PDA

View Full Version : New to hunting Ohio

DGBowhunter
11-04-2013, 06:45 PM
Hi everyone like the title says I am new to ohio so its totally different from the west virginia hunting i am used to. If anyone could help me out on how to setup on some bucks or give me some tips it would be greatly appreciated.* I am hunting in highland county on a friends farm which is alot of corn and soybean fields and not the mountains i am used to so i could use some tips thanks

rzylkie
11-05-2013, 07:25 PM
Hi everyone like the title says I am new to ohio so its totally different from the west virginia hunting i am used to. If anyone could help me out on how to setup on some bucks or give me some tips it would be greatly appreciated.* I am hunting in highland county on a friends farm which is alot of corn and soybean fields and not the mountains i am used to so i could use some tips thanks

The best I can tell you is they will use corn until it's cut, I would find the thickest part you have and then I would look for areas with any oak trees that are or have been dropping acorns.hunt those two areas and you should see deer.

DGBowhunter
11-06-2013, 12:20 AM
ok will do thanks alot

Stumpy
11-06-2013, 07:45 AM
As with just about anywhere that whitetail call home, don't neglect the edges. They are creatures who love the edges and breaks in the terrain. Not only edges like woods/crop fields, look for transition zones. Where pines meet the hardwoods, openings in the hardwoods, clear cuts, etc.. They find cover and food sources here and travel patterns can be pretty obvious sometimes. This time of year hunt the does and you should see the bucks. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Strother23
11-06-2013, 03:15 PM
If the fields have any tree lines check if there are game trails where they go through the tree lines. Also hunt the corner of the fields some times the farmers have a hard time to make sharper turns and food is left over in the corners of corn/soy bean fields. Depending on how big the fields are and how long you can see you'll probably need nice optics.
Good luck