PDA

View Full Version : SoyBean. just some questions

db4
07-29-2013, 08:35 PM
The property that I bow hunt is about 7 acres of woods surrounded by about 15 acres of soybean. I want to put something out in front of my cameras but don't want to use corn. Should I try using some of the minerals that you can buy in stores or should I try and find a farmer that sells soybean. I need some opinions. last year I had to many squirrels, birds, coons, coyotes, rabbits and what nots. I got tired of 200 pics of just stupid animals. So please any advice will help. thanks.

mrbb
07-29-2013, 09:23 PM
sorry, but anything deer eat, so does most other wildlife
so if you put out soybeans, , which is a poor feed, to be honest
you will attract the same critters as with corn, only less of them
as more turkeys and birds will eat raw soybeans, IF you can find them
Minerals, again will pull deer some what, but never like corn will, and all the mroe so once hunting season comes about, normally by Oct, deer don't crave minerals much
NOW the powdered so called deer attractant
I cannot say much, as I have NO personal experience with them
but again, I cannot see it working like corn would!

putting Good food out that deer likes will be the same as feeding most animals
there is NO magic food Just for deer
just enoy all the pic's, never know what you will see!
my 2 cents

00buck
07-29-2013, 11:22 PM
sorry, but anything deer eat, so does most other wildlife
so if you put out soybeans, , which is a poor feed, to be honest
you will attract the same critters as with corn, only less of them
as more turkeys and birds will eat raw soybeans, IF you can find them
Minerals, again will pull deer some what, but never like corn will, and all the mroe so once hunting season comes about, normally by Oct, deer don't crave minerals much
NOW the powdered so called deer attractant
I cannot say much, as I have NO personal experience with them
but again, I cannot see it working like corn would!

putting Good food out that deer likes will be the same as feeding most animals
there is NO magic food Just for deer
just enoy all the pic's, never know what you will see!
my 2 cents

i agree with you nothing like corn and almost everything a deer eats so will something else in the wild now i do but apple flavored corn from sportsmans den in shelby ohio and it seems to work well but i also feed apples to the deer

blackbeard
07-29-2013, 11:33 PM
If there are 15 acres of soybeans then I wouldn't put any of that out, corn or apples IMO

Big_Holla
07-30-2013, 08:01 AM
Yep, Blackbeard hit on the one thing I was going to suggest to keep the birds and squirrels down...apples if you can find them. Check old orchards, people's back yards, etc. but keep in mind you will have some coons, opossum and some other critters visiting them but not as bad as corn can be. The last few months has been the best time to have minerals out just for this purpose as well.

hortontoter
07-30-2013, 08:58 AM
I like minerals for herd inventory. I used to use a corn feeder, but found it makes my bucks nocturnal. No matter what I tried the squirrels and birds found ways to get to my spinner. So corn was always being dispersed on the ground. The deer came at night to eat what the birds and squirrels scattered during daylight. It never bothered me feeding all the wildlife though.

db4
07-30-2013, 10:13 AM
Well the reason i did not want to put corn out is i heard that it can confuse the deer. I did not think that that was at all true so i posted on here to get some opinions. I have a mineral lick out now and the last time i checked my camera about 2 weeks ago i had about 30 pics of deer and not a single one was over the tropy rock. d

Big_Holla
07-30-2013, 11:00 AM
Well the reason i did not want to put corn out is i heard that it can confuse the deer. I did not think that that was at all true so i posted on here to get some opinions. I have a mineral lick out now and the last time i checked my camera about 2 weeks ago i had about 30 pics of deer and not a single one was over the tropy rock. d

I have had that happen before as well with the TR. May want to try something else in your mineral location. TSC has bag trace mineral or even the mineral blocks you can try. Also highly recommend Monster RAXX, one of the best in my opinion.

mrbb
07-30-2013, 12:13 PM
Well its a known fact, not all deer crave a TR, up here in Pa at my hunting grounds, deer won't go near a TR, but yet the TSC mineral blocks, they hammer, get 1,000 + every 6-7 days over a TSC+mineral block
some times you have to try different products to see what Your deer like best
and I cannot believe corn could ever confuse deer, that crazy

db4
07-30-2013, 08:40 PM
I had a guy at work today give me a big bag of minerals it is called antler Alchemy. has anyone heard of it

mneal
07-31-2013, 08:59 AM
Apples and Pears are magic. The apple crop is incredible this year in SE Ohio.. I will start putting a few apples around my cameras next week and I have not had a night in the last two years where I did not get deer on film wiping them out. I have also noticed that bucks who are not that impressed with corn.. can not pass up a pile of apples.

blackbeard
08-01-2013, 12:57 AM
Apples and Pears are magic. The apple crop is incredible this year in SE Ohio.. I have also noticed that bucks who are not that impressed with corn.. can not pass up a pile of apples.

Exactly.......

db4
08-03-2013, 05:31 PM
I know that this is kind of a stupid question.... but what kid of apples are you putting out.

mrbb
08-03-2013, 09:07 PM
well I found any apple is a good apple
I tend to pick up apples off the ground where ever I can get them, many folks in my area have them in there yard, and they get in the way of cutting the grass, so they ley me pick them for free
deer eat green apple as fast as red one's
they don't seem to care

MICH
08-04-2013, 08:57 AM
Apples and Pears are magic. The apple crop is incredible this year in SE Ohio.. I will start putting a few apples around my cameras next week and I have not had a night in the last two years where I did not get deer on film wiping them out. I have also noticed that bucks who are not that impressed with corn.. can not pass up a pile of apples.
i think pears are the best thing to get deer on a camera NOW, pears ar just getting ripe here,but apples are the BEST thing i oct/nov, hands down. pics dont lie....but now, bean fields are great, mrbb will tell you that, my parents farm/section is all corn so we have 3 plots of beans that total 5 ac, 2 weeks ago we stopped putting garlic on them ( to keep them out, while growing ) and they are hammering them, thats where are bucks seem to be, deer will walk across a clover plot to to get to soybeans......nice to start back chatting again with you wise hunters, or hunters!!!!

db4
08-07-2013, 01:17 PM
well bad news. I finally had some decent deer and a good amount of doe on my camera and the guy kicks me off of his property. the other guy that hunts the same woods i do decided that he was going to shoot a deer about 30 yds from the mans back porch. so he said hit the road. and he posted it. so looks like i got to start at square one.

mrbb
08-07-2013, 01:38 PM
well that sucks
any chance of asking the land ownr if maybe down the road he changes his mind, letting you back
never hurts to ask

and well at least there is still time to look, could be worse if it happened mid season
Good luck