PDA

View Full Version : Ohio Odnr

mrbb
09-16-2013, 06:42 PM
Ok don't know if any of you Ohio residents care to take a state survey, but here is one for you's to do if so liked
you can maybe keep more trails open to ATv's and or??
seen it some place else so just thought I would share the link

http://www2.ohiodnr.gov/news/post/odnr-seeks-input-from-ohioans-regarding-outdoor-recreation-preferences

Mightymet
09-16-2013, 09:42 PM
Ohio is the most unfriendly state when it comes to ATV's. the state has only about 50 miles of trails combined. I believe that does not include Wayne national forest. And the odnr keeps putting money towards snowmobile and horse trails. It's very frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)

mrbb
09-16-2013, 10:00 PM
well I wouldn't bark so loud, PA is not very friendly either
as far as I know, its even stricter than Ohio, on all but a few places, and that;s only cause its part federal owned lands
but considering we have almost 2 million plus ac's of public lands
and maybe 300 miles or so of legal use for ATv's
its kinda sad!
and I love the fact in PA, its a LAW that your supposed to have your atv insured and a dam lic plate/registered, on all but your own lands
yet having the reg, the insurance, and the lic plate, and still cannot drive it in 99 % of the state!
Crazy

nomad_archer
09-17-2013, 09:37 AM
mrbb you are correct. In forest county I believe you can ride your property licensed/insured atv on all off the dirt roads but on none of the paved roads.

mrbb
09-17-2013, 09:15 PM
mrbb you are correct. In forest county I believe you can ride your property licensed/insured atv on all off the dirt roads but on none of the paved roads.

NO not in PA, any state or federal road is off limits to ATv's be them licened or registered, paved or gravel
its all illegal
only legal place to ride in PA< is on a designated ATV trail approved by the state, and or on some sections of game lands, , during hunting season with a handi cap permits, on handi cap aproved area's only!
and or your own lands, or private lands you have written permission ON you, to ride !
and its illegal to be on any land but your own, on an ATV in PA< that is NOT registered and insured
Crazy laws, and I am sure in many places they get over looked, but still illegal
even in state owned ATV trails, there is a long list of rules all atv's must have, no agressive tires, a spark arrester, licensed and and registered and insured, helmets MUST be worn and safety eye wear, and no passangers un;less the ATV came from the factory with a two up option, for just a few
PA is pretty strick on ATV useage
wish it was more like WV< or even Maine
where you can use them so many places, would sure justify owning one a lot more
and a shame to me, as we here in PA, have to have so much into an ATV , from registering and license plate, and still no useage in most places! Sad!

89trackerpro17
09-18-2013, 07:54 AM
I like that they don't allow atv on state property. Makes those hard to get to woods a better big buck habitat.

mrbb
09-18-2013, 10:29 AM
I like that they don't allow atv on state property. Makes those hard to get to woods a better big buck habitat.

I agree to a point, but sure would be nice to use your atv for more things than just on your won lands
or have some more sections of public land open to them in off season

nomad_archer
09-18-2013, 11:03 AM
NO not in PA, any state or federal road is off limits to ATv's be them licened or registered, paved or gravel
its all illegal
only legal place to ride in PA< is on a designated ATV trail approved by the state, and or on some sections of game lands, , during hunting season with a handi cap permits, on handi cap aproved area's only!
and or your own lands, or private lands you have written permission ON you, to ride !
and its illegal to be on any land but your own, on an ATV in PA< that is NOT registered and insured
Crazy laws, and I am sure in many places they get over looked, but still illegal
even in state owned ATV trails, there is a long list of rules all atv's must have, no agressive tires, a spark arrester, licensed and and registered and insured, helmets MUST be worn and safety eye wear, and no passangers un;less the ATV came from the factory with a two up option, for just a few
PA is pretty strick on ATV useage
wish it was more like WV< or even Maine
where you can use them so many places, would sure justify owning one a lot more
and a shame to me, as we here in PA, have to have so much into an ATV , from registering and license plate, and still no useage in most places! Sad!

Though you are correct for most of the state, my camp is in West Hickory, PA and you are allowed to ride ATV's on the dirt roads. These arent ANF atv trails but dirt roads used to access camps etc. Now those rules may just apply to the town or the surrounding towns. Maybe the entire county but I dont remember exactly what the restrictions are since I dont have an atv. The designated roads you can use the ATV on have signage indicating just that. But the area around my camp that allows this seems to be a one off in regards to the rest of the state.