PDA

View Full Version : Deer processing

Strother23
09-03-2013, 08:54 PM
Looking for some reputable places near Grove city or Ashville area. Just south of Columbus somewhere. I had a private guy do it last year and he cannot do it this year.
Thanks

mrbb
09-03-2013, 09:26 PM
I would suggest trying your local archery shops and asking who they like to butcher, or even again, contact your local game warden, as odds are he will; know who is up and up in that business, and also know if there known good or bad
I know one guy down near Athen, but bet thats too far

zachc
09-04-2013, 01:17 AM
I'm not sure of anyone around that area, we usually cut up our own. But if you're going to take it to someone who hasn't cut one up for you yet, I would recommend finding out what cuts you're getting first, i.e. chops, steaks, burger, roasts, etc. I have taken mine to a local shop and he gave me a bunch of cuts I didn't like/want. He packaged up the ribs, which contained for all of them, maybe 1/2 of meat, also shanks from the legs, hardly any meat on them. So make sure you know what you're getting.

aweave8
09-30-2013, 04:43 PM
I've only shot a handful of deer but managed to figure out how to process them myself. It's not too hard. Google "
Kentucky Afield Deer Processing DVD". It's a great resource from start to finish.

ed1315
09-30-2013, 07:35 PM
I do my own processing always did. I like to pack it the way I want to and it is a skill well worth learning. I have also heard bad stories about butchers.