PDA

View Full Version : trying something a bit different

smokin_aces
10-08-2013, 08:40 PM
i have a second area i hunt. seen deer there here and there but nothin really consistent always the same path tho but been a hit or miss to say the least. so this evening i threw out a trophy rock on an old over grown 4x4 path that they use. and to intice the area i had an old man that i fish with tell me about using vanilla extract. said to spray everything with it in the area. so sprayed a good bit around the rock to bring them straight to it and sprayed the base of the trees and shrubs within a few feet of the rock. and lastly threw out a trail cam to test this whole theory out. im goin to give it untill next week and go swap cards out and follow up with what happened with pics attached. just thought i would share this and the results of using the vanilla extract

Strother23
10-08-2013, 08:58 PM
It's a cool idea. It might draw some intrests the smell of vanilla extract is a very strong. A weird trick that I use sometimes is I buy a normal jar of peanut butter and take it out to where one of my cameras are and take the lid off then screw the lid to the tree right under the camera then screw the jar back on and then cut the bottom of the jar off so the peanut butter is exposed. The deer seem to love it and you get close up pics. They lick the jar spotless. Nice way to see a rack up close.

mrbb
10-08-2013, 09:22 PM
I have known a bunch of old timers that do that with the vanilla, been a hit and miss deal
but since we have bears up here, its been known to attract them more than the deer
same goes for the peanutbutter, and maple syrup
its also illegal here in hunting season too
I have tried it in summer time over a cam, and didn't notice any extra pic's over just being there over food
but never know, deer are courious critters so a new smell might bring them in, or make em leave LOL

blackbeard
10-08-2013, 11:30 PM
Vanilla extract....peanut butter....seems like you're grasping for straws, figure out where they bed and feed then get between the two. Just my 2c.

Stonegod
10-09-2013, 07:54 AM
Vanilla extract....peanut butter....seems like you're grasping for straws, figure out where they bed and feed then get between the two. Just my 2c.

LOL....I've missed your no nonsense posts!!

nomad_archer
10-09-2013, 08:41 AM

This is how I would go about it as well.

smokin_aces
10-10-2013, 04:13 PM

its just something im trying. the area in which i have to hunt i dont have access to any fields or bedding areas just some hardwoods where they tend to wonder when they will, i have one stand in which there are 3 deer that pass through a mature doe with two yearlings. not really the best place to hunt but hey its all i got so from time to time i tend i try different things. i do see the here and there deer that wander about going in a different direction.

trust me i wish i had an area between the two but my woods isnt set up with those circumstances. next year i plan on putting in a little acre food plot but hey thats next year. and for this year ill take what i can get.

mrbb
10-10-2013, 04:21 PM
well if you like to try tricks, old timmers up here also say that if you get some older apple cider, not BOOZE, just spoiled apple cider
or leave some in the sun a while
pour that about your area
they claim deer will come a looking for it
add a little every day in spots you can get a show

I tried it in a scent dripper, and wouldn't say it did a lot, but did get a few pic's of deer licking at it

I would say the best deal maker would be to use a seed bag hand operated spreader, and take about 5-6 lbs of corn to yor stand every day
and just broadcast it about
you do this several times in a row, deer will come to look for it
every day move it just a little, making them have to search for it
and they will come all the time in search, or so folks I know that do this say its 10x's better than a bait pile, and or a feeder
as it keeps the guessing where it will be, and don't get used to you being up a tree if picked off once or twice liek hunting over a feeder or pile can do to you, plus allows you to adjust for winds
it would be pretty simple to o I think, and fast
I broadcast enough seeds like this covering acres at a time(not so fast) but it gets a 30+ ft spread per pass on big seeds, so corn should do the same!
plus the corn dust, I will assume there will be some, will act as a cover scent too LOL

smokin_aces
10-12-2013, 10:44 AM
well i pulled the card last night when i went out there to hunt, i ended having a group or turkey come in, a small 10 walked right behind me at about 10 yards, and also seen another small buck out to the front of me about 60 yards off. here is a cell phone video of the buck that came in behind me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGNOH4ajXko&feature=youtube_gdata_player

as far as the trail cam pics, well two hours after i left they were there.

mrbb
10-12-2013, 04:16 PM
Well thats a nice young buck
seems like you had a good sit on stand with some action, always helps pass the time when deer show up

PREDATOR
10-12-2013, 06:55 PM
Dan Fitzgerald used to market vanilla killa. Used it as cover for my tobacco habit at the base of tree. That was 20 yrs ago.

smokin_aces
10-13-2013, 08:25 PM
Well thats a nice young buck
seems like you had a good sit on stand with some action, always helps pass the time when deer show up

yea im hoping he makes it through the year, has the potential to be a great buck. even tho i didnt pick the bow up at i was thrilled to be able to watch him for a few minutes.

ill be heading back out to that spot in the morning so we shall see what tomorrow holds