PDA

View Full Version : Ground blind recommendations?

zachc
08-09-2013, 10:41 AM
Ok so I am wanting to get a ground blind for bow hunting but there are so many choices and so many mixed reviews out there. I am wanting something with a decent amount of room and wanting to stay around $100. Any one have recommendations on a specific blind?

mrbb
08-09-2013, 11:11 AM
I have had a lot of luck with the ameristep Dog house blind
http://www.ameristep.com/blinds/doghouse.html
they are pretty roomy, and they last a few yrs, and can be had on sale for about 50 bucks if you wait
I prefer them due to they are fast easy to set up, and have so few poles in the way on the windows, and hey, if one gets stolen, I don't be out a load of cash
down falls, well the windows need to be open pretty well to get full use/angles, and the roofs cave in pretty easy under some wet snow, about 2 inches or more, and that will break the roof support poles, BUT I have found I can make stronger poles out of PVC, and by doing this, I have been getting about 2-3+ yrs out of a blind, being left outside all yr long, sure if you take them in in off season they will last longer, mine go bad from YV breaking down the material, thus then they tear
I have treid a few others, and some pretty costly models too, and they all failed sooner being left out all yr

here are two pictures of these blinds after being out for over 3 yrs the first one, and the second one , well its done , been out for 4 full yrs none stop, pic's were taken yesterday too LOL

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z457/mrbb1/4043_zpsf770c8d0.jpg (http://s1190.photobucket.com/user/mrbb1/media/4043_zpsf770c8d0.jpg.html)

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z457/mrbb1/4044_zps66f20090.jpg (http://s1190.photobucket.com/user/mrbb1/media/4044_zps66f20090.jpg.html)

buckstalker17
08-09-2013, 11:16 AM
I use a primos blind works great I be leave it was around 135-145 it's has plenty of room for 2 and windows are low enough to shoot a bow out of some blinds the windows are a little to high for my taste but its gonna be hard to find a good blind that will hold up for a 100 you might have to spend a little more

buckstalker17
08-09-2013, 11:30 AM
I have had a lot of luck with the ameristep Dog house blind
http://www.ameristep.com/blinds/doghouse.html
they are pretty roomy, and they last a few yrs, and can be had on sale for about 50 bucks if you wait
I prefer them due to they are fast easy to set up, and have so few poles in the way on the windows, and hey, if one gets stolen, I don't be out a load of cash
down falls, well the windows need to be open pretty well to get full use/angles, and the roofs cave in pretty easy under some wet snow, about 2 inches or more, and that will break the roof support poles, BUT I have found I can make stronger poles out of PVC, and by doing this, I have been getting about 2-3+ yrs out of a blind, being left outside all yr long, sure if you take them in in off season they will last longer, mine go bad from YV breaking down the material, thus then they tear
I have treid a few others, and some pretty costly models too, and they all failed sooner being left out all yr

here are two pictures of these blinds after being out for over 3 yrs the first one, and the second one , well its done , been out for 4 full yrs none stop, pic's were taken yesterday too LOL

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z457/mrbb1/4043_zpsf770c8d0.jpg (http://s1190.photobucket.com/user/mrbb1/media/4043_zpsf770c8d0.jpg.html)

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z457/mrbb1/4044_zps66f20090.jpg (http://s1190.photobucket.com/user/mrbb1/media/4044_zps66f20090.jpg.html)

I had 2 of those blinds and hated them cheap zippers noisy as all get when it's windy out windows are way to high to me there is a reason they are under a 100 bucks they are poorly made I got exactly what I paid for when I bought them and I will discourage anyone from buying them.

zachc
08-09-2013, 09:06 PM
I have an ameristep dog house blind. I have used it before for bowhunting but its a little small for me. I really like it for gun hunting though. It just doesn't have enough room to move around in once I get my bow (with arrow nocked) in there. We've had it for a couple years now and it is still holding up pretty well, although we take it down during the off season/when not in use. What about zip away windows vs shoot through mesh? I have never used the shoot through mesh and am a little skeptical, granted it must work good considering a lot of blinds use it these days.

mrbb
08-09-2013, 09:20 PM
biggest advantage of the mess is its harder for deer to see in, as it allows less light into the blind, thus you don't stick out as much
I never used them, these blinds I have have smaller higher windows, and with it, and then the bigger windows without it
as for them being crappy blinds, I still disagree
if you set them up and leave them be for a little while deer pay Zero attention to any noise they make, actually seems to help me get away with any accidental noises I might make
I also found using the tabs on the outside to tie them off with can make then very stable
and I only shot out of mine with a compund bow from sitting, too short to stand up for sure
but the BIGGER much more costly stands are heavier, and they have a boat load of metal poles all over, and the costs difference can be HUGE
as for getting what you pay for, sure maybe
but then again, I have left blinds that cost well past double what these cost, and had them fall apart in less than a few months
so I cannot say they are made cheap, and YES I know leaving them out all yr is NOT what there made for
just saying at 50 bucks a pop, and hunting out of them from Sept till about end of MAY, I got lazy over the yrs and said hell, just leave them out and replace as need be!
and they all lasted 2-3 yrs non stop being up out side in all sorts of weather before failing!, so that's not built too cheap for 50 bucks in my mind!

buckstalker17
08-09-2013, 09:22 PM
I have the shoot through mesh in my primos blind I find it blocks the target to much just seems like its hard for me to pick my spot and I find it hard to tell if they are slightly 1/4 towards me or away I use it more for ventilation and to cut down on the light inside the blind. Though some might live by it.

buckstalker17
08-09-2013, 09:33 PM
biggest advantage of the mess is its harder for deer to see in, as it allows less light into the blind, thus you don't stick out as much
I never used them, these blinds I have have smaller higher windows, and with it, and then the bigger windows without it
as for them being crappy blinds, I still disagree
if you set them up and leave them be for a little while deer pay Zero attention to any noise they make, actually seems to help me get away with any accidental noises I might make
I also found using the tabs on the outside to tie them off with can make then very stable
and I only shot out of mine with a compund bow from sitting, too short to stand up for sure
but the BIGGER much more costly stands are heavier, and they have a boat load of metal poles all over, and the costs difference can be HUGE
as for getting what you pay for, sure maybe
but then again, I have left blinds that cost well past double what these cost, and had them fall apart in less than a few months
so I cannot say they are made cheap, and YES I know leaving them out all yr is NOT what there made for
just saying at 50 bucks a pop, and hunting out of them from Sept till about end of MAY, I got lazy over the yrs and said hell, just leave them out and replace as need be!
and they all lasted 2-3 yrs non stop being up out side in all sorts of weather before failing!, so that's not built too cheap for 50 bucks in my mind!
I'm not trying to ruffle your feathers that was my experience with them I will never buy any again now if you are hunting with a crossbow or gun they would work better for that but for a compound bow they are terrible windows are way to high and they are not deep enough you almost have to draw the bow with the arrow out the window so that you don't get caught up hitting the back wall of the blind. And I'm only 5'6 with a 27" draw and i could not imagine what it would be like for someone with a 30-32 inch draw and say 35" axel to axel I never leave my blinds out I take them down I've had this primos for 4 years and it still looks brand new. So ill pay a extra 75.00 and replace it in about another 8 years. But I did find a good use for them I tie them to a tree and when I'm going to hunt out of the blind I just kick them In the weeds and throw up the primos blind and when I'm done I just stand it back up and tie it back up . For me that is all they are good for are decoys so they get use to a blind being there I'm glad they work well for you

ohiowhitetails
08-09-2013, 11:20 PM
I also have an ameristep blind, I believe the bone collector model. Very nice blind, shoot thru mesh or you can take them out. hub system is quick to set up and take down. also came with a back pack to transport.

buckstalker17
08-09-2013, 11:28 PM
I also have an ameristep blind, I believe the bone collector model. Very nice blind, shoot thru mesh or you can take them out. hub system is quick to set up and take down. also came with a back pack to transport.

That is a good blind you can fit 2 adults side by side sitting in lounge chairs but them throw up dog house blinds no sir not this guy they won't get me a second time. Lol

mrbb
08-10-2013, 11:42 AM
Well I never said they were made for 2 people, but for just one person, there plenty big in my opinion lol

Big_Holla
08-11-2013, 10:28 AM

That's the kind my buddy has and it was big enough for him and I and my son for turkey hunting this year. Used it a couple years ago on whitetails with my son as well. Nice and comfy, just hate all the velcro on the window mesh. Make sure you set up your windows how you want them so you don't have to worry about the velcro and you'll be fine.

Other than that I would much rather make a ground blind out of a deadfall or up against a cluster of trees. Can't beat a natural spot that you just brush in a bit better.

zachc
08-16-2013, 01:16 AM
Does anyone know anything about the Field and Stream Magnum Hunter ground blind?

mrbb
08-16-2013, 12:48 PM
No not reqlly, but odds are its made by a brand name company and marketed under Field and stream, thinks Di=ks sporting stores carry them

zachc
08-17-2013, 11:42 PM
Well we'll found out how this field and stream magnum hunter ground blind works out. I traded my climber that's been sitting in my shed untouched for a couple years for a new one. It's a little smaller than I thought it was going to be but I think it will be pretty good for some deer killin'. Looks like a nice blind, now I just have to find a good spot to set it up.

00buck
08-19-2013, 01:15 AM
brush it in and practice from it

mrbb
08-19-2013, 10:32 AM
well not sure if you care to try this
but over the yrs I have found that mixing up some muddy water in a 5 gallon bucket
good and muddy, and then dumping it on the blind, helps a ton is getting rid of factory scent, and takes the shine off them too
as when the muddy water drys, it leaves a coating of dirt that sticks pretty good to the material, and takes thatshine of them, making them blend in a lot better
and always felt the dirt helps cover any scent too
just something to think about I guess

zachc
08-19-2013, 11:04 AM
Definitely going to brush it in, once I find out where exactly I want to put it. As far as the muddy water goes, I never thought about that. I might have to try it.