PDA

View Full Version : best time to kill a doe

mrbb
10-11-2013, 11:00 AM
OK so here is a question for everyone
since I know most folks don't like the new plans of having a doe season more or less in Oct with muzzleloaders,a dn limiting hunters of all weaopns to NO bucks hunting
what time of yr do you think is the best time of yr to make doe kills
look at it lets say from a state game dept end
what time of yr would you prefer them to make a doe only season, and yes I know most don't want a doe only season
but if the name of the game is deer management
doe need to be taken out, and I would think before breeding season is best
I used to think a week in Sept, would be nice, but the draw backs I think outweigh the good
many still have fawns, or very young with them, and second, due to wam weather, I fear many would go to waste, by lesser hunters willing to make the fforts to either recover or not process , two reason sI think many don't shoot doe's early to begin with
so hate to say it, I think the state has the right time frame, mid Oct for it
what does anyone else think??

I mean from a 16+ week season, loosing a week or weekend, isn't that terrible is it??

try it in a 6 week season
gets a little harder to swallow, but I do think its needed in many places, just not state wide!
LOL

nomad_archer
10-11-2013, 01:40 PM
mrbb as you know in PA we have the one week muzzy season in the middle of oct. of our 6 week season. Yes archery hunters can still shoot bucks but it is still tough. I agree with the timing I just wish it was a thrusday/friday/saturday or a monday/tuesday/wends deal instead of a whole week.

mrbb
10-11-2013, 02:36 PM
mrbb as you know in PA we have the one week muzzy season in the middle of oct. of our 6 week season. Yes archery hunters can still shoot bucks but it is still tough. I agree with the timing I just wish it was a thrusday/friday/saturday or a monday/tuesday/wends deal instead of a whole week.

yes I know the season, if you recall, in the first few yrs, it was also a NO buck time too, not a lot of guys knew that and hunted bucks any how LOL
but they did have it so only doe's
and it was muzzleloaders all week, then rifle for kids and seniors on weekends, not 100% on that now, as I don't fit either one , so don't sta up to date on the rules/season
but I hate to say it, I am fine with the week, cheaters will cheat no matter what
and a week off of buck hunting, sucks, yes, but gives me time in between hunts to give stands a break, and well, back when I was trying to kill all the doe I could, it forced my hand into filling them tags fast, and was nice with the muzzleloader, as I could drop der on the spot 99% of the time, and get a few in one day faster, and no tracking, scenting up my area on recoveries
can also hunt farther off my food plots and not get busted too!
so to me it was a no big deal
poaching/cheaters/trespassers (all the same in my book) are and have been my biggest problem
and Sadly, see no change in sight!
tried all I can do legally and no help from state its a wash for me,

blackbeard
10-11-2013, 11:05 PM
Late season after the rut, this weekend is gonna screw things up until first of November for anyone who hunts where there is any pressure at all, stupid, stupid idea, leave it up to DNR to come up with something this asinine.

MICH
10-12-2013, 10:02 AM
i like the idea for a better buck/doe ratio, but do it in the middle of sept...thats what mich. dnr have done..........maybe rattling nov. 1-13 will get better from this??????? BUT, near rarden & otway, i dont see the doe's that need to be shot, so why the season??????? BUCK/DOE RATIO SHOULD BE WHAT EVERY HUNTER SHOULD BE AFTER.....if your a meat hunter ,this season is perfect for you,

Newbowhunter32
10-14-2013, 12:07 PM
I agree that the pressure from this weekend will educate more deer and possibly make buck hunting more difficult. Although, if you have the luxury of your own land or exclusive hunting privileges on someone else's, no one is forcing you to hunt it and people hunting the surrounding properties will only push more deer onto yours, granted they will be jumpy from being shot at.

From a population management point of view, I thinking the timing of the doe season makes sense. Reduce the doe population before the rut and bucks will be searching harder. Reduce the doe population before the crops come off and the winter food supply is more abundant for those that survive. As mrbb stated, fawns at this point can likely make it on their own, and temps are getting down to where the meat won't spoil right away.

As an aside, I was hunting private ground Saturday and Sunday morning located directly adjacent to the thousands of acres of public hunting in killdeer plains, which usually sounds like world war three during shotgun season. Between both mornings, I probably heard less than 10 shots total, so I am not sure how much of an impact this season will have one way or the other.