PDA

View Full Version : Completed My Stand Preperations

hortontoter
08-24-2013, 11:43 AM
Finally finished getting my outhose stand ready for the season. A new paint job, a new floor, and finally got it off the four foot platform and at ground level. Even got my artifical Christmas trees placed on the side that had sparse cover. My buddy walked around my shooting lanes so I could check shooting distances. Here are a few views.

hortontoter
08-24-2013, 11:45 AM
A couple more.

mrbb
08-24-2013, 11:48 AM
well looks good, now you just need that splitter to walk by on opening day

buckstalker17
08-24-2013, 11:48 AM
Man that looks better than my 200 dollar blind set up. I might need to reevaluate my set up if there is enough room to draw a compound bow nice job HT

hortontoter
08-24-2013, 12:11 PM
Yeah mrbb, that would be the best thing that could happen.

Man that looks better than my 200 dollar blind set up. I might need to reevaluate my set up if there is enough room to draw a compound bow nice job HT

I can stand up in this stand, but just barely. Shooting a compound would be a bit tough. But, if you had the stand sitting atop 4 cement blocks, one on each corner, it would be tall enough. Only issue would be the shooting window placement. I'd run the window vertical for a compound.

This will be my first season to use this stand at this location. I've used this stand the previous seven seasons in two different locations on my property. I've killed deer out of it every year, except last year. I never had a deer in range in this stand last year, but I hunted most of last season in a pop-up blind. I spent the entire season trying to decide the best place to put my outhouse this year. Hopefully, I made a good decision.

buckstalker17
08-24-2013, 12:21 PM
Hmm I thinking about like may be one of the wheelchair access ones they might have enough room I'm gonna look into that

hortontoter
08-24-2013, 12:33 PM
The wheelchair accessible ones will be wider and deeper, but I don't think any taller.

hortontoter
08-24-2013, 12:38 PM
If you ever consider one of these for a stand. I highly reccomend you fina an old fiberglass one. The newer plastic ones don't hold paint as well. They will work, but will need painted often.

buckstalker17
08-24-2013, 12:42 PM
I can shoot sitting down as long as my chair has a low back to it. But like you said I will have to cut a few vertical windows in. Or on big hole idk gonna research it.

Strother23
08-24-2013, 01:24 PM
That's a really good idea. I would have never thought about that. How to you get an old outhouse? Just contact local companies and see if they have any they are getting ready to trash?

nomad_archer
08-24-2013, 01:39 PM
Looks good

zachc
08-24-2013, 02:28 PM
Looks good and a good idea. Nice sturdy blind to get out out of the weather when needed. How's it hold heat in the winter?

hortontoter
08-24-2013, 03:33 PM
I bought this from Miller & Co in Canton, Ohio. I paid $125 for it, but had to gut the insides down to just the shell. I then made a floor with 2X10 sides and nailed a floor on top of the square 2X10 frame. I then slid the shell over the floor and bolted the stand on to the sides of the 2X10's.

I use a Buddy heater in this stand when it is really cold. It keeps it fairly warm. The two portholes have a sliding plexiglass cover that I can be closed in cold weather. That way the wind doesn't come in the front shooting window so much.

00buck
08-26-2013, 11:21 AM
looks good i hope it works out for you