PDA

View Full Version : Treestands

Mikebaker
08-25-2013, 10:02 AM
Just curious who else leaves Treestands out all year?
If you do please check them well before getting back in them. I'm guilty of it and I'm sure I'm not alone.
Things to check for
First off watch for wasp nests! Trust me on this!

Second, I check the cables holding the platform. They get rusty and can break in a hurry. Replace if needed. This one to me I hard to tell so I've replaced them just incase. Go to a local wire/rope company if the manufacture doesn't sell replacements.

Third is the main strap. This is one i replace every other year if I leave them out. Even the chain on's can break. So check it and replace. I use plain ratchet straps. Seems to do the trick.

I've heard of too many guys and girls falling every year from stands giving out. Also, make sure to wear a safety harness while doing this. Hopefully every one has a safe season this year!

buckstalker17
08-25-2013, 01:59 PM
i do not leave mine out i take them down around the first of march and replace the cables every other year .i have a cable machine at work so when i make mine i tend to go little heavier on the cable some of the members of my family will use them from time to time and they are some full figured fellas. i just like to know they are safe and as far as straps they get replaced every year and sometimes twice if the stand gets a lot of hunting action.i just can not see letting someone get hurt over a 5 dollar strap ....

alpine
08-25-2013, 08:51 PM
Good advise you can never be too safe Hope everyone else feels the same as me about safety belt. I fell naked without one

Sent from my Milestone PLUS using Tapatalk 2

Big_Holla
08-26-2013, 07:39 AM
Yep, good reminder........

Here is a thread Blackbeard started a while back that hits on those notes as well. Should check it out.....

http://www.bowhuntingohio.com/forum/showthread.php/23406-Replace-those-treestand-cables

nomad_archer
08-26-2013, 08:21 AM
Also folks dont forget to replace the cables on the climbers as well. Even though they dont spend as much time in the elements it doesnt hurt to replace them when they start to show wear. Summit straps tend to hold up along time but the outside coating does wear. I replace my climber cables every 5-8 years based on wear.

Stonegod
08-26-2013, 08:34 AM
Oh the beauty of using a ground blind....all I need to do is replace a broken support rod and duck tape a few holes from the mice.lol But for you tree dwellers this thread is a very important reminder....my brother's hunting buddy has a very bad fall when his strap broke....was a seriously diehard hunter....now not so much.

nomad_archer
08-26-2013, 08:37 AM
Ground blinds are nice I use those too but nothing compares to the view from a tree stand in some situations.

00buck
08-26-2013, 11:52 AM
i replaced some of mine back when this was posted before how about the stabilizer bars on your ladder stands do you or should you replace them

nomad_archer
08-26-2013, 02:50 PM
The stabilizer bar that goes from the rungs of the ladder to the tree? I think that is a let common sense dictate type of thing. If it is rusted and falling apart then I would replace it but. Check the bold that is used for adjustment to make sure it functions properly other wise I dont see a need to replace that part every year kind of one of those as needed type things along with the nuts/bolts that hold the stand together.

Mightymet
09-09-2013, 09:07 AM
I have a friend that also leaves his tie off strap out all year. I don't do this. The elements tend to be pretty harsh on that stuff. Be sure to inspect that strap as well as your harness also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)

nomad_archer
09-09-2013, 09:51 AM
Leaving out a tie off strap on the tree year round is a terrible idea.

mrbb
09-09-2013, 11:15 AM
well I never leave a loc on out more than afew months, and even that accoprding to makers is way too long, most say a week is all, and YES that is very short time in a tree
but they claim its the fact the tree grows, and that stress can do major damage unseen to the eye
I always use at least two straps on all my loc on's
better safer than sorry
as for ladder stands, well them I leave out all yr, I tend to loosen the straps at season end, so I can either re snug next yr or replace
I replace straps on ladderstand every 3 yrs, or sooner if need be, and yup, I have two on each ladder too
I also use metal made brases I bolt the top section to the tree with, so it can never pull of the tree, and use extra heavy duty metal and lag bolts, also helps keep stands from being stolen, do this on loc on's too some times

as for support bars on ladder stands
, YES, I inspect and replace as needed, I have had many over the yrs simply rot away, they seem to be made of cheap metals and paint
same goes for the ladders and stand , they are only metal, and metal left in the weather will decay in time
I will admit I spend more time, looking at my taller ladderstands more, due to the stress on the legs, I always feel the BOW in them as there made to work, holds a lot of pressure, so good to keep an eye on them in them area's
and after about 10+ yrs I retire most ladder stands, as figure they served me well, and welds and who know's ?? can be going bad from the inside out, something I wouldn't be able to see, as I know water gets inside them, better safe than sorry my therory

RajunGajun
09-09-2013, 12:10 PM
I have 5 ladder stands on 2 different properties and have been leaving them up year round. I generally go out in March or April and loosen the straps, and move them if I feel like having a different view the next season. Right about now I start going out and replacing old straps and looking over all the rest of the parts. My final check is to cinch my harness down nice and snug and give a few good shakes on the platform to make sure all the parts I cant see will hold together. Generally speaking the straps are lasting 3 years or so, and everything else has held up pretty well. A couple are getting close to retirement age after this season, so I will probably take them all down after this year and give them all a twice over before trying to get another season or three from them.

mrbb
09-09-2013, 12:32 PM
I forgot to add, I am pretty regular about spainting any spots on my stands that look like rust is going to start
wally world 99 cent a can flat black, and tan, work well on the cheap to keep them lasting longer I think too!

00buck
09-09-2013, 07:46 PM
I forgot to add, I am pretty regular about spainting any spots on my stands that look like rust is going to start
wally world 99 cent a can flat black, and tan, work well on the cheap to keep them lasting longer I think too!

yep i do the same dont want rust on my stand