PDA

View Full Version : hunting by moon phase

Cheif
10-16-2013, 08:14 AM
How many of you look at the moon phase when hunting and do you believe deer movement increases or decreases at certain phases of the moon. i have been paying attention to this a aot lately and i would some like some insight from you guys as well. In my mind I'm thinking during waning phases and definitely during new moon where moonlight is decreasing. Then this would put deer on the move earlier in the evening. am i correct in thinking this way.

nomad_archer
10-16-2013, 09:13 AM
I haven't put a lot of stock in it as hunting time for me is limited so I hunt whenever I can in whatever conditions are there. This year however I am paying attention to the barometric pressure to see how that corresponds to deer movement. There are plenty of studies to the correlation between deer activity and barometric pressure so we will just say I am paying some attention to it this year.

mrbb
10-16-2013, 09:58 AM
well I am sure it has some effect on there movements
all I read about it is, on full moons, they Claim, more movements in the early am hrs of daylight
but I don't plan any hunts about it
I hunt when ever I feel like it or want to
and i don't really hunt mornings here on the farm i hunt in pa, due to 15 = yrs of trying, few if any deer are on the property when the sun comes up, most bed off properrty
so that study that found mornings movements increase with full moons, doesn't help me lol
last few yrs i have hunted just about every day of hunting season allowed in pa, minus heavy rains days
and here all i can say is , pressure from people rule deer movements, not moon or weather or the rut
once people start to shoot a lot, wander about the lands and well kill a few deer
they all tend to move just at last light ,and the hrs it dark
and i think its learned behavior of deer all over that learned safest time to move and eat is at nite,regardless of moon lol

whodey1966
10-16-2013, 04:02 PM
I don't pay any attention to it. I hunt whenever I can.

deerguy10
10-16-2013, 04:48 PM
I have limited time to hunt as well, so I hunt when ever I am able. Over the last couple of years I started paying attention to the moon phase. In my opinion Moon phase does effect deer movement but, comes secondary to weather and obviously human pressure. If the weather conditions are right It seems that I can count on deer to be moving. When the moon phase and good weather conditions align it seems to amplify deer activity and movement. I have noticed that I have seen more deer on their feet earlier during the moon phases around the new moon both waxing and waning when coupled with the right weather. That being said, there has been times when it seemed like the moon phase and weather were going to be perfect and I haven't seen a single deer. I'm sure that not seeing deer then had more to do with a change in food source that I had not noticed or the deer being pressured and changing their patterns. I would guess they were up and moving just not where I was at. I have also seen deer when I thought there was a good chance that I wouldn't. So, I hunt when I can but there is certainly times when I Know the odds are better.

Strother23
10-16-2013, 05:01 PM
I pay attention to it. Wouldn't say that i have a pattern that the deer are in. The info isn't enough to not make me hunt if it is a full moon. I hunt as much as I can. The best location of your stand and more time spent in the stand are where you have the best chances of success.

00buck
10-16-2013, 05:31 PM
I don't pay any attention to it. I hunt whenever I can.

same here with family and work i go when it is possible

blackbeard
10-17-2013, 08:17 AM
I pay attention to it but don't let it dictate if or when I hunt. Definitely never had much luck hunting around full moons, new moons the opposite.