PDA

View Full Version : APPLE GOLD MINE

offtheground
08-11-2013, 10:06 AM
Found a guy that has four apple trees that are loaded this year,said he does not even pick them. So without too much over reaction and with all my muster I ask, if he mind if I picked them. And he said yes.

Now,how to cold store them is my question in cool basement? How long will they keep?
Pick them before ripe?

Strother23
08-11-2013, 10:13 AM
Not sure how long they will keep in a cool basement. Might want to freeze some for later in the year. Good luck though. I have always had success with apples.

Big_Holla
08-11-2013, 10:24 AM
Tough to say how long they'd last in a cool basement and it likely wouldn't be long before you'd have fruit flies all over. Freeze them if you can, otherwise use them as they hit the ground. I'd leave them hanging until you need them and if it's OK just go back often to rake them up.

mrbb
08-11-2013, 11:26 AM
Well green apples will keep longer than red/ripe ones
so if you plan to try to store longer, try to sort them as you pick them
I used to use 5 gallon buckets, fill to top with green hardest apples, and just place a lid on top, not sealed, just to keep bugs off, and I have been able to have them last about 5+ weeks like this in a dark cool basement, actually a coal cellar
as the apples in your house basement might still attract fruit fly's by the hundreds
but most will last a few weeks, and deer will eat them even if there soggy, just watch out for any that get moldy, and don't fees them if that happens
last yr I stored 22 , five gallon buckets, put out a bucket a day over a camera in my back yard, and all were good , good luck!

zachc
08-20-2013, 11:23 PM
So I have an apple tree in my backyard and for some reason this year the apples are on like crazy! With everyone talking about collecting and dumping them I decided to give it a try. I bagged them up in big chicken food bags (kinda plastic like) and put them in my deep freeze, will they stay good frozen until later in the season? I'm thinking when most of the crops are out and food is a little harder to find.

Strother23
08-21-2013, 10:42 AM
Yea it's nice to have some apples to put out. I wish I could find someone on south side of Columbus that has to many apples and I can take some of their hands.

00buck
08-22-2013, 12:46 AM
So I have an apple tree in my backyard and for some reason this year the apples are on like crazy! With everyone talking about collecting and dumping them I decided to give it a try. I bagged them up in big chicken food bags (kinda plastic like) and put them in my deep freeze, will they stay good frozen until later in the season? I'm thinking when most of the crops are out and food is a little harder to find.

i put them out late in the year straight out of the freezer if it is really cold i let them thaw in garage first

zachc
08-22-2013, 01:01 AM
i put them out late in the year straight out of the freezer if it is really cold i let them thaw in garage first

Sweet, glad to hear that they'll stay good for later in the year. I have my deep freeze filled up and going to see about stashing some in my dads and brothers freezer too, because I still have a LOT to pick.