PDA

View Full Version : hunting rant and vent

smokin_aces
10-14-2013, 07:01 PM
So every year the spot inhave to hunt is somewhat ok until these guys from PA cone down. There is a 30 acre lot behind my dad's 5acres that I hunt. It is bank property am I've hunted it my whole life. Well a few years back the property next to dad's went up for auction and was bought by some old men from PA. Well last year was my first run in with them since getting out of the service. And the following happened. Deer activity was decent up until the day they showed up.All tthey do is venture around the woods wherever with no respect to anyone else. I've found them puttina. Blind within 20 yards of my stand,hunting my stand and walking to my stand with me in it without a care in the world. Thwyve shot deer on my dad's property without permission and whole 9 yards. I tried talking to them last year and told them I would be hunting my stand and they said ok. Well I let it sit to cool down a little from all the pressure theyve applied and to cone and find them in it. This year they've been here for a few days in which I haven't seen a deer since and I talked to them when they first got in told them I was hunting the same spot and they replied saying they would stay out of it. Well the following day I talked to them and they tell me. Oh I seen where your hunting at blah blah and what do you know haven't had a deer on cam or seen one and today it has really set in cause I've been on the stand all day minus a short lunch break. So with that being said I don't know what to do any ore and don't have anywhere else to hunt. The bad news is they switch off for weeks in a row so I'm kinda stuck and I can't tell them to leave the area I hunt be wise it's bank ow ed property but they clearly have no ethics

bonzman17
10-14-2013, 07:34 PM
settle down Devil before you hurt someone, at least you have some land to go out to. I can understand your frustration with lack of respect and blatent disrespect for your area that you have a right to and your property. what you could do and yes it seems childish but if you catch them on your land and in your stand call the cops. I'm sure a few tickets can resovle all of it. Down side is you then made an ememy for good and if you happen to get a deer and it runs to their side you are kind of screwed. just sayin anyway semer fi brother.

smokin_aces
10-14-2013, 09:02 PM
Yea I kno but it's hard when I'm there and they come down and completely ruin the area. I've been being nice and talking to them bout it with no luck. So tomorrow I think I'm goin to go squirrel hunting over there and start scouting a different ridge. I hate moving this late bit who knows. In the mean time I'll get a mess of squirrels since we haven't hunted them in about 7 years so needless to say they have the place over run. I kno the deer aren't gone just taking another route so I'll be in search of that and who knows what I might find. I tried this last year but with no luck ended the season with two deer no bucks. And both deer came from the area that I've been hunting early. In season

bonzman17
10-14-2013, 09:06 PM
well good luck with it all at least you can get rid of some of the tree rats.

deerguy10
10-14-2013, 09:22 PM
Dealt with similar issues from guys who hunt 130 acres that borders a 17 acre property that I hunt... It's super frustrating! I had a guy put his 13 year old son in my stand and I walked in on them field dressing a 6 point that the kid had shot from my stand. More than enough other run-ins as well. It's hard not to, but, you can't lose your cool. The best thing we can do for our sport is to lead by example and hopefully some of the bad apples will get the picture. Sorry you have to deal with this. I certainly feel your pain...

mrbb
10-14-2013, 09:35 PM
well over the yrs I have had this way too often
so feel your pain
I learned long agop to make my stands NOT want to be used, by making it hard to get in them, adding locking doors on ladder stands, removing seats
even locking boards with nails on them to the seat and platform to keep jerks out looking for a free stand to hunt out of
I know you have talked to them, but I would strongly try talking to them again,a dn mentioning that you only have "X" hrs to hunt, and it costs you Money to hunt, and , granted they own lands, but your dad's isn't there's, and if they cannot play nice and respect your area's, and stand, that you will be forced to call the law in, as again, its costing you time and money
tell them you want to get along, and maybe ask if they can give you a call about when there hunting and where, and you can do the like
I had this same problem where I hunted in Ohio, owner, a super nice guy, was letting a guy from MI hunt there, he typically hunted close to the dates I did, so for about 5 yrs I asked and re asked and re asked him to let me know what dates he was going, so I could allow for a cool down time, or just not walk in on him
he never would, so last 2 yrs I would show up and ruin a days hunt on him, as I found him using my stands, the yrs before, so, gloves came off,
some times they ahve to have the experience to get the point LOL
after that he gave me a heads up, didn't ike me much, but Owner did!. and picked me over him all the time, so he had to play by the rules from then on, or find lese where

and by the way don't blame PAS hunters for thse bad apple's, were not all like that
all NON residents and residents come in different shades and skills
trust me, hunted a LOT of states, go more by the actions than the location of where they reside!

Stonegod
10-14-2013, 09:58 PM
Dealt with similar issues from guys who hunt 130 acres that borders a 17 acre property that I hunt... It's super frustrating! I had a guy put his 13 year old son in my stand and I walked in on them field dressing a 6 point that the kid had shot from my stand. More than enough other run-ins as well. It's hard not to, but, you can't lose your cool. The best thing we can do for our sport is to lead by example and hopefully some of the bad apples will get the picture. Sorry you have to deal with this. I certainly feel your pain...

To have someone trespass is bad enough....but to have the balls to actually use your stand is ridiculous. Was that on the property behind where I hunt?

smokin_aces
10-14-2013, 10:16 PM
Wasn't faulting all PA hunters that's just what I call them cause its easier than remembering names. So when I talk about it around here I usally throw a derogatory word or two in there as well. I've told them when I hunt n where so they stay away and they tend to think they can just walk back in there n check and if I'm not there use my stands.

Strother23
10-15-2013, 09:47 AM
Sorry to hear about your situation. Sounds like you have a mess on your hands. I had a guy that put up a stand on the same tree row I hunt like 200yds down. Was no woods on the property just farm filelds and tree rows. I would be in my stand and he would be walking through the field towards his stand (he was trespassing) and he didn't care. I threatened to call the police if I seen him again. Didn't see him again but he didn't take the stand down all year. He was a very disrespectful hunter always leaving trash I would pick up so the farmer wouldnt get upset. So maybe you can get the law involved if they won't play nice or like mrbb said make your stand difficult to get in or even "booby trap" your stand to teach them a lesson it sounds like the need.
Good luck with your situation. Sorry you have to deal with it.

Big_Holla
10-15-2013, 10:21 AM
If they are making all the commotion on their property only then perhaps it's a good thing? I would suspect they are running about everything off of theirs and onto yours. But if they are trespassing and aren't getting the hint then it's time to step it up before it gets worse. The bank property, is it open to anyone or do you have actual permission to hunt it? Are they going onto it as well?? Sounds like they are slob hunters that just come to bum around and very occasionally get a deer if that.

smokin_aces
10-15-2013, 11:20 AM
The bank is situated between a bunch of private property. Not sure how to go about permission on that just been hunting it all my life without a problem. These guys just wander everywhere aimlessly without a care in the world and run the deer out of the area. I haven't used a lock on there this year just my climber but I told them I was hunting there and still they think it's ok to walk all over the place. I don't know how else to go about it. The ridgeline is basically trash right now just like they did last year. That's why I figured heck w it ill try to find a new spot to hunt and just squirrel hunt that area. Least I could do is return the favor on ruining theure hunts.

mrbb
10-15-2013, 01:01 PM
well sadly I hate to say it, but if its not your land, you have NO right to tll them how or why they can hunt there
that privlage comes from owning the land, or working with the land owner
something you might try, however is,,maybe contacting the bank that own's it, and asking them for written permission, and possible
authority to throw out trespassers, and or call warden on them
making you the soul hunter on it
this way your legal, and can even offer to post it for the bank , thus maybe keeping more folks out
and showing others where the boundary lines are
and then have a place to call your hunting spot

Other wise, if your trespassing(if you don't own it or have written permission, that's what your doing)
and then your as guilty as everyone else that is using this land
I know that doesn't sit well with folks that grew up using lands, and as such tend to feel they have rights to them(big issue up my way)
but that's what happens, people FEEL they used to, so its now a right of there's
regardless of what the owner thinks, as there the one's paying for the lands, so many use for free and get bent out of shape when other use it as they do!
its a pet peeve of mine , due to all the folks I get on where I hunt that think cause 30 yrs ago they had access they still should, get in many heated debates on trespassers I catch every yr due to it!
when folks start paying for the taxes, and the land in general
its THEN they have the right to tell folks how they can or cannot hunt it
till then, your, wasting time and breaking the law!

but again, call that back and try, never know what door you can open, as banks tend to own a LOT of land, might get you more access to better grounds working with the bank!

deerguy10
10-15-2013, 01:22 PM
To have someone trespass is bad enough....but to have the balls to actually use your stand is ridiculous. Was that on the property behind where I hunt?

No... this wasn't where we hunt... it is down the road at my in-laws place... Haven't had many issues around the area you are talking about

Stonegod
10-15-2013, 03:17 PM
No... this wasn't where we hunt... it is down the road at my in-laws place... Haven't had many issues around the area you are talking about

That must be because of the signs we put up that say
"shooting range
enter at your own risk" lol

Farmboy
10-17-2013, 09:42 PM
Sorry to hear your predicament. I am willing to bet they know the bank owns it and that you do not have exclusive rights to hunt it. This, of course, is not reason for them to use your stands. Your in a real bad situation that I would do my best to find anther place to hunt. Although, I do like the idea of squirrel hunting and doing your best to ruin there hunts...it will eventually get the point thru if you do it enough because they are traveling pretty far to hunt. Maybe then they might wanna talk to you.