PDA

View Full Version : bowhunting southeast ohio

jbucks12
08-11-2013, 07:09 PM
Hey guys coming to southeast ohio in late August . I am from upstate ny and have hunted Dillon before. I am looking at going more south and have maps of many places in that area. I will be hunting first week of November any good ideas were to start scouting ,and what's the chance of seeing a 120" deer. I will be hunting public land any info will be useful thanks.

mrbb
08-11-2013, 11:43 PM
well ist not like 120's are behind every tree, but I have never had a problem finding 120's in SE ohio in every place I hunted, again not easy in any way, but so many folks hold out for bigger, leaving good turn over yr to yr on 120's
where I spent my last 10 yrs hunting in SE ohio, all the locals I knew all had a 140 + standard, was a gold mine area, and was very close to public lands too,
like all hunting, you have to make the ffort to get the rewards
the Wayne, zannesville, about the Athens area, all holds some great bucks, and has some great public lands too
if your heading down that way, stop in the wayne head quarthers(neilsonville) and get some of there maps(free), and ask them places to look into while your there, they have UP to the minute details on places timbered/ timbering, what crops planted where, and so on
can then go look in the places
can also ask about anyone in the area that has crop damage due to deer, ask them, ask the local warden too
never know till you ask
might find a land owner looking for help, getting you acess to lower pressure or more known how many folks will be hunting there info!
Good luck

mneal
08-14-2013, 02:12 PM
You might try the Tri-valley Wildlife Area or the Powellson Wildlife area... both are within 20 minutes of Dillon and do not receive a lot of pressure until gun week. Both areas are reclaimed mining acreage that now hold lots of deer. If you don't mind a bit of walking... I have seen some nice bucks at Tri-Valley while rabbit hunting there the last few years and I know the Amish kill a lot of deer during gun season. Good Luck... The number of out of staters with leases is growing like crazy every year and it is getting harder and harder to find private land to hunt. I own my own hunting property now... but I have seen lots of nice bucks killed on public land around this area. It is definitely a possibility.

PlayTheWindMike
08-14-2013, 06:31 PM
Tatmans and township 293....:) very nice hunting area...good luck