PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Rut prediction

Griz
09-02-2013, 02:55 PM
I've been out of the picture for a few months now. No excuses, just been working to much. I have tried to keep up to date by reading new posts. I hope I have more time to contribute.
I recieved the Oct issue of Deer and Deer Hunting a few days ago and Charles Alsheimer has his peak rut dates as follows: Seeking Phase: Nov 12 to Nov 17, Chasing phase: Nov 15 to Nov 22, and Breeding phase: Nov 20 to Nov 30. I guess that means its going to be a late rut!! Last year I came down to Ohio on the 2nd wk . ( some rut activity, but not alot) This yr I rented the cabin for the 1st week in Nov. Maybe I'm going to be to early? What do you guys think?

00buck
09-02-2013, 04:20 PM
couldn't really tell ya last years rut was different in my area i actually saw more rutting activity during October but with the early muzzle loader season I wouldn't know i took 2nd week of November off

hortontoter
09-02-2013, 04:31 PM
If I could hunt only one week of bow season I would hunt from Nov. 10-17. By then most if not all the leaves have fallen and the weather should be cold enough to have bucks moving.

mrbb
09-02-2013, 06:39 PM
well I always took like the third week on Nov to hunt SE ohio,(the week after PA season would close, what ever the dates would fall on)
and always did good, ,biggest deal maker or breaker for me was weather, in yrs thngs were hot, it sucked, in cold weather yrs, Much better
I worry more about temps than anything else once Nov comes about
big fat bucks don't like warm temps, they tend to move more at night then, making slower days on stands, pray for cold and you should be fine!

Strother23
09-02-2013, 10:34 PM
You should be fine. Cold weather helps But still a good time of year. The rut can be different for different parts of Ohio. I expericed that last year. I have 2 hunting areas far apart and rut happened about a week difference between the properties.

hortontoter
09-03-2013, 07:50 AM
You should be fine. Cold weather helps But still a good time of year. The rut can be different for different parts of Ohio. I expericed that last year. I have 2 hunting areas far apart and rut happened about a week difference between the properties.

Good point. I think the rut happens at different times depending on locations too. Some of my best sightings have been a few days either way of Halloween.

Griz
09-03-2013, 08:48 AM
Thanks for all the input. I'm praying for cold weather.

zachc
09-04-2013, 01:07 AM
It's hard to say around here...all depends on the weather. And here in Ohio if you don't like the weather, just stick around for a little bit and it'll change! But I would agree, anytime in the middle of Nov should be good.

C-CREEK
09-04-2013, 12:14 PM
If I could hunt only one week of bow season I would hunt from Nov. 10-17. By then most if not all the leaves have fallen and the weather should be cold enough to have bucks moving.

I have found the same thing, at least in stark and carroll counties for me i have enjoyed the greatest amount of rut activity around the 10th of November.

Big_Holla
09-04-2013, 12:35 PM
Really hard to say. I have a few dates I keep in the back of my mind when planning my hunts in Ohio. Nov. 5, 6 & 9 have always been good days for me. Years ago the biggest buck I have ever had within 20 yards showed up....the evening of the 5th. after I filled my buck tag that morning!! Last year our biggest buck was killed by a neighbor the week before we came down so I always hate being behind the 8-ball. I also look at it this way, if I am early then I have an excuse to go back the following weekend LOL. Also plan to take the kids down some in November, perhaps youth weekend as well so it keeps the door open for that.

hortontoter
09-04-2013, 05:52 PM
I've always liked Nov. 5, it is my birthday.

Stonegod
09-04-2013, 07:29 PM
I've always liked Nov. 5, it is my birthday.

Ok......did everyone pick up on Dick's "hint".......we got til Nov. 5th to buy Dick something for his birthday!lol

hortontoter
09-04-2013, 09:52 PM
Someone took the hint. No need to wrap anything!

Mikebaker
09-04-2013, 11:00 PM
Good point. I think the rut happens at different times depending on locations too. Some of my best sightings have been a few days either way of Halloween.

I agree, around Halloween had alway been good for me. The bucks really seem to start moving then. I looked back at some of the footage dates we have of bucks chasing or more big buck sightings and most was between nov 14-26. The prob we always have at our farm Is the big bucks seem to already know well ahead of time where they'll be at the end of October. We always have a doe or two come in early then they disappear untill mid nov. even a lot of does leave or just go into hiding. It really is up to the property. The buck to doe ratio, age of bucks/does, food....ect. This is why I miss check stations by us. When the kill pics started showing up on the trophy board you'd better be in the woods.