PDA

View Full Version : Dripper or no dripper?

zachc
08-31-2013, 12:49 AM
Ok so I have always thought using a dripper sounded like a pretty good idea, but I have also heard that big bucks will not fall for them. So my question is do you use a dripper and if so how does it work for you? What do you fill it with?
I decided to give it a shot last year and filled it with tinks power scrape. Within the first week I had a boat load of pictures of bucks and does both. I had several different bucks checking it out, not all big bucks but bucks are bucks right. As a matter of fact I have a couple pics of the buck I ended up shooting, which scored 151". I continued to fill the dripper with tinks power scrape and most of the way through the season I continued to get pictures of deer.

zachc
09-08-2013, 11:17 PM
I guess no one uses a dripper....

Mightymet
09-09-2013, 06:53 AM
We true it out last year with no success. I don't really mess with any of that stuff. I will however use the tinks heat activated doe urine pack during the rut. I had a nice buck come in to it last year nose to the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)

Strother23
09-09-2013, 08:57 AM
I have also used the tinks dripper and i had pics of deer checking it out. Only small bucks and does. Seen that they were making scrapes under the dripper though. Pretty neat to see.

mrbb
09-09-2013, 11:25 AM
well I have been using them for yrs, and made many post about my luck or nont with them
I personally found, that no matter what I put in them, my buck pictures always fell off, once I added a dripper to an active scrape
been running a camera over one for about 3 seaons now or longer, and every yr, the same deal, go from lots of buck pic's , hang dripper, and numbers of buck pic's dropped!
tried every scent I can think of, have 5-6 drippers too, from apple cider to doe in heat to you name it
I think nothing beats the real thing
sure it can work, but my experience with them is, I don't hunt over or near one!
there just a trick that can work for you or against you, pending the deer!

Mightymet
09-09-2013, 01:45 PM
As a fairly new hunter I know it easy to want to use a lot of these things to try to get the big bucks. But then I got to thinking that people have been hunting for thousands of years without all the stuff we have today. So I don't really spend to much on that kind of stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)

Toke2
09-09-2013, 02:52 PM
I have never used one as I have heard what mrbb wrote - can help or hurt. I do uses a doe urine drag when getting to my stand however in an effort to mask any scent ( or simply confuse ) that I may have coming and going.

nomad_archer
09-09-2013, 04:16 PM
I've never had much success with using scents but that may just be my hunting area. I do what I can to stay scent free and get to where the deer are going to be and enjoy the hunt. I try to keep it simple early in the morning when I usually hunt.

00buck
09-09-2013, 07:16 PM
i have tried them and have only young bucks going near them i only really use scent during the rut other than a drag rag with doe urine on it

Big_Holla
09-10-2013, 08:09 AM
I have tried one off and on over the years as well. Had some decent bucks come to it but that was also before trail cams really hit the market. My biggest thing was getting it up and back down without hanging all over the licking branch I had it over. If it were too low then it got knocked down. Ended up using a long branch to tie it to that I propped up and tied to the tree I wanted the scrape under. Seemed to be easier that way to just pull the branch down, fill and reposition....all with rubber gloves of course.

mrbb
09-10-2013, 11:47 AM
I've left mine out all yr for last 3 seasons, over traditional scrape sits, can even see one in some of the pic';s I post all yr!
I've tred doing this to see if that would help with getting them used to it hanging there, after season I do remove and wash and boil it scent free, so when fall comes and I add new scent its free of any odd smells!
still hasn't cause me to say there working great
any thing can work or not, so its just another toy to play with in my opinion!

89trackerpro17
09-11-2013, 10:29 AM
I've tried them over last few years with little results. I've used many different scents and don't really see any results. I will not be using them this year v

zachc
09-12-2013, 09:37 AM
I've left mine out all yr for last 3 seasons, over traditional scrape sits, can even see one in some of the pic';s I post all yr!
I've tred doing this to see if that would help with getting them used to it hanging there, after season I do remove and wash and boil it scent free, so when fall comes and I add new scent its free of any odd smells!
still hasn't cause me to say there working great
any thing can work or not, so its just another toy to play with in my opinion!

I would have to agree, just another toy to play with. I have only used a dripper this past season so I cant really say if it is working or not, but I can say that I had very good results with it last year. So...its safe to say that I will be trying it out again this year, just to see what happens. Havent tried any urine in it, only tinks power scrape so not sure what ill put in it this year.