PDA

View Full Version : 2013/2014 Daily Hunting Report, Deer Activity, Season Information & Rut Report HERE!

00buck
10-02-2013, 04:10 PM
lets have this section like in the past if somebody could make this a sticky not sure how

ed1315
10-05-2013, 03:54 PM
Mostly night activity here. no chasing yet but bucks are starting to show interest.... bucks are still hanging together in my neck of the woods

mrbb
10-05-2013, 08:33 PM
well was opeing day here in PA
didn't hunt the morning, just too lazy
made it out for the evening, and it was HOT Humid and tons of biting bugs,
that said,
got on stand about 5 pm, and seen first deer at 6 pm, a doe and a fawn, and then followed by a small 4 pointer, and then a few more small deer at about 6"30 I had a a nice 8 pointer show up, about 90 inches, then a half rack Y buck(2 points one side)
then a small 5 pointer and then a small 4 pointer
about 6:45 a small bear showed up, and spooked all the deer but the bigger 8, who was too busy eating sotbeans to care, the deer ran like hell, into the tree's, which all that noise then scared the bear back into the woods LOL
then a coyote came out above where the bear went in HAHA, like a zoo here
coyote ran across field, right past the 8 pointer, who again didn't even flinch at it!
then two bigger bucks showed up, and worked there way to the 8, and the 3 of them started sparring in a playfull way, too dark to tell how big the other two were, but for sure were bigger than the 8, taller wider any how!
all the deer came to within about 25 yrds of me at one point or another, all but the 3 bigger bucks LOL
it was 76 degree's when I got back to the truck at about 7 :30 Pm, way warm, and started to rain
Hoping Monday will be cooler(no Sunday hunting here)
over all a nice sit, minus the heat and bitiing bugs !

00buck
10-06-2013, 06:30 AM
Headed to stand will keep you all updated throughout day or until it rains

00buck
10-06-2013, 08:48 AM
Well I have only seen a fawn and tree rats kinda wet and sky is dark

hortontoter
10-06-2013, 11:26 AM
I haven't hunted since last Sunday. Just to hot for me to be out in the woods. Hopefully I will get out some this coming week. The cooler temps forecasted are much more to my liking.

zachc
10-06-2013, 12:54 PM
Haven't been out since Sunday, due to work. Was going to go out this morning but didn't feel like sitting in the rain. Went and checked the game cam though. Been pretty slow on the pics where I have my cam at. Have some doe movement but as far as bucks, few and far between. But its just a small property. They still have their beans in and a large corn field buts up against it. I'm VERRY confident once they get the corn out the deer movement will increase! Small property with huge potential for big bucks...the proof is in the pudding . I took a 151" buck out of there last year and have video of another 140-150 class buck there this year. Beans are ready but with all this rain hitting us now gonna be at least another week or 2 i would guess. Corn should be ready in another 2 Weeks or so.

89trackerpro17
10-06-2013, 07:27 PM
Wanted to get out this weekend but didn't because of the heat. Next weekend is looking to be cooler. I'll be out.

Toke2
10-06-2013, 08:41 PM
As of a few days ago ( Guernsey/Harrison Counties) Bucks were still in "frat" mode. Caught the big 8pt. I am familiar with bedded down 12 feet off the dirt road.... he was with another known small 6. Saw the 8's tall tines under a pine... we backed the truck up cuz we thought we were seeing things, and they jumped. Could have hit him with a spitball.

mrbb
10-08-2013, 09:18 PM
well made it out tonight for an evening sit
was much nicer than Saturdays hot weather, and yesterday was a rained out for me
was 62 degree's and a slight 4-5 mph winds from the north, but seemed to switch directions at will, in one ear then the opther back and forth
got on stand about 4 pm, didn't see anything but tree rats till about 6:15, then had a nice 4 yr old 8 pointer show up, been watching him age last 3 yrs, grows almost the same exact rack every yr, doesn't seem to be gaining any inches either? maybe 125" or so, gross
had him at 40-30-20-10-5 yrds for about 10 minutes as he fed past me very very slowly
tempting to shoot due to he is old, and doesn't seem to be getting any bigger, and heck, always nice to not have to put so many hr's in,
BUT, never get one I want doing that, and heck, he's managed to make it this long, maybe he has one yr in him, and maybe next yr will be the yr he adds some inches?
he was traveling with a small 4 pointer
and after they left, that was it for deer for tonights sit, SLOW action
was 58 degree's when I left, so just a 5 degree drop, calling for colder temps this week as it goes on
will try again tomorrow evening!

blackbeard
10-08-2013, 11:34 PM
Haven't hunted yet which is very unusual for me, spent the month of sept at the beach with the family then came home with a bad cold so I've been hanging stands and preparing for the last two weeks of October and November, then I'll be spending every minute possible in the woods.

JeepGirl
10-09-2013, 11:36 AM
I got my first doe of the year in the freezer on Sept 30th 2013 after everyone went back to work...and a batch of summer sausage in the oven as I type.. now to work on second tag.

Last year I didn't fill my tags because my father took ill & I had to fly in and out from Ohio to Kansas till the end of March this year...Wasn't sure I was going to hunt still feeling out of it and it amazes me what people try to do when they know your an exactor of an estate..I sure am glad my boys talked me into going out this year, nothing better then being in the woods the quiet & all the animals and the funny stunts they pull...Sure does clear the head...Happy Hunting everyone be safe out there..Sherry

hortontoter
10-09-2013, 06:58 PM
Congrats on the doe, Sherry. A great way to clear the mind.

hortontoter
10-09-2013, 07:15 PM
Hunted Monday, Tuesday and this morning at my Carroll county property. Looks like the barricade I made last April is working well. I could have killed four deer in the last three days, two button bucks, one yearling doe, and one giant adult doe. All four were broadside at less than 20 yards. Didn't see any bucks though. I saw no scrapes rubs or buck sign over the last three days. A little early for my property to turn on though.

I had photos of my neighbor to the north cutting through my creek bottom to cut firewood on my neighbors property to the south. I gave him permission to do this in the spring and summer months. But told him not to do it in the fall. I put up no entry signs Monday at about noon. He came down Monday afternoon and saw the signs and turned around. He is a good neighbor and just needed a reminder that it is hunting season. Hopefully this takes care of this issue, my camera will tell the story.

mrbb
10-09-2013, 10:22 PM
well I hope he did, nothing worse than an atv showing up after your all settled in on a stand

mrbb
10-09-2013, 10:27 PM
well made it out this evening, much cooler again today than yesterday, 58 going in, 50 coming out and dropping
had overcast weather all day, felt like it was going to rain or snow, expected to see deer early, so got on stand at about 4 pm
well I was wrong, didn't see a thing till about 6 pm, then they started to show up
I was set up off a bean field food plot, I had deer at about 150 yrds and at 50 yrds and deer at about 80 yrds all at the same time, ONLY the deer in the middle at about 80 yrds were on high super high alert, kept snortting and running out of field back into the woods, then back out for 5 minutes and then snort and run off again, they did this over and over till dark, other deer never even looked at them?? so go figure what there problem was, wind was blowing from them to me, so??
and was a steady wind too. overall had 12 deer show up, all doe and yearlyings, but two small bucks, one 4 and one 5 pointer
slow night more or less even with 12 deer coming out!
try again tomorrow if it doesn't rain!

hortontoter
10-10-2013, 07:26 AM
The cooler temps are a big plus. I'm trying to hunt the cooler days of the week also. Going to be in the 70's for the next 4-6 days. I'm supposed to take some youth hunters out this weekend. Wish the weather would be cooler.

nomad_archer
10-10-2013, 12:15 PM
I got my first doe of the year in the freezer on Sept 30th 2013 after everyone went back to work...and a batch of summer sausage in the oven as I type.. now to work on second tag.

Last year I didn't fill my tags because my father took ill & I had to fly in and out from Ohio to Kansas till the end of March this year...Wasn't sure I was going to hunt still feeling out of it and it amazes me what people try to do when they know your an exactor of an estate..I sure am glad my boys talked me into going out this year, nothing better then being in the woods the quiet & all the animals and the funny stunts they pull...Sure does clear the head...Happy Hunting everyone be safe out there..Sherry

Nice job Sherry.

smokin_aces
10-11-2013, 02:26 PM
was out wed after work at a new spot, busted a 8pt on the way in sat up for a while and only seen a little 6 pass by. did see a few sscrapes on the way in and when i first spotted teh 6 he was making a scrape across the creek. havent seen any buck in bachelor groups all seem to be on theyre own now. heading out here in a few minutes to set up on a different ridge for the night so we shall see what today brings. be nice to see a big buck before this weekend of the does comes in.

JeepGirl
10-11-2013, 03:10 PM
TY good luck out there be safe...

JeepGirl
10-11-2013, 03:11 PM
ty be safe out there...and good luck

mrbb
10-11-2013, 08:21 PM
well made it out for an evening hunt, got in stand at about 4 pm, steady light breeze, with heavy overcast sky's
wanting to rain
and warm, 72 degree's and humid
seen first deer a yearlying button buck at 5:45, followed by its mother who made mroe grunts than I think any doe I ever heard, she gruntes bleated what ever, made noises non stop for the 45+ minutes she fed in front of me, she made noised while eating things too, LOL
then a lot of other deer showed up, all walked past me at 20 yrds or less but 3, which came out about 65 yrds from and bever came closer
all in all seen 13 deer, 4 bucks, biggest beinga very small 6 pointer
by dark it was drizzling / raining and still in the upper 60's
wrm sit, but active deer so, past time well!
try again tomorrow if its not raining heavy!

00buck
10-12-2013, 08:54 AM
Have seen nine deer already this morning only one in range with the hoyt a 130" 8 point at 33 yards haven't heard a lot of shots either

smokin_aces
10-12-2013, 10:50 AM
went out last night, had a small 10 pass right behind me at 10 yards, another about 60 yards out in front of me and on the way out the road had another small buck go across the road. seems that the bucks are starting to move about a little atleast the younger ones.

mrbb
10-12-2013, 08:47 PM
well again just an evening sit, got on stand at about 5 pm, in the 70's steady winds with some gusts , had the first deer show up at about 505pm, didn't even sit down and a doe and small button buck came out about 10 ft from the base of my tree, they came a running from swamp to food plot at 100MPH LOL
then about 6 pm a small 6 pointer came out again almost at the base of my tree
then, at about 6;20 , had a Huge group of doe, 16 in all, and just one yearlying?? all the rest were all full size does,?? makes me wonder how many my coyotes and bear ate??

then at last light had 3 small bucks show up, 2 small 4 pointers and one spike with just one side on, either broke other side off or never had it??

overall a lot of deer but no bucks really, or big ones
no Sunday hunting so have to wait till Monday!

mrbb
10-15-2013, 10:08 AM
10/14/2013
evening sit
was HOT today upper 70's and slight breeze if any
got on stabnd about 5 pm, thinking deer movement wouldn't be much till almost dark, and was right
did see a bear a small one, maybe 150 lbs at 5;20, running for dear lfe out of the corn field, must have been a bigger one in there that kicked him off what ever he was eating, poor little guy! ran about 150 yerds before I lost sight of him, and again, it was HOT out, so sure he was a huffing and a puffing when he stopped to?? HAHA!

first deer showed up at like 6:15 pm, a small 3 pointer followed by a second 3 pointer, a fork horn one side and a broken spike on other, thus 3, and thena nice 2.5 yr old 8 pointer maybe like 60 inches LOL
they fed in the bean between 20 abd 15 yrds from me till dark
at about 6:30 I had a doe and fawn show up, then at 6;30 had another broken rack, nt non typial 8, that broke his non typical side off just out of velver, so now a 6 pointer LOl
then had8 more doe and a small 4 pointers show between 6;30 and dark, most were all in under 20 yrds while entering the field, so guess I picked the right corner to sit in, but nothing worth getting excited about
all in all a nice sit, wish it was colder, but till next time!

mrbb
10-15-2013, 08:44 PM
10/15/13 evening hunt
70's warm very sunny, slight winds at times, woods were very quiet, lots of geese flyning south over head today
on stand at 4:30 pm, first deer showed up at 6 pm, a small 6 pointer, came out right under my ladderstand I was in, and stood at the base looking over the food plot for 10 minutes and din't move a muscle , winds, the little there was was blowing from me to it, but think it was over its head if any scent
he then proceeded to feed till dark about 15 yrds from mem, till just at last light a doe and 2 yearlying showed up and he ran over to meet them, then a small spike showed up and ran to them all, so 5 deer in all, slowest sit this yr!
slow evening more or less, still too warm I think, and the big bright moon now, isn't helping I think, making them come out later and later
Oh well, try again tomorrow, maybe Saturday will try a morning!

Bigcity
10-16-2013, 09:04 AM
Out last night in Summit County. Nice night in the deer woods, little activity though. Saw 3 does about 6:00pm and a coyote. The biggest of the group was blowing at the coyote as loud as I have ever heard. The coyote eventually left the area, not offering a shot. No other action to speak of. Scrapes starting to show on field edges, didn't see any rubs. Hope to get out again on Friday.

deerguy10
10-16-2013, 05:05 PM
Hunted with a friend on a piece of property near Hopedale on Saturday morning for the early Muzzleloader season. Saw a spike, Then 2 young six points (probably both two year olds), then a doe that never offered a shot. the 2 young bucks put on quite the show. They fought hard for a while at about 75 yards in front of me then rubbed trees as they made their way to the bedding area. They hung out together on the way in and out of the area so I'm sure it was just a bit of sparring and not so much rut activity. it sure was fun to watch though!

mrbb
10-16-2013, 08:51 PM
10/16/13 evening sit
well was very overcast today all day and seemed liek it was going to rain any minute, a few miles west and north of me was getting a bad storm, and I was being just missed by it all
it was cooler, low 60's and a very slight breeze
seemed like a good day for ealrier deer movement
and well almost was
got on stand at 4 pm, had first deer show up at like 4:01 pm and busted me getting set up in the tree, NO idea where it came from, it was so dry and crunchy, must have been there the whole time I walked in and just never seen it, was like 5 yrds from base of tree when I seen it staring at me! and then it just walked away, no snorting or running, just a slow walk, even fed on some beans as it left
then nothing till almost darl, when a doe and a yearlying showed up at about 150 yrds out down wind of me??
and then one more blob, too dark at this point to tell what it was, so just a deer, joined them buck /doe???
and that was it? so much for a good deer movement day LOl
maybe I picked the wrong stand ??
Oh well try again tomorrow I guess!

ernie
10-17-2013, 08:39 PM
been doing quite a bit of reading on various sites about current deer activity and the impending rut. Seems the October lull is in full swing.. fresh buck sign is starting to pop up, with the occasional young buck chasing a doe. The cold front next week could very well get the ball rolling.

I have enjoyed reading the Charles Altzheimer rut predictions (related to moon phase), but am wondering if he is going to be off the mark this year with his prediction. What do you guys think, based on your observations of sign, deer movement, etc..

MJH
10-18-2013, 12:51 AM
Im curious too! A friend that we go to church with had a pic on his camera of a buck mounting a doe! Makes me curious if she was "in" or he was just hoping she was? I can't believe she actually would let him get that close to her!

Mike

ernie
10-29-2013, 07:33 PM
well, after a week of the site being on "Lock down", what is everyone seeing? The reports I am getting are suggesting that now is the time to be in the woods...and that it will continue to get better the next two plus weeks. Any thoughts?

zachc
10-30-2013, 12:29 AM
Been out a couple times since the site has been down. Haven't seen a lot around here,a few does and a small buck. The last 2 Weeks on my game cam has been unreal, buck after buck after buck. Switched out my card today and have more bucks. Found about 6 scrapes in a 50 yard stretch. Unfortunately most of the movement had been at night but what i'm hearing is Nov 9 is going to be the week. I will be posting some pics on the trail cam thread. Also I have been seeing quite a bit of does out in the fields on my way to work the last 2 Weeks. So they are definitely starting to move a lot better.

mrbb
10-30-2013, 09:05 PM
well since the site was down, I have hunted every day, , but going to give a every day info now
will start with tonights sit 10/30/2013 evening sit
well its still HOT 64 degree's going in , got on stand at 4 pm, and was trying my best not to sweat sitting in the sun, almost zero wind too!
first deer came out in the cut corn field(cut last Saturday) at 4;45 pm, a doe and yearlying 250+ yrds away from me
next deer came out even farther two BIG doe being followed by a ncie buck, a 8 pointer in the 120's I will guess, came from about 500 yrds right to me like on a string at about 6 pm, and had this buck at 20 yrds for about 15 minutes eating beans, and following the doe about every where they went
he never chased them or tried anything, but he was for sure following there every move
next had a small 7 pointer and then a few more doe's yearlying and then a few small 3-4-5 pointers all in all about 15 deer, most fed to within range, but still holding out for a biiger buck I been seeing
here is a pic of the buck I passed on tonight

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z457/mrbb1/016_zps1b4d8ced.jpg (http://s1190.photobucket.com/user/mrbb1/media/016_zps1b4d8ced.jpg.html)

and then the one I am holding out for!
http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z457/mrbb1/045_zpsfddb4eb6.jpg (http://s1190.photobucket.com/user/mrbb1/media/045_zpsfddb4eb6.jpg.html)

00buck
10-31-2013, 04:36 PM
well i havent been out since last friday and only saw 3 deer maybe this week will be better if work slows down

mrbb
11-01-2013, 08:39 PM
11/1/2013
ok evening sit, warm, 66 degree's, on stand by 3 pm, seen first deer, two doe, at 5 pm, then a small 4 ptr, then a small doe and two smaller yearlyings
then a nice 120 class 8 pointer,passed on him
slow nite

Bigcity
11-04-2013, 08:38 AM
Sat 11/02, am sit 5:30 - 12:00, 2 Bucks, small five that beds in that area and 2 yr old 10pt who's just outside his ears. No new scrapes or rubs to speak of. Sun 11/03, pm sit 2:30 -6:00, one doe.... Slow weekend considering this time of year. Standing corn near area I believe is contributing to lack of sightings. My son watched two small bucks on Sun in same field with several does and didn't see any signs they were near esterous. No chasing or bothering, just eating.

savaged
11-09-2013, 02:13 PM
Lots of action this morning. Southwestern Ohio buddy and I saw 4 bucks and several does. Bucks were clearly following does, but not yet in full rut or chasing activity - but I'll bet it comes with the cold later this week!

Strother23
11-09-2013, 03:15 PM
Yea the last couple of days I have seen some of the smaller bucks following does but no big ones until this morning. At about 730am I had a 10pt or more (150+ inch) run by me at about 15 yds. He never stopped. I grunted and he just kept running right by me and couldn't get any shoot. I Was upset but I guess it's good to know he's in the area and running in daylight. Hopefully he shows his face again. Rut should be getting in full swing very soon.

mrbb
11-09-2013, 07:35 PM
well, been almost impossibl;e for me to get on this site lately, sems to have a lot of site issue's??
But was out tonight 11/9/13, , was in the low 40's heavy winds, and I had a ton of folks just off property riding ATv's and well trespassing on the leands next to me, since there posted against atv's and hunting, seem 5 guys hunting there too, , they were doing dam deer drive's
in Bow season???
on stand at 2;30 pm, didn't see a deer till about dark, 4 bucks in one group, a 4-a5a6 and a 120 inch 8 pointer
and one yearlying deer maybe 50 lbs with them
no real rut action or signs of it yet
also seen two red foxes, at about 5 yrds from my tree, looking to try to catch a tree rat!, failed bad LOl

was 35 degree's when I came out
no hunting tomorrow here No Sunday hunting here in PA
so will try again on Monday
supposed to get colder at night all next week, in the teens and 20's, but upper 40's and even close to 50's
so will see' last week of archery up here too!

Bigcity
11-14-2013, 10:47 AM
Seems that site is finally running smooth again. Things in my area of Summit County been sloooowwww this past week. I've seen deer on every hunt, but no bucks since Saturday and only small bucks then. Still seeing doe families running together and haven't seen much rutting activity. Lots of standing corn in immediate area that I believe is contributing to lack of sightings this year compared to years past but something wierd is going on. Just doesn't seem like rut has really got going, even with the snow in past couple of days. I dunno, scratching my head....

mrbb
11-14-2013, 07:45 PM
well this site has been terrible for me and still is, 90% of the time, I cannot pull it up, and then IF I can, 95% of teh time as soon as I click on new post/l;atest post, it goes to an error page
so up dates are way off, even though I have hunted every day this season but 3 rain days!

tonight I seen nothing?? not a tree rat a bird , nothing, this heavy winds and almost full moon, have slowed movements down by me like crazy, went from seeing 20 deer on average a day to zero today and just 3 yersterday
and ZERO rut action this yr, have not seen a buck dog a doe yet
, minus a few very young bucks more playing than chasing
only 2 days left and not looking good for any rut up here!

rrennec2
11-17-2013, 09:31 AM
Has anyone really seen Rut activity this year ? Not even seeing does like we have in the past ? ? Where are all the deer at ? possible a lot of them died off from that disease from last year ?

mrbb
11-17-2013, 10:09 AM
zero rut up my way, season ended yestreday too!
had tons of deer moving earlier in the season, but last few days it about stopped all together, the full moon, warm temps didn't help me at all
and I just found out one of my target bucks was hit by a car on Thursday, and a second buck a solid 130+, I passed on 3 times, was also killed by a car on Monday
so that 2 of the 3 decent bucks this yr for me, and the third wasn't seen now in almost 3 weeks, so odds are he got poached too,
so a bad archery season for me too up here in PA