PDA

View Full Version : How to convince a landowner?

belcikmj
08-23-2013, 12:29 AM
So I have a great piece of property i can hunt, however the land owner says I cant shoot bucks or turkeys, just does. They said they see a ton of bucks, but they dont want me to shoot the bucks because they like to look at them.... Does anybody have any advice on talking to them and trying to change their minds?

ManOfTheFall
08-23-2013, 03:07 AM
My advice is you get your foot in the door which you already have, build a good relationship with them and your time will come to take a buck.

nomad_archer
08-23-2013, 07:07 AM
It is really simple. Play by the landowners rules. If they only want you to shoot does then that's what you do. Otherwise you will be looking for somewhere else to hunt. Build the relationship with him over a few years and see if the landowners mind changes after you get a few years hunting there.

buckstalker17
08-23-2013, 09:15 AM
I have a couple of areas I hunt that are the same way does only but I call them my freezer stands I use them to fill the freezer and I give the landowner about 40lbs of meat a year and after 3 years he told me this year I can take one buck if I want. when the owner of the property get attached to them deer only time will change there mind so just be patient with them and remember they are letting you hunt there property eventually they will see one that they thinks needs to be taken out and they will most likely let you hunt one particular buck that's the case with me the one he's letting me hunt is a mane frame 12 and he is a old bruiser at that I can't wait so don't get frustrated with them and leave people like that are some of the best herd managers you will run across cause they will not let anyone mess with there herd

belcikmj
08-23-2013, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the input guys, I will play by his rules, and then see if they will allow me to take a buck later on.

mrbb
08-23-2013, 11:02 AM
I agree with all the above, just don't push them
I would also be using this place to hunt sheds, and show them all you find, maybe even offer to give them some or all too
and then use that as a way to say, maybe
something like
Boy I wsh I could really get to gave one of these fine bucks to get mounted so I can admire all yr
just go easy, and time might be the best route to get a buck tehre

nomad_archer
08-24-2013, 06:45 PM
Again with everything that was posted above plus hunting these kinds of places can be very informative since you will be able to really study the big buck behavior without trying to get a shot. You could always take a camera and share the photos with the landowner if they are interested. In my limited experience hunting in places like that also means there is a pretty good chance you will be able to see a few deer almost every time out

zachc
08-24-2013, 09:10 PM
Good advice. Another good point of playing by the land owners rules and staying on good terms with him is that he might not let you shoot a buck the first couple years but he might just happen to know another land owner that will let you. So showing him that you are wiling to play by their rules and respect them and their property may get you some more private land to hunt.

00buck
08-26-2013, 11:37 AM
It is really simple. Play by the landowners rules. If they only want you to shoot does then that's what you do. Otherwise you will be looking for somewhere else to hunt. Build the relationship with him over a few years and see if the landowners mind changes after you get a few years hunting there.

i agree i have hunted a spot that the landowner has certain deer off limits and i have done so and this year i can shoot any thing i want been hunting it for 7 years and it wasnt until they planted ornamental trees last year and the bucks rubbed them that they told me to shoot whatever