PDA

View Full Version : Last time mowing before season?

mneal
08-08-2013, 10:20 AM
I would really like to make one more cutting of my paths and feeding areas before season... but I am a little nervous about being in there as we get closer to the start of the season... Interested in your opinions on how late I can mow without potentially having a negative impact on my hunting. BTW... the deer use my paths... and I get much better pictures and can get in and out quietly during the season if I have a nice mowed path.

buckstalker17
08-08-2013, 12:34 PM
I mow mine till about 2 weeks before season opens I make sure I top off the feeders and just stay out till opening day most of the time if they don't feel threatened It won't really affect them alot don't stop and stair if they are out there just keep on going on mowing even after a while they will get use to you being there and doubt they would see you as a threat I see it a lot with the guys who check the oil wells where I hunt they pay zero attention to those guys. Deer are lazy animals they will almost always take the path of least resistance you keep your trails mowed and they will use them.

mrbb
08-08-2013, 12:45 PM
well if you been mowing them on a regular bais , I say you can mow as late as you want, as, by now deer should be conditioned to you doing so, and not take it as a threat
deer get used to being disturbed if it happens over and over from spring till now
and don't forget , deer prefer to eat new growth , after a cut, so cutting your actually making the food more attractive to them, and they should know this if you mowed a bunch of times
Mowing here actually will attract more deer a day after or so after I mow!

Big_Holla
08-08-2013, 02:35 PM
I prefer to mow the paths and even a couple bigger fields once per year, early in the year to keep the briars down and then let new weed growth come in. Many of the years we mowed reasonably close to deer season, say September, and it seemed like the deer used the trails much less and especially stayed out of the open fields. I think with the weeds coming in some they feel more comfortable and less in the open. We likely will not cut our paths again until next May or June.

BucksandBass
08-09-2013, 12:15 PM
You're in agricultural area and deer pay no attention to motors and farming activity. I've jumped deer close to fields I've been mowing for close to an hour. Watch the deer hunting t.v. shows and the guides will drive some guys right to the stand with trucks and four wheelers with deer showing up later. I think the short grass will be FAR more benefit than the sound will be a harm.

blackbeard
08-09-2013, 11:16 PM
Really depends on the amount of pressure there is, but if there is low pressure I'd mow them again and not think twice about it.

00buck
08-14-2013, 01:32 AM
i mow mine right up too the season but only the outside edge of fields and i mow it short about 3 weeks prior to the opener