PDA

View Full Version : Trail Cam Gone!!!

Cheif
09-18-2013, 11:23 AM
I went down to check my pics today and my trail cam is gone. This really pisses me off and I hope that these idiots were stupid enough to go try to pawn it in somewhere. I wrote down serial number manufacturer date of this cam and model # before I ever put the cam up. I know that this happens and that there are theives out there too but it just pisses me off because not only did they get my cam but possibly some pics of my shooter bucks and if they are hunters they may try sit in my spot while Im not there. Has anyone else had luck with hitting up local pawn shops and finding their cams there.

00buck
09-18-2013, 11:38 AM
No my cameras and feeder and 2 ladder stands and 3 hang ons and 5 trophy rocks were taken in the last 2 weeks went to check them yesterday since I got off work early and they are all gone pisses Me off took 3 cameras and had to cut the locks off stands took me awhile to buy all this stuff and the time to hang and set everything I am in morrow county hunting my parents land

Cheif
09-18-2013, 12:01 PM
i have been trying to get a pattern down on this 10 point who is my number one shooter and now I am not going to be able to get that down. Only ten days left till season starts and I believe that will be my best time to put him down. especially before this early gun season coming up in October.

mrbb
09-18-2013, 01:42 PM
well I feel your pain all too well, over the yrs I couldn't tell you how much stuff has ben stolen on me
plain old sucks
it will teach you to find better ways to lock crap down, or it has for me
I still say, I wish trail cam companys would ogger GPS track services on there cam
I know a TON of guys would be willing to fork out some $$ to find the SOB's that took there cam;s
or I know I woould
Might have to save up Bail money first LOL
and again, not saying they wouldn't get it, but Cuddy back makes teh ONLY dam bear proof metal camera box that protects the dam lock too, I have NOT had one stolen since I started using them
every other cable lock, or metal box still leaves the lock right there for bolt cutters to simply cut and walk away!
a shame, so simple to make yet no one else does!

ladder stands, cement the dam legs to the ground, hamme rin some rebar, and cement them to the legs, and bolt the top of the stand to the tree's
loc's on
never leave climbing sticks or a way up to them
I made custom steps that slip on lag bolts, use them for sirt 8 ft or more
doing this has sure stopped many things from walking off on me
sucks for the added work, but if you hunt a place all the time, yr after yr, and have a lot of trespassers, its the only way I found to keep stands and camera's there when I want to use them, or 90% of the time now
still get crooks, but lot less get anything!

Strother23
09-18-2013, 02:41 PM
Sorry to here that. Sucks that thieves don't understand how much Time and hard earned money goes in to setting up a hunting area. Hope u are able to find the thief or get the camera back. Like mrbb said it's a pain to have to secure everything better but you almost have to now.

00buck
09-18-2013, 03:13 PM
i called the police and it didnt do a whole lot of good they said they would look into it and i gave them copys of everything i had for the stuff i kinda wonder if the homeowners insurance could be used

Strother23
09-18-2013, 03:20 PM
That's not a bad idea. I guess I couldn't hurt to try. That stuff adds up quick. Guess it would depend on what your deductible is.

buckstalker17
09-18-2013, 05:03 PM
That just sucks point blank sorry to hear it man.

zachc
09-18-2013, 05:27 PM
That's some BS! It seems like this is becoming more and more common these days. I just moved my camera yesterday and tried to camo it in as much as possible, in hopes no one snags it. And especially on your parents land, that's a little crazy. I would for sure pay a little extra to have a GPS installed on mine, just for cases like this.

00buck
09-18-2013, 07:35 PM
sorry cheif didnt mean to jack your thread

mrbb
09-18-2013, 08:50 PM
That's some BS! It seems like this is becoming more and more common these days. I just moved my camera yesterday and tried to camo it in as much as possible, in hopes no one snags it. And especially on your parents land, that's a little crazy. I would for sure pay a little extra to have a GPS installed on mine, just for cases like this.

I think trail cam company's would make a ton of money too if they did
and with cell plans and service almost every where these days
and cell phone's having GPS tracking in them, it cannot be that expensive
and sure would save a lot of guys from loosing cam's I think

00buck
09-19-2013, 05:09 AM
I would pay extra for it guess I am headed to the store and pull some older stands out of garage and get them up bought quickcrete last night have 2 more ladder stands to put up and a hang or 2 to buy and get up how long of lag bolts should I get for hang ons

bigboy
09-19-2013, 11:12 AM
I had a cuddeback stole last year in Ohio that was in a metal box that someone had to take a saws all and get it off the tree cause I mounted it with lag bolts and they cut it clean, I thought of going to the camera system that sends pic straight to your phone or computer just to see if I can catch who it is it would be worth the extra cash just knowing what scum it is!!!!!

mrbb
09-19-2013, 11:12 AM
I would pay extra for it guess I am headed to the store and pull some older stands out of garage and get them up bought quickcrete last night have 2 more ladder stands to put up and a hang or 2 to buy and get up how long of lag bolts should I get for hang ons

if your asking about lag bolts for using as steps, I don't use the actual lag bolt as the step
I made brackets, there shaped like a "L" with a hole drilled in one end, and then I milled a slot in them , so the hole slips over the head of the lag bolt, and then I slide the step over the head and down on the bracket, thus locking the step to the tree by the head on the lag bolt
I use at least 5 inch long and like 9/16 to 5/8's inch lag bolts, I like strong steps( i know yrs back I started a post on these steps I made, they tend to cost me about 6 bucks each I think, and made about a dozen or so, and can then take from stand to stand, or hide them near the tree(been know to forget them a few times LOl) but doing this, I have never had a stand stolen since, somone would have to bring a ladder to get to the stand and then tools to get it down, seems like too much work for them!

now if your taking about bolting the loc on and ladder to the tree
I take metal "X" wide, and "X" long, and "X" thick, and drill hole so I can lag botl the braket to the tree like a U bolt using the lag bolts to hold the stand on to the tree(NOT as a way to hang the stand, just so it doesn't walk off, and also I guess it can be a back up some what, but leverage might pull the bolt's pending up beefed up you make it or not)
I also even use two different size lag bolts, I like 4 inch long or more in the 1/2" range and then one bigger, so if a crook comes he has to use two different wrenches to remove, more work for me, but also for them!
I have also been known to grind down half the head too, and screw in with vice grips, so a socket cannot be used, also to deter thieft

mrbb
09-19-2013, 11:23 AM
here is a pic' of one of my steps, don't have a lag bolt handy but the top hole on the far left it, slips over the head,m and then slides down on the shaft of the lag bolt seperating the lag bolt head from the tree with the bracket between them, the leverage of the step against the tree, then locks the step there to climb up, there rock solid, and nice and wide to climb up too
I used to buy the brackets, they come 4 holes drilled in them, there harden metal, I believe there used in building electrical supports, rated I think for like 1700 lbs
A local electrical supply stpre sells them, and then I just drill open one hole a little bigger to go over the lag bolt, and then mill in the slot
its HARD mettal, a metal lathe is needed or a Milling Machine
I know folks that made them after seeing mine, and think there local machine shop charged like 5 bucks each to mill the slot
here is the pic's
if I rememeber next time I am at the farm, I will try to take some pic's of them on the tree
and also the other brackets I use to hold the loc' on's on and Ladder stands

also, o some of the steps, I added anti slip for traction, as wet or icy they can be slippery a little, but all steps are that way in ice LOL

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z457/mrbb1/treestandstep_zps51d0304f.jpg (http://s1190.photobucket.com/user/mrbb1/media/treestandstep_zps51d0304f.jpg.html)

zachc
09-19-2013, 11:27 AM
A game cam that sends pics straight to your phone is a brilliant idea! And I would love to have one. But them puppies ain't cheap that's for sure

I had a cuddeback stole last year in Ohio that was in a metal box that someone had to take a saws all and get it off the tree cause I mounted it with lag bolts and they cut it clean, I thought of going to the camera system that sends pic straight to your phone or computer just to see if I can catch who it is it would be worth the extra cash just knowing what scum it is!!!!!

mrbb
09-19-2013, 11:40 AM
A game cam that sends pics straight to your phone is a brilliant idea! And I would love to have one. But them puppies ain't cheap that's for sure

I paid for the moltrie service plan last yr or yr before, , it sent pic's to phone or PC or where ever you gave it an e mail address
and it sucked, pic's quality was terrible, and it would suck down battery like a full set of batteries in like 50-100 pictures sent
so needed new battery's in the modem every day , or two 3 days
was terrible, I have the solar pannel for the cam, works great, they need one for this modem too! maybe that would help there!
took Moltrie 3 extra weeks to get it activated, yet screwed me on loosing them 3 weeks in my plan

you want to by it off me, still have the modem works on all moltrie camera's I think, plans can be bought in several ways
I'll sell it cheap

http://www.trailcampro.com/moultriegpsgamespyconnectmodem.aspx

zachc
09-19-2013, 05:39 PM
I paid for the moltrie service plan last yr or yr before, , it sent pic's to phone or PC or where ever you gave it an e mail address
and it sucked, pic's quality was terrible, and it would suck down battery like a full set of batteries in like 50-100 pictures sent
so needed new battery's in the modem every day , or two 3 days
was terrible, I have the solar pannel for the cam, works great, they need one for this modem too! maybe that would help there!
took Moltrie 3 extra weeks to get it activated, yet screwed me on loosing them 3 weeks in my plan

you want to by it off me, still have the modem works on all moltrie camera's I think, plans can be bought in several ways
I'll sell it cheap

http://www.trailcampro.com/moultriegpsgamespyconnectmodem.aspx

Well I know I said I would like to buy one but...considering how much you just told me it sucks, I think im gonna have to pass. I was thinking more along the lines of a buckeye cam or something. A few hundred bucks (or more) and its all mine...if I was only made of money, lol.

mrbb
09-19-2013, 08:08 PM
hahah I was just saying, if you wanted to try I'd let it go cheap
I mean it did send pic's
but quality wasn't the best that's for sure
my hopes were if maybe someone stole it I would at least get there pic
but the dam Moltrie cam I have the trigger spped /wake up time is so slow, a [person can grab it and walk away before it takes a dam pic's any way's
so just wasn't worth keeping the plan going, and I was spending way too much on batteries

but I would sell it for for 50 bcusk if anyone wanted it, like a 100 off LOL
but doubt anyone wnats one after what I said about it
just being honest

Cheif
09-19-2013, 09:30 PM
Its cool man. i just needed to get it off my chest.

Heavnbound
09-20-2013, 08:16 AM
I put my cameras up high- out of the line of sight, and out of reach. They really have to try if they want them. Meaning, get a ladder! Sorry about the loss guys, that stinks!