PDA

View Full Version : Types of broad heads recommended?

Strother23
08-06-2013, 05:49 PM
I am thinking about changing up broad heads this year (2nd year). Just wanting to get everyone's opinion on fixed blade and mechanical broad heads. Does anyone have any favorites or a good story how a broad head worked good or bad.

Big_Holla
08-06-2013, 07:07 PM
Hear a lot of great things about Slick Trick's and Slick Trick Magnums for fixed. For mechanical I have used the G5 T3's and really like their performance. Those you need to tune though so they will open easily on impact. Haven't decided what to use this year. Thinking of getting a pack of the STMags to try this summer yet and go from there.

00buck
08-06-2013, 07:21 PM
4 years ago i was hunting out of my climber and wasnt feeling the best as the evening was running out i decided to start my decent because i had to umm #2 lowered my compound bow and started to climb down as I am climbing I look over the ridge and i see 2 mature deer getting ready to come over the ridge i quickly pulled up my bow and knocked an arrow these deer are about 22 yards well thats where i found the blood and hair anyways as they came over the hill i drew knowing they would break to the right and head down that trail well they where about 5 feet below me at 22 yards they caught me moving or something and the shot ended up being a quartering towards shot and i hit far back and exited out by the back leg i was using three blade rage broadheads at 100gr the buck traveled well over a mile and that was me driving my truck down the road to get it from the house but it expired and was a successful recovery but there are downfalls with these broadheads if you hit the ground with them (miss) and it is dry the blades need to be replaced but i they leave a good wound entry and exit but i have shot nap spitfire and have had good results out of a crossbow

mrbb
08-06-2013, 11:04 PM
well this is a question that is sure to get lots of personal experiences and a lot of info folks either read or just believe
a fixed head, , will cut very well, and the ONLY real advantage to ME, is that if you do not get a pass thru, the fixed head will keep maybe cutting as the animal walks/runs away
where as most mechanical heads , after they open, they close up very easy
the biggest advantage of a mechanical head is they tend to fly with a lot less issue as many fixed heads MIGHT have with your set up
all modern SHARP broadheads will kill if you put it where it needs to be, or hit something vital
I don't care what head you use, if you hit nin vital parts of a deer, its a 50/50 chance of finding it
there is no magic broadhead to ake up for poor hits
so the broadhead I recommend is the one you feel confident in and your set up shoots the best
keep blade sharp, and put them in the right place and its that easy!, that's the head to use!
one thing to consider, maybe(don't know your bow set up/draw weights)
is that many mechanical heads work better with 60 lb + draw weights, to allow enough KE to open well
but then again Larger cutting heads of all shapes fixed or mech, need more KE to get them to penitrate as well as they can!
some mech makers do sell lower KE heads , so something to maybe think about! remember indians killed deer with rocks on sticks(arrows)

00buck
08-07-2013, 12:37 AM
true mrbb i think if i put it where it needed to be it wouldnt have made a bit of difference what broad head i was using as long as it was sharp and i agree it is what ever you have confidence in and can put it where it needs to be

TrueGrit72
08-07-2013, 11:17 AM
I'm with Big_Holla on this I shoot slick tricks and love them. I have friends that have had multiple bad experiences with mech. Then again mrbb is right if the broadhead is sharp and you hit the deer in the killzone you will more than likely be fillin the freezer.

Alaskancoastie
08-08-2013, 08:35 AM
Hello:
I switched to Slick Trick 100 Mags 6 yrs ago and have had excellent success with them!!

ohiobowhunter78
08-28-2013, 07:42 AM
I personally shoot nap killzone they have done me very well. Any nap broadheads are great they are some of the sharpest heads on the market. Happy Hunting.

nomad_archer
08-28-2013, 08:50 AM
I've been using rage 3 blades and have never had an issue but I have only taken good shots. People are going to have issues with every broadhead out there if you look hard enough. Poor shots result in poor broadhead performance regardless of brand. For everything I have shot with a 3 blade rage has died within 50 yards thats my experience and at this point I have no reason to switch to anything else

Mightymet
09-02-2013, 04:21 PM
My first heads were NAP hellrazors. Very sharp and flew well. I switched to killzones last year and they did great. Very sharp and very simple. They left good entry and exit wound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)

bowtech3
09-03-2013, 07:37 PM
Rage...... 2 blade.. I shoot a lot of hogs and they work great......

Strother23
09-04-2013, 02:29 PM
Think I'm going to try the Grim Reaper Razortip broadheads this year

Mightymet
09-04-2013, 07:28 PM
Think I'm going to try the Grim Reaper Razortip broadheads this year

I have heard those are pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)

zachc
09-19-2013, 05:58 PM
I have tired a couple different brands but I found myself coming back to the muzzy fixed blades. Shot some cheaper mechanicals (not sure what brand) and didn't like them at all, that's been quite a few years age, sure technology has improved them by now. Also shot a couple different fixed blades but nothing compared to the muzzy's. Matter of fact I shot a doe a couple years ago and she broke off my arrow, I couldn't find the broadhead end. Well the next year I just happened to be walking through the same spot I shot her and found the end that I lost. The broadhead was still good a and sharp, just dirty for obvious reasons.

89trackerpro17
09-20-2013, 09:15 PM
I shoot rage 2 and 3 blades. But I agree all broadheads are good. The shot, and shot placement is the biggest thing.

Stickbowcrafter
09-26-2013, 11:32 AM
Rage gets mixed reviews but I have had good luck with them. I switched to the huge 2.3" wide Xtremes this year and can't wait to field test them.

-Brian

Flyerzfan10
12-01-2013, 10:36 PM
I've always used Thunderheads and have never had a problem. I had one friend use the new Rage this year with the plastic locking collar and it failed to break away when it passed through the deer. One blade opened and luckily still did the job.

tpjeep
12-12-2013, 09:27 AM
Slicktricks, and Simmons sharks for me, great flying heads for me

nomad_archer
12-13-2013, 12:10 PM
I use rage heads and they have worked well for me. I may try slick tricks next year just because

Strother23
12-13-2013, 06:38 PM
I use Grim Reaper broadheads. I have nothing but positive things to say. No o rings or bands. They fly just like my field points. No extra tuning. Great entrance and exit holes with easy blood trails. I also have slick trick magnums and I havnt killed anything with them but they fly a little low and left than my field points. Not sure why but they will require extra tuning for me to hunt with them this year. Looks mean tho

radicalxl
12-14-2013, 08:12 AM
Well guys, I have been bow hunting a long time. I can't say that I have used all of the broadheads out there but, I have tried many of them. Hands down, no doubt about it, Grim Reapers are the ones for me. For sure they are the most accurate. And never mind the blood trails, you don't need them when deer are laying in the biggest puddle of blood I have ever seen 30 yards away. I will totally agree that proper shot placement is the key. Doesn't common sense tell you use a broadhead that gives you the best chance at doing that?

nomad_archer
12-17-2013, 02:13 PM
To go back on what I said earlier. I think I will be sticking with my 3 blade rages as I am not 4-4 with them and havnt had a deer go more then 50 yards but most have gone 20-30.