PDA

View Full Version : Throw and Grow plot

Toke2
09-06-2013, 08:18 PM
...planted a throw and grow plot out in the woods (public) two weeks ago. Wondering if anyone has had experience with these, and how soon I should go back and check it / put up a trail cam. I did rake and loosen the soil, used a spreader ( only 20x20 ). I did NOT fertilize it, or water it. Any thoughts on how it may do?

mrbb
09-06-2013, 09:14 PM
most of them seeds mixes, have a coating of a littl;e bit of fert lime and start up
most will grow as long as the ground isn't hard as a rock, and well the seeds make contact with dirt/soil, and not sit on leaves and that matter
most of the seeds in them are pretty fast growing and you should see a sprout of what's in the in 7 days or less on most seeds
in about 3 weeks, it should be about 3-4 inches tall on a good take or taller
al lot of teh seeds are like 45-80 day deals to mature status

bowtech3
09-06-2013, 10:24 PM
I put some down two weeks ago Saturday, went back last week it was almost 4".. If you put it in a 50 shade 50 sun and not rock hard it grows really well...

00buck
09-07-2013, 09:21 AM
is it legal to plant plots on public land ?????????????

Toke2
09-07-2013, 10:27 AM
Thanks - comments are encouraging. Wasn't too optimistic but thought I would give it a try. 00Buck - I don't know. I guess I thought since I didn't cut anything ( only raked the soil) I assumed it was legal. I will have to find out and report back. I am not one to break any rules, but ignorance is no excuse... While on the subject is it legal to trim any branches when using a climber on public land? I try to find "ready to climb" trees, but now I am wondering if I pruned a branch from my set up - if I would be violating any regs?? Unless someone knows for sure ( if so please share), I will call the ODNR and get some answers...

mrbb
09-07-2013, 02:22 PM
here in PA< it is illegal to cut or trim any living tree, and or plant anything on public lands state or federal
NOW will a game warden write you up for cutting a few small branches or twigs??
or will they notice any small plots??
Maybe maybe not, but odds are its not allowed in Ohio either
call that stuff the gray area, most of do at some point in time in our yrs hunting, and well, some get in trouble and some don't
Good luck!

Toke2
09-13-2013, 07:31 AM
So I am reporting back. After calling the ODNR and talking 6 different people - only one knew the answer. And it it NOT advised to use throw and grow on public land. First it may be considered baiting - but only if you hunt over it. And the main reason you don't want to do it..... LITTERING. Yes, the throwing of seeds in the woods is littering. So, I and a huntin buddy both called multiple people and while only one could answer the question - I would not advise it. Nor, will I be hunting over what I threw down. For the record, I went back to clean up my litter, and the seeds were nowhere to be found! Just a plush carpet of green clover/grass go figure! Learn from mistakes fellow rookies.... Ignorance of the law is not an excuse. Thanks 00buck for asking the question, I try to do things by the book - as we all should. That's why this forum is so valuable to us newbies!

mrbb
09-13-2013, 10:47 AM
Well I figured it wasn't wanted to be done
and it can also be a way of invasive plants to be grown on public lands, another reason they don't want it done there some states can fine for adding new plants to an area
but glad all is good now for you

nomad_archer
09-13-2013, 10:51 AM
Toke, last I checked you can hunt over bait in ohio so I dont think it could be considered baiting. As for littering I could see that one.

packerfan1094
09-14-2013, 02:05 PM
Toke, last I checked you can hunt over bait in ohio so I dont think it could be considered baiting. As for littering I could see that one.

You can only hunt over bait on private land in Ohio.

mrbb
09-14-2013, 04:30 PM
that's correct NO baiting is allowed on Public lands
and even on private lands, its a ??
as if you plan on hunting tuurkeys, its a NO NO too
as only legal to bait deer, and not other wildlife as how I rewad the rules too!
so tree rats and all cannot be shot near bait!
BUT doubt anyone really enforces that too much

mrbb
09-14-2013, 04:38 PM
I should, add as to DATE, food plots are not considered bait, so a food plot on public lands wouldn't csalaled bait, BUT its illegal to make them on public lands, so??
in that case its a no no, un less there state planted then all is good, or local farmers and its a co op farm

but dumping corn in a pile or about on public hunting grounds in Ohio is illegal to hunt over or near!

00buck
09-15-2013, 12:38 PM
well thanks for answering that question wasnt sure if it was legal or not

nomad_archer
09-16-2013, 04:19 PM
You can only hunt over bait on private land in Ohio.

You are correct. It's been awhile since I hunted in ohio as such I am a little rusty on the regs.