb it has been an odd year. Guess the rut will happen during the bear season this year. At least it will be exciting for those boys looking for a bear.

whodey1966
11-19-2013, 11:18 AM
It has been non existent for me too!

tim1676
11-19-2013, 11:28 AM
In Greene Co I about 2 1/2 weeks ago I saw four younger bucks, 2 1/2 yo's, sparring with 5 does in the same field watching. Since then I have seen only 4 or 5 does at different times/days with the exception of last Saturday morning. Sat morning I saw 3 does feeding in a cut corn field and after about 45 minutes one buck, couldn't tell how big, came in the field and chased one of the does into the woods.

Thats been it for my last 2 weeks or so

OHPA
11-20-2013, 08:23 AM
I hunt in NE Ohio and also NW PA. I took an 8 pointer in NW Pa. on November 5. I actually called him in with a bleat can. He was walking away from me. Tried grunting, nothing. 2-3 bleat can calls turned him and he came in from about 70 yards to within 20. The day before, I saw 9 bucks and 4 does. Three were chasing. Most were in the area due to feeding on acorns. I had never seen so many deer come from hundred of yards away to the same area to feed on acorns. I was hunting in wide open mountain woods in Warren Pa. A real eye opener for the acorn fest. This buck came to feed on the acorns also, but did not stay long. That was when I called him in.
Before that trip to Pa., I was seeing very little in Ohio. Starting on November 13, is when I started to see regular chasing or cruising mainly in the mornings in Ohio. I hunt in Wellington, OH area and Ravenna, OH area. Mostly was seeing small bucks. I did see a mature 7 pointer(5 on the right snd 2 on the left). Left side was messes up. They came in as he had her in lockdown(bedded) within 33 yards of me. A 4 pointer tried to come in and he chased him off. Very cool to watch. The mature buck watched her like a hawk and moved when she moved. The 4 pointer bedded down 70 yards from them and watched them. Went on for a couple hours. I could have taken a shot, but I was not to into taking him due to his messed up left side. There are bigger deer in the area. He was new to me as I have not seen him on film.
I guess I have been lucky as I have seen quite a bit of crusiing, chasing and a lock down. Not sure if I beleive it, but Charlie Alscheimer of Deer and Deer hunting predicted a late rut with the best days from Nov. 15-22. 104211042210423

mrbb
11-20-2013, 03:48 PM
I hunt in NE Ohio and also NW PA. I took an 8 pointer in NW Pa. on November 5. I actually called him in with a bleat can. He was walking away from me. Tried grunting, nothing. 2-3 bleat can calls turned him and he came in from about 70 yards to within 20. The day before, I saw 9 bucks and 4 does. Three were chasing. Most were in the area due to feeding on acorns. I had never seen so many deer come from hundred of yards away to the same area to feed on acorns. I was hunting in wide open mountain woods in Warren Pa. A real eye opener for the acorn fest. This buck came to feed on the acorns also, but did not stay long. That was when I called him in.
Before that trip to Pa., I was seeing very little in Ohio. Starting on November 13, is when I started to see regular chasing or cruising mainly in the mornings in Ohio. I hunt in Wellington, OH area and Ravenna, OH area. Mostly was seeing small bucks. I did see a mature 7 pointer(5 on the right snd 2 on the left). Left side was messes up. They came in as he had her in lockdown(bedded) within 33 yards of me. A 4 pointer tried to come in and he chased him off. Very cool to watch. The mature buck watched her like a hawk and moved when she moved. The 4 pointer bedded down 70 yards from them and watched them. Went on for a couple hours. I could have taken a shot, but I was not to into taking him due to his messed up left side. There are bigger deer in the area. He was new to me as I have not seen him on film.
I guess I have been lucky as I have seen quite a bit of crusiing, chasing and a lock down. Not sure if I beleive it, but Charlie Alscheimer of Deer and Deer hunting predicted a late rut with the best days from Nov. 15-22. 104211042210423
well congrats on a PA kill, and I have been out and about all week since season ended and still not seeing any more action here in NE Pa
just a bad yr it seems for a great rut to go on

steelermags
11-21-2013, 08:21 PM
OH HUNT - my father and I hunted Ohio, Noble County the first full week of November. Started first day with afternoon hunt on Sunday, November 3rd - from 2 to dusk saw deer and three different 1.5 year old bucks. Monday saw 9 bucks over the course of the day -passed up (2) 120" bucks -all bucks were by themselves and cruising. Tuesday (4) bucks in the morning hunt with 2 being the same from the day before. Wednesday (6) bucks over the course of the day -again all cruising edges of fields searching. Thursday 1/2 day saw (3) different buck passed a different 8 point -120" ??. All the bucks we have on camera over 130" never made an appearance during these days. We continued to get them at night. My theory is the younger bucks 1.5-2 year olds were cruising looking for a hot doe and the older mature bucks just held tight and move a night. Like the rest of you, hoping late season will be better. Dad hunted the OH yesterday and saw 3 buck but again no shooters! I agree that rut will be late - it seems that 1st week of November they were getting excited and on the move so I would have thought the following week would of been hot but it never happened.

Bushman
11-22-2013, 10:53 AM
Trickle rut for sure. Seeing activity on and off the past 3 wks. I thought this week would be lights out but its not. The full moon this late in nov. seems to have the bucs/rutting off of their game this year.

deerguy10
11-23-2013, 09:56 AM
The first week of Nov. I was seeing chasing by mostly small bucks and a buddy who hunts with me rattled in a few small bucks and a shooter that stayed just out of range. Since then things have been really slow. the last time I was on stand was Tuesday 11/12 and I saw 2 does being chased by a button buck who was grunting like crazy. I had never seen a button buck do that before so it was pretty cool to watch. I plan to get in the woods this afternoon so we'll see how it goes today. I was thinking that this COLD weather would spark a little more activity this weekend. but, I didn't see a single deer this morning as a drove 45 minutes into work which includes driving through the Cuyahoga Valley National park. I see deer almost everyday in the park even when conditions aren't good for deer movement, so not too see any this morning surprised me. Hopefully this afternoon is better once I am able to get in a stand!

Bushman
11-23-2013, 11:08 AM
Hope everyones wearin their orange w the yout hunt goin on.

alpine
11-24-2013, 10:50 AM
I saw the first buck doe chase by a mature buck yesterday in NC but I could not get a shoot it was too thick

deerguy10
11-24-2013, 12:44 PM
Well I never made it to the woods yesterday. I got home and as soon as i got in the shower and grabbed the scent free soap my phone started ringing about the snow in the northeast. So I had to dry off and head back into work to make sure the snow plow stuff was ready to go... my dad and my buddy made it out to freeze their butts off and saw a handfull of does each. No bucks and no noticeable rutting activity. not sure if i am going to be able to make it out this afternoon either. If I do I will report...

zachc
11-25-2013, 08:03 PM
I went out 3 Sundays ago (evening hunt), laid a good estrous scent trail, everything was perfect, had 3 does within 12 yards of my stand for about 20 minutes, couldn't get a shot due to all the eyes so close. I was really waiting for one of the bruisers to come in following them...yeah that never happened! Went out last Monday (morning hunt) after all that crazy rain, sat from about 7-10:30, thinking the rain stopped and the temp dropped big time...something should be moving right?....definitely not, didn't see a single thing. Even tried
some calling and a lil rattling. Sat yesterday (evening hunt), again did everything as before, and again everything was perfect...not one deer was moving. Haven't seen much of any rutting activity this year, it takes me almost an hour to get to work and most of it is through (by) woods/fields and haven't seen any chasing out there either. So I dont know whats going on....

steelermags
11-26-2013, 08:50 PM
Definitely a strange year. Will be heading out to OH for opening day next Monday. Hoping some snow stays on the ground. Cameras as of last week still showing mature bucks moving a night. Only got 1 (8) point that we believe is a 5 year old right before dusk last week.

Birdddog
11-28-2013, 04:24 PM
Friday night the 22nd and Saturday morning, before day light, deer were everywhere! Bucks, does, and everything in between. Once the sun came up, nothing. It's been the same thing from Franklin county to Morgan county, night movement.

blackbeard
11-30-2013, 08:31 AM
so is anybody thinking since we just had this full moon and bad weather roll through that the does will come into estorous and they will be rutting now????

If you believe Charles Alsheimer's research at all, the main breeding starts a few days after the rutting full moon (second full moon after the autumnal equinox) and lasts for about 7-10 days. But bucks have been breeding does off and on since late October. The rut in my part of the state was not a good one though. There was no real intense seeking or chasing periods, seeking and chasing just happened in spurts starting in late October. I only saw two bucks chase a doe, on 11/08 and 11/14. I, and many others I talk to, blame it on the low doe numbers. There are a lot less does than there used to be.

whodey1966
11-30-2013, 09:28 AM
In my county (clinton) I have not seen one buck chasing a doe this season! doe sightings are down. trickle rut for sure.

ed1315
11-30-2013, 10:23 AM
Went out yesterday, Saw a buck 9:30 am at 70yds crossing in front of me across a drainage ditch on the next hill in woods. I did a couple soft bleats and he turn and came back into view. Then he made a few steps toward me and now at 60yds turned and left the way he came moving fast through the whole ordeal. I waited for him to circle but never did. He was the only deer I saw. This year started great but is tough now

blackbeard
12-01-2013, 11:42 PM
Yep, if you weren't fortunate enough to kill a buck with a bow before now, the orange army arrives tomorrow and your chance with a bow after this week just went down considerably.

ed1315
12-07-2013, 08:18 PM
For gun season this year, I put down a bunch of corn and stayed out of the woods... Last year I did not see a huge buck till late Dec. but every year is different!