PDA

View Full Version : Smoking up

ZakbassZak
09-28-2013, 10:31 PM
Smoked up my clothes, boots and equipment yesterday and put them back in tote. I plan on hitting the woods in the morning. How often does everyone "smoke up"? Is it something I need to do each time before I go out?

whodey1966
09-29-2013, 12:40 PM
Yes, you need to each time. I do it before each hunt.

ed1315
09-29-2013, 05:45 PM
I don't know about that yet. I have read on line about smoking clothes for hunting and agree it may work, but it has to be around longer and proven more for me to jump on the bandwagon.
Every year new things and ideas come out for hunting deer. Some work some don't, many don't last because hunters move on to the next latest craze.
The dumbest craze I remember was the "hunting buddy" blow up doll for your tree stand, It did work but it was dumb.
If I felt my scent was a problem I would give it a try. I would like to try deer decoys but worry that I would get shot if I was using them in a ground blind.
I use deer urine and know that it will bring them close because I have seen it, I don't want to mess that up with a strong smoke odor, but if it works for you great.
Most times if I see a deer before it sees me I get a shot.
My clothes hang outside during hunting season and I use scent blocker on them when I wear them, works for me.

ZakbassZak
09-29-2013, 07:02 PM
This is my first year using smoke on my hunting camo. In the past I've always had some sort of scent lok clothing. I've had a few times over the past few years where deer would catch my wind using my scent lok clothing. After reading other threads on here with other hunters claiming that "smoking up" was the best method to mask the human scent - I'd figure I would give it a shot. One thing that I think that works in my favor is that the home owner (whose house is less than a 300 yards from where my stand is located) uses wood to heat his home. There's always a smoke fragrance in the 23 acres where I hunt. So far so good- I had a couple doe come in and my scent didn't seem to bother them. I will keep everyone updated. Thank you for the responses as well, keep them coming. I am interested in other's (who smoke) routines as well as those who do not use smoke. Thanks!

ZakbassZak
09-29-2013, 07:15 PM
Ed - You gave me an idea. Someone should start a new thread "worst hunting ideas/inventions". I would be interested in seeing what others have to say.

Griz
09-29-2013, 07:47 PM
Smoked up my clothes, boots and equipment yesterday and put them back in tote. I plan on hitting the woods in the morning. How often does everyone "smoke up"? Is it something I need to do each time before I go out?

This is my second year smoking up. I have not had a bad result yet. I smoke up everytime I go out. Its work to smoke evertime out, but I believe it works. I if have a deer blow at me, I will let everyone know. So far, with many encounters, not one deer has blown at me. I have found that filling my totes with smoke at home before I leave gives the best results. I have a striker and a small tank of gas that you sweat copper pipes with to start the smoker. Works great, even in the rain.

ed1315
09-29-2013, 09:33 PM
I smoke up everytime I go out. Its work to smoke evertime out, but I believe it works.

If you believe it works, by all means stay with it and try to improve on it. Having confidence in your gear and tactics, I believe, is most important to success.

hoopie
09-29-2013, 11:15 PM
I use a scent smoker and I love it. I havnt been scented in two years and I have had numerous deer downwind at 20 yards that don't have a clue I am even there. I smoke up right before I head into the woods everytime.

Stonegod
09-30-2013, 06:34 AM
If you believe it works, by all means stay with it and try to improve on it. Having confidence in your gear and tactics, I believe, is most important to success.

You can have all the confidence in the world....but if your tactics and/or gear are faulty.....it's not going to do you much good.

Big_Holla
09-30-2013, 09:59 AM
Yes, if you can add smoke every time before a hunt. The fresh smoke seems to last longer and I prefer it that way I can smoke my hands, hair, bow, etc.. If you are in a pinch though you should be able to get away with well smoked clothing that has been stored. Maybe smoke up a towel you can wipe your hair, face and hands down with before going that route only.

ed1315
09-30-2013, 07:29 PM
You can have all the confidence in the world....but if your tactics and/or gear are faulty.....it's not going to do you much good.

I agree you must have good gear and tactics, but you are not confident in what you are doing?

John M
10-01-2013, 06:56 AM
Ok, Can someone explain the procedures. How is the fire started? What wood is used? Is any type of propellent utilized? To address the question of repeated use, i would seal the clothing in an airtight bag between hunts if I couldn't re smoke before the next day out.

Big_Holla
10-01-2013, 08:49 AM
Ok, Can someone explain the procedures. How is the fire started? What wood is used? Is any type of propellent utilized? To address the question of repeated use, i would seal the clothing in an airtight bag between hunts if I couldn't re smoke before the next day out.

Most use a bee type of smoker or you can also get one at: www.scentsmoker.com

Hickory smoking chips is most often used and you can add additional varieties including pine, pine needles and pine cones too. Start the fire inside using a propane torch and once it's going good you snuff it out with another small handful of wood chips to get the smoking going. Just let the smoke cover everything from clothing, pack, bow, release, boots, seats, blinds, etc..

ed1315
10-01-2013, 10:19 AM
Interesting, I wonder if liquid smoke as used in cooking would work. It has a strong hickory smell and could be used like doe pee. Anyone try this? It could be the next big thing.

Big_Holla
10-01-2013, 12:47 PM
Interesting, I wonder if liquid smoke as used in cooking would work. It has a strong hickory smell and could be used like doe pee. Anyone try this? It could be the next big thing.

The smoke masks your human scent so you'd have to take a bath in the stuff. Not really used as an attractant in any way other than I have had deer curiously follow my trail in and out of the woods without spooking tho.

tim1676
10-01-2013, 01:11 PM

I think the enzymes in the wood smoke are what nuetralize the human scent/odor...liquid smoke would not do it

whodey1966
10-02-2013, 05:07 PM
I smoke up the easy way, I have a burning barrel I use for trash, I just put leaves and twigs in it and light it and stand over it to get smoked up. I do this before each hunt, and after several yrs of doing this I have never been winded!

Strother23
10-03-2013, 08:52 AM
I've been reading everyone's post on "smoking up" and I mite have to give this a try. I havnt heard of it til I seen it on here but I seems interesting. Being winded is the worst. Are there local places that sell smokers for bees. I seen the website about scentsmoker.com but I'd rather not order stuff online.

ZakbassZak
10-04-2013, 08:09 PM
I've been reading everyone's post on "smoking up" and I mite have to give this a try. I havnt heard of it til I seen it on here but I seems interesting. Being winded is the worst. Are there local places that sell smokers for bees. I seen the website about scentsmoker.com but I'd rather not order stuff online.

Not that I know of.. I've ordered mine from scent smoker back in early August - it took about 2weeks before I received it due to back ordering.

I'm new to this as well. I will post updates on this thread throughout the season.

Good luck guys!

woodyw333
10-04-2013, 11:45 PM
I just started smoking up this year as well. From the results that I have seen and from talking to guys that have been doing it for a few years, I'm hooked.. I ordered mine on a Thursday night around 6pm and it was at my house that following Saturday. $43.00 was the total after shipping. I figured why not I spend that plus some on detergent, deodorant, and spray every year so why not try this.. Glad I did!

mrbb
10-05-2013, 02:00 PM
well my 2 censt on smoking up
I personal;ly think all animals find fire to be danger
in area's that lots of folks burn wood, it might be taken as less danger and a more common smell
but at the same time, if you are in an area that smoke smell isn't normal, and you go in smelling like a fire
I have to think deer will pin point your location in a tree on the ground and thus, make you stand out to them, and have them more focused on your location, and also think many might avoind the area all together
does it mean no deer will ever come in, NO, all deer do things different than other deer, if they have reason to be there odds are they will be there unless a solid more reason is about for them to not be there
But again, I think they can pin point you and thus make any small movements more noticed by deer
just think about it, if your in aroom and someone farts< hey we all do it,
but you start looking to see who did it?
smoke in the woods where its not normally there or as strong, ??
I think is the same deal
will it cver up human odor? I guess it can
but at the same time its adding a new odor to the place
so I prefer to use other ways try to trick there nose
in my eye's tryibng to smell less of anything is best!
but we all can do as we want, it how it should be
if you have confidence, your odds will always be better I think too!
and if you have skills, a ton more on your side of upping the odds!

Griz
10-05-2013, 03:34 PM
well my 2 censt on smoking up
I personal;ly think all animals find fire to be danger
in area's that lots of folks burn wood, it might be taken as less danger and a more common smell
but at the same time, if you are in an area that smoke smell isn't normal, and you go in smelling like a fire
I have to think deer will pin point your location in a tree on the ground and thus, make you stand out to them, and have them more focused on your location, and also think many might avoind the area all together
does it mean no deer will ever come in, NO, all deer do things different than other deer, if they have reason to be there odds are they will be there unless a solid more reason is about for them to not be there
But again, I think they can pin point you and thus make any small movements more noticed by deer
just think about it, if your in aroom and someone farts< hey we all do it,
but you start looking to see who did it

smoke in the woods where its not normally there or as strong, ??
I think is the same deal
will it cver up human odor? I guess it can
but at the same time its adding a new odor to the place
so I prefer to use other ways try to trick there nose
in my eye's tryibng to smell less of anything is best!
but we all can do as we want, it how it should be
if you have confidence, your odds will always be better I think too!
and if you have skills, a ton more on your side of upping the odds!

I tried it last yr. seems to work, I'm in a tree right now . I feel even if a deer comes in down wind I still have a chance . I have not been busted yet. If I do, I'll let you know. Give it a try . I'd be interested in what you think then. You may be surprised. I think you can teach an old dog new tricks. LOL !

mrbb
10-05-2013, 03:38 PM
I tried it last yr. seems to work, I'm in a tree right now . I feel even if a deer comes in down wind I still have a chance . I have not been busted yet. If I do, I'll let you know. Give it a try . I'd be interested in what you think then. You may be surprised. I think you can teach an old dog new tricks. LOL !

no I will not try as for 2 reasons, one I very very seldom ever get busted with what all I do now, and second, and maybe mroe inportant, no one within a few miles of me burns wood where I hunt
so here it would I think not work that well, and be more of a give away than a cover up help

Griz
10-05-2013, 04:01 PM
Ok mrbb, you don't have too . But if you don't try it then you just don't know if it works.

mrbb
10-05-2013, 08:54 PM
Ok mrbb, you don't have too . But if you don't try it then you just don't know if it works.

well I am not saying it won't work, just pointing out some logical reasons why I don't do it
I have no issue's with getting scented doing what I do, so no reason to change
and I have deer most sits 360 degrees about me for hrs at a time, and don't get scented much
I do work hard at being scent free as possible,
and liek I said in places where wood burning is a regular deal, sure it works best
here fire is a danger alert to most critters

00buck
10-05-2013, 09:19 PM
well mrbb what do you do as a scent killer or cover scent just curious as I am always looking for new ways to see more deer and not get busted due to scent

mrbb
10-05-2013, 10:05 PM
well mrbb what do you do as a scent killer or cover scent just curious as I am always looking for new ways to see more deer and not get busted due to scent

sent you a PM< don't want to HI jack this post anymore than what maybe I have!