PDA

View Full Version : He's Back!!!

Cheif
08-09-2013, 12:14 PM
Ok guys, I need your help here. My ten point that I chased all season last year is back and I have had him on the cam since I put it back out in June. I have started a journal recording his movements and when he has come on to the cam Now,, before I ask this question I know there is no magical product that I can use to get a desired result. But I have him on the camera about every four or five days. But is there something that I can do to get him to come around a little more often without making it totally obvious. I feel the best chance to get this buck is going to be early in the season when its less obvious that people are out in the woods. ideas, thoughts, anything I am just looking for some insight.

Strother23
08-09-2013, 01:48 PM
Well are you putting out anything in front of your camera to attract them now?

buckstalker17
08-09-2013, 02:12 PM
Let his routine work to your advantage he must have a large area he has claimed as his to come around only every 4-5 days. I would just keep logging his activity even maybe put out another camera or move that one around and see if maybe he is staying in the area but only uses that trail every 4-5 days but rt now they have a plentiful food source check over your grounds and see what you have that he is coming after but if the grounds offer no cover or bedding area it will be hard to hold him on the grounds. Good luck

mrbb
08-09-2013, 02:24 PM
Well animals live on food, keep good food handy and that should keep him close by
deer travel to get one of a few needs, food water, safety and breeding, if you can have all that , your deer will stay put, minus the young moving out to find a home, of there own, but if no better place is near by, even they will stay

Cheif
08-11-2013, 05:32 PM
I do have out a mineral block and my spot is going down a hillside to a creek. I thought about starting to use a mock scrape dripper. I seen on the recent bowhunt or die episode that a guy starts doing that a little earlier in the season to keep bucks around???

mrbb
08-12-2013, 01:46 AM
well I have used the scent drippers for yrs now, and never had one work , I have tried every scent made I think, and ran a camera over a scent dripper or 2 for months non stop
and all my results have been , less bucks going into the area I placed it
NOT saying it wouldn't work, just saying my facts of playing with them
I still run a few every fall, and right now mine are still out since last yr, trying to keep deer used to seeing and smelling them
I wash them after season and leave out at normal scrapes used yr after yr
and again, once I start a dripper over an Active scrape, all my results have been fewer bucks hitting the scraps after I add scent to the dripper, be it, doe in heat, doe, pee, buck pee, so called attractant, or tarsal gland, or food flavored scent
all results have been the same
I started a post or two over the past 3-4 yrs about thiese results
just my 2 cents

MJH
08-12-2013, 04:50 PM
Let his routine work to your advantage he must have a large area he has claimed as his to come around only every 4-5 days. I would just keep logging his activity even maybe put out another camera or move that one around and see if maybe he is staying in the area but only uses that trail every 4-5 days but rt now they have a plentiful food source check over your grounds and see what you have that he is coming after but if the grounds offer no cover or bedding area it will be hard to hold him on the grounds. Good luck
This rite here!^ Plan your hunt on the 4th or 5th day when he is "supposed" to show up and have your butt in the stand!

Mike

Cheif
08-14-2013, 10:03 PM
ok fellas. Thanks. I have had this buck on my mind almost everyday since last year when he winded me or something in late November. Its getting close time to "go time" and I want to hear any and all thoughts and ideas. Knowledge is power. That's why I ask. Keep it up guys.

Big_Holla
08-15-2013, 08:11 AM
Missed your original thread somehow. Mock scrapes might be a good and more natural way to keep him frequenting an area. There are a couple of on-line podcasts where they talk about it as well. Keep them scent free other than the lure you are using in the mock scrape. Piling on food and other similar things will only put him on alert more, even though many use it effectively. Our plan this weekend is to get several mock scrapes started and concentrate them around a couple of stand locations. Hopefully that will get them coming through the area more often and hopefully lay claim to it as their territory. Keep us posted!!

ohiobuckhunter
08-16-2013, 11:17 PM
Stay out of there until its time to hunt and when the time comes to hunt him play it smart hunt the wind and don't pressure him