PDA

View Full Version : 2013-2014 deer check in and pic's

mrbb
09-28-2013, 10:35 PM
OK starting a post here just for picures and stories of kills in 2013-2014 deer season
lets try to keep track of kills by folks on this site
and tally the total up at season ends
and lets not keep it to just ohio deer,
if your a memeber here and hunt deer, I say they count

In The Stand2012
09-29-2013, 06:21 PM
Things came together for me quite well yesterday evening. I walked back into my stand at about 3:45, it was still hot but I was anxious to just be in the tree. On the way in I stood in awe how much the trees had been shredded. At 7:02 pm a momma and her two yearlings came in and hung out for just a few minutes before running out. I thought to myself "damn there's no way they saw me.. and it couldn't have been a scent issue.." I looked over my left shoulder slowly and I seen a white rack coming directly where the does had stopped briefly. He was a familiar deer I had been seeing on my trail cam I called Split Brow. He stopped at about 17 yards, I slung an arrow and put a great shot on him! Couldn't have been happier (although he did rub one of his split brows off in the past week or so). The meat is already in the freezer and the rack is in the boiling pot as we speak!
Cant believe how fast it all happened, last year it took me till Jan 21st. Now I'm left with a odd feeling as the season just started... On to fill up the rest of the family's freezers with some juicy does!

http://i40.tinypic.com/28gt9nk.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/xop64w.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/2iiibyu.jpg

Good Luck to everyone out there!

buckstalker17
09-29-2013, 08:50 PM
congrats on your buck nice one for sure but that looks like the one hortontotor is after lol. are doing a skull mount

In The Stand2012
09-29-2013, 09:11 PM
Thanks Buckstalker! Haven't seen any of his photos but would surely be interested if you had a link. Going to do a full bleached skull mount. I'll have some pictures once it's finished!

hoopie
09-29-2013, 10:43 PM
hey in the stand2012 what county did you kill him in? just curious I have one that looks a lot like him on cam!

ManOfTheFall
09-29-2013, 10:58 PM
Congrats!!!!! Very nice Buck!!!!!

In The Stand2012
09-29-2013, 11:09 PM
Hoopie, took him out of a Medina County. Thanks guys!

hoopie
09-29-2013, 11:11 PM
nice deer! I just posted a thread with my split brow on it. I saw him tonight.

Stonegod
09-30-2013, 06:28 AM
Hoopie, took him out of a Medina County. Thanks guys!

Nice deer.....where in Medina county....don't need GPS lol...just a general area....I hunt in Chatham township/Litchfield

In The Stand2012
09-30-2013, 09:10 AM
Stonegod, Im hunting outta Hinckley mostly. Ill check your guy out Hoopie!

Newbowhunter32
09-30-2013, 01:06 PM
Congrats on the nice buck!

frmrfred
09-30-2013, 04:44 PM
Great deer. I work in Hinkley at the corner of State and 303. Do you live around there?

Stickbowcrafter
09-30-2013, 09:46 PM
I had three stands hung on my new farm a few weeks ago but decided I needed a fourth on the east side of the property for another option if the wind isn't right for the other stands. There's a long tree line that runs east and west between a group of houses and an ag field that eventually runs into the power line on the east edge of my property. This part of Ashtabula Co. is super flat so pinch points are more subtle than in rolling country. That tree line is nearly lined up with an overgrown logging road on my side of the power line. I had no trail camera over here but it looked like a good travel corridor so I hung a stand on the south end of the logging road near the power line to give the stand several shooting options.

Just over an hour into opening morning on my very first hunt on my new farm, I spotted a large group of deer walking through that tree line towards my property. I could see at least half a dozen deer but when they got to the power line, they were about 50 yards north of me and I lost sight of them due to some thick saplings blocking my view. Between the rain and the sun setting when I hung this stand, I didn't have a chance to do any trimming. A few minutes later I looked to see the deer headed south, now on the power line, on a course that would bring them behind my stand. I had no shooting lanes to the power line so I was happy to leave my bow hanging and just enjoy the opportunity to watch some deer walk by at 10 yards.

They appeared to be on a mission to continue south past me down the power line but 10 yards before my stand, the large, lead doe stopped to browse on the wood line not far from my stand. After that she quickly turned west and began walking the trail that goes past the stand and through the old logging road. I had to grab my bow quickly and was at full draw as she walked through one of the few shooting lanes I had. It wasn't even 10 yards and the Rage Xtreme hammered her just behind the shoulder, passed through and buried into the ground. I heard her crash shortly after I lost sight of her and hoped it was a quick kill.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/halbleib/352E58C8-54C3-4F54-B39E-7EBD1EE4E613-595-00000030E5C5B19C_zpsac9c2133.jpg

I took my time gathering my gear in the stand and got down to check the arrow 20 minutes later. The white feathers and shaft were covered with bright red blood. Although I was confident in the shot, I always try to wait at least 30 minutes before trailing. I walked out quietly and took all my gear to the Polaris before returning to find her. The blood trail wasn't as pronounced as I would have thought. Like we always do, I began to question myself and the shot. It was only a few drops of blood here and there with one or two good spots of spray. I found her less than 75 yards from the stand and was baffled at how little blood there was on the trail after finding a perfect shot, giant wound and a low exit.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/halbleib/C92AC9D9-6892-46E9-AF88-C1D48B9D8A78-595-000000346C84BEF5_zps732432e4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/halbleib/A5DF44D0-D45A-4C40-A2E0-51FBE4BA3AC6-595-00000034A36A68A7_zps50a308c8.jpg

It's not too often that things work out exactly like you think or hope but it sure is sweet when it does. Hope to have the same luck on one of the nice bucks I've been getting pictures of. Now I can work on my cabin for a few weeks.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/halbleib/C24968E9-03C2-460B-B28D-81D68C20DD58-595-000000314509B5C0_zps44cfdbb9.jpg

-Brian

In The Stand2012
10-01-2013, 12:36 AM
Great deer. I work in Hinkley at the corner of State and 303. Do you live around there?

Hey Frmrfred,
Thanks!
I hunt several properties right around there. Do you as well?

John M
10-01-2013, 08:41 AM
Stand
Nice deer ,what broadhead were you using?

frmrfred
10-01-2013, 12:28 PM
Hey In The Stand. My name is Mark and I do hunt behind our shop some. I mostly hunt in Sharon Center. I have a farm there I've hunted since I was a kid. If you ever need help tracking or someone to hunt with, just send me a pm.

In The Stand2012
10-01-2013, 10:53 PM
John, I use Rage 2" Diameter 100G. I've never had a deer run more than 50 yards after whacking with a rage.
Fred, certainly will keep that in mind. Good luck to you this season!

mrbb
10-01-2013, 11:09 PM
John, I use Rage 2" Diameter 100G. I've never had a deer run more than 50 yards after whacking with a rage.
Fred, certainly will keep that in mind. Good luck to you this season!

well to date I have shot and lost 3 good bucks with a rage head, and all shots were pss thru's, and looked great
one I left go over nite and it it rained and snowed off and on all nite, no trail , brought in a tracking dog(over a 150 buck) and never found it, a full pass through too!, arrrow was covered in blood

second one, bedded down 80+ yrds from me, watched it till dark, bled like a pig
came back in the am(had snow on the ground) and found coyotes booted him and he ran till he got to the sunny side of MT, no snow, and no more blood trail to follow, never found him either
20 yrd shot watched the arrow go thru the boiler room, comeplete pass through, covered in blood, and again l;eaked like mad, couldn't beleiev it didn't die in its bed when I left it go over nite!
third I hit a little forward and I THINK I hit some shoulder blade
poor trail, tried to get the dog back, but was out of town, looked for 2 days, then had to head back to PA
was found couple weks later by a local(friend of mine)800 yrds or so from where I hit it burried in a ditch , dam thing fell in a ditch and rammed its head into the bank and was almost invisible, we actually walked by it several times, just so think and deep, some how missed it!, guys dog found it weeks later
so, no blade is a sure thing, 2" rage or not!
still use them, but just saying
and even worse this all happened in 10 days of hunting
bad , no worse hunting trip in my life, crappy way to drive home, rather miss, than loose a deer, spent more hrs looking for deer than hunting that trip!, only hunted about 6 hrs~

Stonegod
10-02-2013, 06:32 AM
Sounds like you need to make better shots mrbb?

hortontoter
10-02-2013, 08:21 AM
Congrats on your first deer at your new farm. Nothing more satisfying than that. Great shot placement too.

hortontoter
10-02-2013, 08:23 AM
Sounds like you need to make better shots mrbb?

Can't get any better than "in the boiler room". Sometimes things happen beyond our control. I'm sure Stan made every effort to find these deer.

Stonegod
10-02-2013, 08:40 AM
Sarcasm......Dick.....just sarcasm! I'm sure Stan made good shots and did everything possible to retrieve his deer.

hortontoter
10-02-2013, 08:50 AM
I should have known you were being serious.

Stonegod
10-02-2013, 09:36 AM
I should have known you weren't being serious.

Yes you should of young man!lol

mrbb
10-02-2013, 12:34 PM
HAHAH, well, I do my best to make the best killing shots I can, but I swear to this day, all them shots were spot on, it was like them deer just wouldn'
t die for me!
looked for days, hired a tracking dog(a guy off this site too), got several bneighboprs involved in looking
after almost 30 yrs of hunting, that was the first time I lost deer with hits like them, non of the deer ran away after being shot too, they stood there in front of me bleeding like water out of a garden hose and just walked off out of sight, all but the one that bedded in sight of me, and I watched him , what I thought was dying, his head would touch the ground, then a minute later pick it up, and then down again, over and over till dark
never thought he wouldn't be there next morning!
was my worst hunting trip in all my yrs
almost gave up hunting after that deal
3 great bucks in 10 days and not a deer to bring home
every shot was a full pass thru, and every arrow was covered in bright red blood, and 20 yrd shots at standing still not spooked deer
some times I guess its just not in the cards, or?? I don't know how to explain that yr! just sucked!

bds9
10-02-2013, 02:21 PM
These are the deer that my buddy and I were lucky enough to bag early this season. Mine was taken on opening evening, his was taken monday evening. So we had two big bucks down before october. I'd say that we'll probably never do that again!

hortontoter
10-02-2013, 03:06 PM
Yeah, I'd bet the ranch it will be a while before you two pull that off again.

Stonegod
10-02-2013, 03:43 PM
Yeah, I'd bet the ranch it will be a while before you two pull that off again.

We've been friends and hunting buddies for years now Dick.....and I never knew you owned a ranch!!lol

In The Stand2012
10-02-2013, 11:33 PM
Mrbb,
My god that sounds like a terrible week of hunting... I'm pretty sure I'd switch broad heads after loosing 3! Or bust out the block and work n the shots:p I've always had massive blood trails and holes so big you can put your nature fist through the hole. I like Montec as well for a fixed head, those little things are incredibly deadly. Best of luck to ya this season!

mrbb
10-04-2013, 12:28 AM
Mrbb,
My god that sounds like a terrible week of hunting... I'm pretty sure I'd switch broad heads after loosing 3! Or bust out the block and work n the shots:p I've always had massive blood trails and holes so big you can put your nature fist through the hole. I like Montec as well for a fixed head, those little things are incredibly deadly. Best of luck to ya this season!

I have since killed a few deer with the rages, but to be honest, I have had less pass thrus with them, than other heads
the deer that died the fastest, last few yrs all didn't get a pass thru with them(out of an X bow, under 25 yrds)

and that yr I threw my bow about about 50 yrds after loosing the last deer, and due to back injuries, swapped over to an x bow
PSE was nice enought to put new lmbs on it after that for free LOL
but I used to shoot very well, just seemed like them deer had way too much will to survive, and an excess amount of blood, or something! LOL
herat breaking Is all I can really say, hope no one ever has it happen to them, just sucked doesn't say it well enough!
but thats hunting I guess , up and down's of all kinds

ed1315
10-04-2013, 10:55 AM
My x bow:
150#
260fps
Energy 61#

I tried many rage muzzy ramcat to name a few.
I shoot thunderhead 100gr
Always get a pass through, never lost one

00buck
10-04-2013, 04:45 PM
Never say never I use to shoot thunder heads and have lost a few

mrbb
10-04-2013, 06:10 PM
well over the yrs I have tied a few heads, and being a big time gun hunter, I have seen deer get shot , shot thru both front shoulders with a .50 bmg, a 750 grain soft nose hunting bullet , with a little over 12,000 Ft Lbs of energy!,
shot at 75 yrds or so,not spooked or alert or anything!
and the bullet left a hole you could throw a football though, and not hit anything
and that deer ran over a 150 yrds, HOW?? no idea, was like jello when we tried to pick it up

and that was shot on video, (don't have the video anymore, and it was on VHS lol!)
SO I am a firm believer in there is no magic broadhead or bullet, or caliber or poundage
some deer just have an act of god in them , that seems to allow them to run even when everything is done right!
its a good thing most deer don't do it, but it happens
we as hunters all I HOPE try our best to make as fast a kill as possible
but no one broad head or bullet is a sure thing!
don't care what anyone says

ed1315
10-05-2013, 12:38 PM
Every situation is different. My woods have a lot of undergrowth the thunderheads work best for this. If I see a lot of blood I know I have a deer down and I don't give up looking. I never take a long shot because the resident does are few (about 5) and I don't want to run them off. They are after all the best bait.

mrbb
10-05-2013, 01:37 PM
Every situation is different. My woods have a lot of undergrowth the thunderheads work best for this. If I see a lot of blood I know I have a deer down and I don't give up looking. I never take a long shot because the resident does are few (about 5) and I don't want to run them off. They are after all the best bait.

we;; I am not sure what lots of under growth has to do with what head you use
its been proven, that all projectiles deflect at random when conbtacting anything in flight, from arrows to missles
makes no difference, a deflection is a deflection?
and I don't take long shots with the bow anymore,(or the rifle for that matter) haven't in about 15+ yrs now
I have helped tracked about 200+ deer over the yrs, and seen several great blood trails go dry, and never recovered deer(NOT all mine LOL) some times things happen
organs shift and plug holes, lack of pass thru's, high hits that just fill inside the caviety, and so on
there are also many not lethal places you can hit that bleed a lot at first , but don't kill
so just cause you find a heavy blood trail at the site doesn't always make for a recoverable deer
sad but true
and thats a great buck in that pic
best of luck

00buck
10-05-2013, 09:11 PM
we;; I am not sure what lots of under growth has to do with what head you use
its been proven, that all projectiles deflect at random when conbtacting anything in flight, from arrows to missles
makes no difference, a deflection is a deflection?
and I don't take long shots with the bow anymore,(or the rifle for that matter) haven't in about 15+ yrs now
I have helped tracked about 200+ deer over the yrs, and seen several great blood trails go dry, and never recovered deer(NOT all mine LOL) some times things happen
organs shift and plug holes, lack of pass thru's, high hits that just fill inside the caviety, and so on
there are also many not lethal places you can hit that bleed a lot at first , but don't kill
so just cause you find a heavy blood trail at the site doesn't always make for a recoverable deer
sad but true
and thats a great buck in that pic
best of luck

yeah that about sums it up unless you are using fixed heads and not expendables because you are worried about early deployment in the brush