PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky deer hunting?

Mikebaker
09-08-2013, 10:57 AM
Just wondering if anyone is hunting Kentucky this year? I had hopes of going but the guy sold the property 2weeks ago and the new owners hunt so we couldn't get in.

C-CREEK
09-09-2013, 03:18 PM
A buddy and I put in for the Elk archery lottery... sadly neither i nor him won... would really like to hunt KY elk sometime before i die :)

00buck
09-09-2013, 07:29 PM
never hunted kentucky but somebody said there season opens up early enough to get a buck in velvet

Mikebaker
09-10-2013, 09:08 PM
Yes it opens early. Last sat was opening day. Some good buck hit the ground from what I'm hearing. And elk is something I love to hunt. Didn't get drawn either. Maybe next year!

nomad_archer
09-11-2013, 08:17 AM
One of our members here jmax510 is out there as we speak. He put a nice buck down this time last year in KY. Here is to hoping he does it again.

Strother23
09-11-2013, 09:02 AM
In had no idea there is an elk lotto in Kentucky. I'm going to have to check into that. Always thought elk are out west only.

nomad_archer
09-11-2013, 01:01 PM
Strother there is an elk lotto in PA as well.

Strother23
09-11-2013, 02:22 PM
Nice to know. I have never got into hunting elk so I guess I just didn't know they are this close to Ohio. Now that i know they are not that far I mite try to get into some of the lottos and see if I can get lucky enough to get a tag.

mrbb
09-11-2013, 04:57 PM
not only that, some of the biggest elk are being killed too
PA broke a few records in the past few yrs
due to low hunting numbers, much older class of elk, and well, sadly, in breeding, making a lot of non typical elk racks
that have been scoring over 400 inches, and over 400 is HUGE for an elk
heck anything over 350 is BIG

Mightymet
09-11-2013, 05:53 PM
Is the PA lotto only open to residents?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)

mrbb
09-11-2013, 06:18 PM
no its open to all, just a smaller portion of tags go to non residents I think
but its a low odds draw for all, so?
and don't forget theer is also a preference point system too, to compete with

mrbb
09-11-2013, 06:23 PM
here is some info to look at if you like

http://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/gallery/hunting/big-game/elk/2012/02/new-state-record-nontypical-elk-pennsylvania

and tehe state link for all elk hunting info

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=622076&mode=2

nomad_archer
09-12-2013, 07:49 AM
The PA Lottery is equal opportunity for res and non res hunters. The PA Elk herd is 860 animals I believe and this year they are drawing a total of 86 licenses (26 antlered, 60 antlerless).

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=622076&mode=2

Mikebaker
09-12-2013, 06:22 PM
I had no idea pa had elk? I will be putting in for that go sure next year. I hope there's plenty of state ground to hunt on where there at.

mrbb
09-12-2013, 06:38 PM
well there is TONS of great lpublic ands to hunt them on , out in the north western part of teh state
they have many elk viewing locations all over Elk country in them area's
I actually took a ride out theer about 3 weeks ago, seen many female cow lek in folks backyards, many, even being had fed??
guess in the tourist's locations they get a little over fed by people, and , on some of the private lands there too,
but tons of rooms to hunt,(maybe close to about 300,000 public acres in elk area) and that's actually part of why there hard to kill
a few thousand acres and only say a thousand elk, is not easy, as many of the best places , just like whitetail hunting is private lands holding a percentage of the elk, making odds even lower
MOST of the people that kill elk hire a guide, that lives in the area, as they see the elk all yr and they tend to stick to same places yr after yr, so, the guided hunts are MUCH higher kill ratio hunts
But to see elk in the wilds in PA, its not a far drive from the Ohio border at all, less than maybe an hr and a half or less
and right now is a great time to go there too, as they will be bulgeling pretty good about now with there rut starting up
in about 2 more weeks would be prime time, plus the added colors of fall leaves
worth a drive if anyone has the desire
just remember its a lot of nothing out there, so gas stations are farther and fewwer
I was on my bike, and it was 65 miles between stations while I was cruising about the area, not so big a deal in a car, but in the bike, was cutting it close on fuel LOl

mrbb
09-12-2013, 06:43 PM
here are two links to show some good routes to drive to see elk in PA
there pretty easy to get to , right off I 80, and the area is very nice country to drive in, good roads, but will admit, places to eat and gas are some what fewer, due to large tracts of federal and state lands, but nice to me to have large chunks of lands like that
its very heavy with motorcycles too, ton's of riders in the area, and again, the raods are in great shape for rides too, was just there again, 3 weeks ago
the roads where I live are pothole crazy terrible
made me realize how much better they were in the Elk area! nice change for sure !

http://pittsburgh.about.com/cs/pennsylvania/a/elk.htm

http://pawilds.com/listings/info/elk_scenic_drive/1361/

and one more

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/stateforests/elk/

PA/OHbuckhunter
10-06-2013, 09:16 PM
I had no idea pa had elk? I will be putting in for that go sure next year. I hope there's plenty of state ground to hunt on where there at.

Just stumbled onto this site, looks great!

mrbb
I have been hunting Oh for the past three years, love it!

Just a note to anyone interested, I belong to a camp in the elk hunting region of Pa.
If anyone draws a tag and needs a place to stay/rent I can see if we can accommodate you, probably very reasonable!

Stonegod
10-06-2013, 10:48 PM
Welcome to the site PA/OH buck hunter!!!

Mikebaker
10-07-2013, 08:07 PM
Welcome to the site! And that's pretty nice of you. I plan to put in for a tag as well as in ky. I hope to meet you someday! ��

mrbb
10-07-2013, 08:36 PM
[QUOTE=PA/OHbuckhunter;156191]Just stumbled onto this site, looks great!

mrbb
I have been hunting Oh for the past three years, love it!

I agree Ohio was always one of it not my favorite ot of state hunting trip, the one I miss more than any opther too
lost my place to hunt in Ohio, goig to be the third season now, and its truely missed, almost as much as the owner, who passed away , thus loosing my place to hunt
was a great guy, and had some of the best deer hunting I ever got to experience in all my yrs , in all my travels
Ohio rules for big bucks! all over that state, and lots of good public lands, residents there are spoiled LOL
no kidding , I have hunted a lot of states, and trust me, ohio has it for deer and deer hunters, long seaons, great state dept(ven if some don't agree, turst me there are plenty worse out there)
ohio is a state to hunt if you can!

PA/OHbuckhunter
10-07-2013, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys! Almost got my PA buck tonight he walked under me 10 minutes too late!
I'll try again in the morning before work.
mrbb...your right Ohio guys are spoiled! they should try it here in PA where you have to hunt really hard for a big buck.
One thing I have found in my trips to OH is that all the people I have had dealings with, hunters & non hunters, they are great people!
I enjoy every trip I make to OH. Can't wait till Nov.!!!!

mrbb
10-07-2013, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys! Almost got my PA buck tonight he walked under me 10 minutes too late!
I'll try again in the morning before work.
mrbb...your right Ohio guys are spoiled! they should try it here in PA where you have to hunt really hard for a big buck.
One thing I have found in my trips to OH is that all the people I have had dealings with, hunters & non hunters, they are great people!
I enjoy every trip I make to OH. Can't wait till Nov.!!!!

spot on, most of PA is nothing like ohio
and why so many travel there and not here
Funny, as back in the 60's70's and 80's, it was the other way arround, tons of folks came to PA< not cause of big bucks, but cause we had so many deer, odds were super high of killing one
one of PA's major down fall in game management, they tried to set the bar as to having the most deer, and didn't do anything for too long to support them, road the free wave of lots of deer due to timbering and out farming, things they didn't even do! but took credit for all them deer!
but once we lost the mass of that, (state has less than 40% of farms now as it did in the 90';s never mind the 60-70's and 80's)
the state fell on its ass, and the game dept didn't see it coming, a piss poor insight on there part for sure! and very very sad in my eye's
they also didn';t see the loss of Pheasants too, ?? makes me wonder what they do at times!!

But I will admit, in PA , right now, its the best big buck hunting now in its history in IMO, but its only due to lack of hunter numbers and that antler restriction, that SOME follow! not really due to any land /habitat ,imporvements done by the state
sadly, I think more private folks can take credit for that than the state dept, as so many clubs and hunters I know plant there own food plots these days, and do QDM, on there own! as wll as habitat improvements on private lands now a days! and a pure shame, as we here in Pa,
we have a couple million acres of state and federal land to work with, open to the public
and so little being done on them for wildlife,
seems our game dept, thinks its mother nature's job to fix it! is supposed to fix itself! with little to no help from them! LOL

JMax510
10-08-2013, 12:21 AM
I just got back from my DIY hunt on public land in KY. It took awhile but I managed to finally outsmart this deer after seeing him 5 days out of 19 total days of hunting. I got him on my 3rd trip down and drive is 476 miles one way for me. 1 state down now PA and Ohio are next.10358

mrbb
10-08-2013, 12:39 AM
well congrats on a great buck, and good luck on the next 2

blackbeard
10-08-2013, 11:45 PM
I hunted KY three years in a row a few years ago, public land, seen quite a few deer, enjoyed it a lot, but my out of state days are over with a 2 and 4 year old.

Mikebaker
10-09-2013, 09:51 AM
I hear ya kurtis. I have four kids at 10,8,7 and 2 yr old. I'm strapped for a while unless I get a elk draw then I'm going to have to go. But I quit hunting ky when I lost my big farm over there. Plus, it hit at about the time things got busy at work and home. Sure do miss it tho!