PDA

View Full Version : string failure?

mrbb
10-05-2013, 09:01 PM
OK so my buddy came up to hunt the farm this evening, he's a good friend, but a half ass at most things LOL
you know the kinda guy that never does things till they HAVE too!
well he bought a new X bow 3 yrs ago, and didn't believe in changing strings that look bad
last yr I felt he needed one bad, he said no, and made it thru the season
well same srting this yr, looked even worse
so tonight, he shot it to empty the bow, and wham Bam smash poof, the dam string exploded on release
everything seems ok, minus there is no string left now and limbs are fully extended(need a press to install a new string )

so at least he didn't get hurt, and now he has to replace string??
Some guys just don't get what a PM is!
and I hope nothing else is broken, it was a hell of a show to see that happen to say the least!
so folks if you shoot an X bow, don't wait to replace a string if it looks like its worn, replace early!
I replace mine every yr, and think it needs that, but I shoot a bunch so??
better safe than sorry I say!

nomad_archer
12-17-2013, 02:11 PM
I havnt replaced my compound bow string in a long time. I wax it on or two times a year and it looks good so I leave it be. My dad's x bow he seems to replace the string every 2 years as the string wears as it rides on the rail of the x-bow.

89trackerpro17
12-18-2013, 08:16 AM
I replace my string every 2 years in my compound unless it looks like it needs it before that. A xbow I would prolly replace yearly. Better safe than sorry. A friend of mine, had a string break on a compound one time and it cut a big gash in his wrist. 15 stitches latter he was ok. After seeing that I replace regularly.

Big_Holla
12-18-2013, 08:39 AM
Glad he wasn't hurt. On the bow I try to replace every 2-3 years depending on wear. Think I actually got about 5 out of the first though, the replacements never were as good. Crossbow ours still looks like new so that will be a while.

Strother23
12-18-2013, 09:14 AM
Good thing he wasn't hurt. I seen a buddy dry fire his Xbox on accident and the string broke and one limb cracked. An expensive fix

nomad_archer
12-18-2013, 10:21 AM
Glad he wasn't hurt. On the bow I try to replace every 2-3 years depending on wear. Think I actually got about 5 out of the first though, the replacements never were as good. Crossbow ours still looks like new so that will be a while.

That is a good plan. As soon as I start seeing wear I replace my strings. I've had bows that the strings lasted a year this hoyt hasn't been very hard on strings at all. But I don't shoot nearly as much as I used to. I really had an obsession for a few years. I think I may have 3 or 4 years on this set of strings but there is zero wear and no tuning issues so I am not going to fix something that isn't broken.

mrbb
12-18-2013, 11:07 AM
That is a good plan. As soon as I start seeing wear I replace my strings. I've had bows that the strings lasted a year this hoyt hasn't been very hard on strings at all. But I don't shoot nearly as much as I used to. I really had an obsession for a few years. I think I may have 3 or 4 years on this set of strings but there is zero wear and no tuning issues so I am not going to fix something that isn't broken.
well I hear you no point in replacing a good string, but at the same time, I think strings can be decieving to the human eye, and very hard to see or even tell whats happening on the inside of a string, the parts we cannot see or lube/wax
on my compound bow, I always replaced them every 3 yrs or so, just due to not wanting a failure mid season or the damage it can make when they fail
on my X bow, it gets replaced every yr, due to it wears so dam fast dragging down them rails, and they are under a more higher load pressure even when not in use, or I just feel that way, plus there a LOT cheaper than compund strings too, so not so hard to bite the bullet maybe early as in a 100 dollar compund string

nomad_archer
12-18-2013, 11:34 AM
you got that right mrbb. Compound strings are very pricey. Crossbow not so much the last one I replaced for my dad cost ~$25-$30