PDA

View Full Version : High Temps for Evening Hunts

Land of Giants
10-11-2013, 10:36 AM
Evening hunts with temps in the high 60's/low 70's create problems for me. First, the mosquitos are relentless when it's warm and in the woods. Those little vampires cause me to move around alot in the stand, which is never good obviously. Also, I'm worried about connecting on a deer and having to wait it out for a long period of time, possibly even til the next morning. I've had meat ruined or partially ruined in the past because I wasn't able to recover the deer til the following morning.

I'm curious to see how many of you pass on warm evening hunts, and just stick to the cool mornings.

*Off-topic* How do I add a profile pic on here?

nomad_archer
10-11-2013, 01:48 PM
I hunt when I can as time is always short for me. But on the warm evenings, you need to have a plan and a take a high percentage shot so you can recover the deer quickly. Give the deer 1/2 hour after the shot then get to it and get it dressed and out of the woods.

I like to get the body cavity packed with ice asap and get it to a butcher or get it home and skinned/quartered and in the fridge as quickly as possible. That is my plan.

When its warm if you dont recover the deer until the next day there is a very good chance it will spoil over night.

Back on topic. I dont let warm weather stop me if I have the time to hunt. I just take my thermacell and hope for the best. Take high percentage shots and have a plan for after the game is down and you should be good to go.

mrbb
10-11-2013, 02:43 PM
I agree, a therma cell is priceless tool in warm sits
I also live in my Bug Tamer Plus , its the best, as I can wear shorts and a short sleeve shirt under it and stay cool, as its just more or less double layer netting, them suckers cannot reach you due to teh double layer deal, was worth every penny I paid for it too, Highly recommend it to all
next as for warm temps
well, granted its always best to get a deer gutted and coled down, but unless temps are way up there most times they will be fine overnight
may not smell pretty when you do find them, but the same hair and skin that protects them from cold works on heat

I tend to hunt all I can, and don't let higher temps stop me, but do pick shots maybe a little better, and don't go out just looking to fill tags
I hold out for that big one, and obnly then take a shot if it happens
I have a friend that is a butcher , so has me covered 24/7 on a walk in cooler if need be, so I'm lucky there

I am also a lot more scent worried too in HOT weather, and tend to stay away from my best stands
hard not to sweat if its hot enough out there!

here is a link to the jacket and pants I have, again worth every penny highly recommend it, cool to wear in warm weather and NO bugs get me, I even wear ryno skin under it, for ticks, also good stuff that is NOT hot to wear, yet protects great)

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shannon-Bug-Tamer-Plus-Hooded-Jacket-with-Face-Shield/750268.uts

this is Cabela's brand of Ryno skin , same deal

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Bug-Skinz8482-Bugproof-Mock-T/733006.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3D searchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProduc ts%26Ntt%3Dbug%2Bproof%2Bcloths%26WTz_l%3DHeader%2 53BSearch-All%2BProducts%26x%3D0%26y%3D0&Ntt=bug+proof+cloths&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

zachc
10-11-2013, 05:33 PM
When its warm out I, when I go out, try to usually stick to cool morning hunts. If I go out in the evening and its to warm I might just use that night to observe. See where the deer are coming from, where they're going, what their feeding on, etc. I usually only take the shot if I'm 100% confident that I"will" make a good shot..

blackbeard
10-11-2013, 11:01 PM
I've limited my early season hunts this year, trying to take it slow evn though it kills me to not be in the woods. Same as above as far as what to do.