PDA

View Full Version : Ozonics scent elimination system.....really:(

blackbeard
07-27-2013, 03:07 AM
What will they think of next? $300 plus for a machine that emits ozone to cover your scent....WTH. I can already picture the typical deer 'hunter' in the year 2020......sitting in an enclosed polyurethane blind ($1500), at Illinois Megabuck Outfitters ($10,000 for a three day hunt), shooting a crossbow at speeds exceeding 400 f.p.s ($2000), wearing an antibacterial under layer with scent blocker suit on top ($400), an ozonics system mounted in the blind ($400), overlooking a corn feeder that holds a ton of corn ($1000), a scouting camera overlooking the corn ($750) which has sent photos directly to the 'hunter's' smart phone over the past several months so he knows exactly what time the gigantic monster mega buck will arrive to eat, and after he "smokes" the buck with a broad head which cuts a hole the size of a grapefruit ($100 for three heads) and fist pumps and high fives his cameraman (camera $2000) he pulls the newest gadget out of his backpack ($250) which resembles a robot and guts the deer for him ($750), then the hunter drives his mega off road vehicle with a V-8 engine ($10,000) from where the 'hunter' parked it 10 feet away from his blind right to the deer, uses his winch to load it ($400), and goes back to camp to edit the video for his TV show called "Smackdown MegaBuck Hunters" where the 'hunter' tells the story of the most difficult hunt of his life! And it only cost him $30 G. Boy the future of hunting looks bright doesn't it?

MICH
07-27-2013, 10:20 AM
LOL.......great insight @ 300 A.M.....BUT TRUE, i hope i can GET the seeds to try " the smoke ", almost did last fall.....very funny b.b.

blackbeard
07-28-2013, 12:09 AM
Me too, about ready to go that route as well, tired of all this scentlok, etc, smoke just seems more natural.

mrbb
07-28-2013, 01:46 AM
HAHAHA, let not forget about the 200 lbs of must have gear they will need to kill a deer too!
hunting isn't cheap now, or hasn't been in a long time
and like life, everything fun seems to come with a larger and larger price tag
Hate to say it but glad I am not a kid in this modern age
just plinking these days
is not cheap either, even with a .22
nor are all that many places you an shoot one if you have the coin
the future of hunting for the working man is for sure dying up in my eye's

sano888
07-28-2013, 11:16 AM
Very funny Blackbeard. I don't use scent control. Of course I don't hunt 1000 acre farms where deer never see people. The two places I hunt are used to human scent. Doesn't stop me from killing them. Last year I had two young bucks walk right under my stand, take a sniff, and slowly walk away. Doesn't mean I haven't seen deer catch my scent and change direction or spook. Hell when I started hunting I didn't even wear camo. Killed deer then as well.

Big_Holla
07-28-2013, 10:19 PM
Hilarious but oh so true!! Hey if it works, go for it! Just not my cup of tea that's for sure! Smoke works for me and its one of those KISS things that you don't have to lug around.

hortontoter
07-29-2013, 07:46 AM
It is called progress. Not that progress is always a good thing though.

I'm pretty old school, or so I thought.

Things I do use that are not so old school.

Propane heater in my blind
Blinds, both permanant box types and portables.
Trophy Rocks
Trail cameras (3)
A lawn tractor to drive part way to some of my stands and to retrieve deer.
A Scent Dripper (an experiment, that somewhat worked)
The computer for much of my scouting

Modern things I've never used

Scent elimination products (neither clothes, smoking up or sprays)
Calls of any type
Decoys
None of the latest, greatest crossbows, arrows or broadheads

blackbeard
07-29-2013, 10:13 PM
Yeah Horton, I wasn't making fun of box blind hunters, crossbow hunters, or anything like that, just mainly poking fun at how money is impacting hunting, how some of these gadgets are ridiculous, and what some people consider a tough hunt. I myself also use blinds, trophy rocks, a scouting camera, a compound bow, scentlok, etc.

Big_Holla
07-30-2013, 08:11 AM
The added contraption looks silly to see it hanging above hunters on some of the shows but there are plenty that swear by it as well. To each their own, I still get wacky looks when I try to explain the whole smoking up thing too. Get's to the point where I just say fugg it and keep it my own little secret LOL.

hortontoter
07-30-2013, 08:45 AM
BB, I didn't take it that you were making fun of anyones hunting tactics. I find it amusing the lengths we go to trying to take a deer we want.

I spent yesterday making "deer lanes" to try to filter deer where I want them to go. Someday I know my persistence will pay off.

Big_Holla
07-30-2013, 11:12 AM
BB, I didn't take it that you were making fun of anyones hunting tactics. I find it amusing the lengths we go to trying to take a deer we want.

I spent yesterday making "deer lanes" to try to filter deer where I want them to go. Someday I know my persistence will pay off.

Something else you can try is to clear an actual path you want the deer to use. I did just this at a couple of stand locations where I not only cleared the branches and all, I actually shuffled my feet and roughed up a path where I wanted them to use. To turn around and look back at it the path looked exactly like a very well used deer trail. Kind of an experiment in my book and I hope to see soon if it helped any.

mrbb
07-30-2013, 12:16 PM
I've done the path thing too over the yrs, even found it can be a great way to sneak in and out of a stand too
I tend to use a leaf blower, found going in mid day and making quicker work using one, just don't get too close to a bedding area

4arms
07-30-2013, 12:23 PM
I know that I have contributed to madness with some of the purchases I've made over the years. What I can't get past is how well the "scent elimination" products continue to sell. The major difference I see is how the material is woven together and as well as how quiet and comfortable they can be.

The trade rags tell us that a guy wearing a secent elimination suit can easily kill at 175" deer...come on, it has to be true.

Big_Holla
07-30-2013, 12:35 PM
I know that I have contributed to madness with some of the purchases I've made over the years. What I can't get past is how well the "scent elimination" products continue to sell. The major difference I see is how the material is woven together and as well as how quiet and comfortable they can be.

Some of the Scent Blocker/Scentlok clothing is some of the nicest out there for comfort and quietness. Just hate to spend so much $$ to put smoke to it!! LOL :sifone:

The trade rags tell us that a guy wearing a secent elimination suit can easily kill at 175" deer...come on, it has to be true.

C'mon 4arms.....everyone's shooting those 175" deer these days because of it!! Today's 175" is tomorrows 235" buck doncha know?!?! :117:

mrbb
07-30-2013, 06:47 PM
Well I still say a LOT of the so called carbon suits are way too cold, in winter hunts, carbon add zero insulation if you ask me, and , having it makes for even bulkier cold weather gear

C-CREEK
07-30-2013, 08:15 PM
What will they think of next? $300 plus for a machine that emits ozone to cover your scent....WTH. I can already picture the typical deer 'hunter' in the year 2020......sitting in an enclosed polyurethane blind ($1500), at Illinois Megabuck Outfitters ($10,000 for a three day hunt), shooting a crossbow at speeds exceeding 400 f.p.s ($2000), wearing an antibacterial under layer with scent blocker suit on top ($400), an ozonics system mounted in the blind ($400), overlooking a corn feeder that holds a ton of corn ($1000), a scouting camera overlooking the corn ($750) which has sent photos directly to the 'hunter's' smart phone over the past several months so he knows exactly what time the gigantic monster mega buck will arrive to eat, and after he "smokes" the buck with a broad head which cuts a hole the size of a grapefruit ($100 for three heads) and fist pumps and high fives his cameraman (camera $2000) he pulls the newest gadget out of his backpack ($250) which resembles a robot and guts the deer for him ($750), then the hunter drives his mega off road vehicle with a V-8 engine ($10,000) from where the 'hunter' parked it 10 feet away from his blind right to the deer, uses his winch to load it ($400), and goes back to camp to edit the video for his TV show called "Smackdown MegaBuck Hunters" where the 'hunter' tells the story of the most difficult hunt of his life! And it only cost him $30 G. Boy the future of hunting looks bright doesn't it?

This literally made me LOL... I have to imagine when asked by these companies to use some of these products (especially ozonics), the professional hunters have to say "this is ridiculous, i know this stuff won't work"... i'm sure that soon subsides once their check comes in the mail though.

blackbeard
07-30-2013, 09:52 PM
I find scentlok clothing to be top quality so even it doesn't control my scent I would wear it.

mneal
07-31-2013, 08:50 AM
I too am amazed at the onslaught of new products... and after being on a hunt where filming was done for a television show I will not name... I am ruined on watching outdoor television. I witnessed several "cut-ins" where sponsors products were made to look like they were in use. The reality is that the use of these devices only occurred before and after the actual hunt in video. This even includes the bow used for the kill shot, the clothing, a change in footwear to help market the footage to numerous sponsors, and watching these guys film multiple scenes of them spraying their clothing with multiple scent killing products from multiple manufacturers just to get it on film. What impacted me the most was that they referred to the business as "The Industry". I was ashamed at myself for actually believing what I saw on television after seeing how it really works.

Big_Holla
07-31-2013, 09:51 AM
I too am amazed at the onslaught of new products... and after being on a hunt where filming was done for a television show I will not name... I am ruined on watching outdoor television. I witnessed several "cut-ins" where sponsors products were made to look like they were in use. The reality is that the use of these devices only occurred before and after the actual hunt in video. This even includes the bow used for the kill shot, the clothing, a change in footwear to help market the footage to numerous sponsors, and watching these guys film multiple scenes of them spraying their clothing with multiple scent killing products from multiple manufacturers just to get it on film. What impacted me the most was that they referred to the business as "The Industry". I was ashamed at myself for actually believing what I saw on television after seeing how it really works.

Very interesting observations mneal! I can't say I am surprised either. From everything from trail cameras, to scent proof clothing, to treestands, etc. I can see a ton of add in's either because the outfitter they used had things already in place or they forgot to do something during their hunt. Have heard many accounts of show personalities actually using the smoke method....even though the clothing they smoked up was name brand carbon outfits. What a shame... :smash:

blackbeard
08-01-2013, 12:54 AM

Very interesting.

00buck
08-02-2013, 01:15 PM
and thats how they kill the deer after talking while the deer is walking towards stand like the deer cant hear or see them moving around

blackbeard
08-07-2013, 12:44 AM
If I ever experience a hunter using a leaf blower again in the woods I may send an arrow their way.....actually saw it happen once, all evening I watched and heard it, and just shook my head.

mrbb
08-07-2013, 01:00 AM
If I ever experience a hunter using a leaf blower again in the woods I may send an arrow their way.....actually saw it happen once, all evening I watched and heard it, and just shook my head.
well I have done it many times over the yrs, and killed many a deer due to doing so
I ONLY do it on private lands , I am in and out in a few minutes
, and do it only mid day, normally before the season starts too
so I still see no problem

blackbeard
08-08-2013, 12:26 AM
I understand that. I saw/heard a hunter doing it one time on private land that he didn't have permission to hunt and he was doing it in the evening.....landowner didn't live nearby so there was no way to contact them other than by mail for permission so not much I could do, just remember wanting to jump out of the stand at the guy.

mrbb
08-08-2013, 01:15 AM
I understand that. I saw/heard a hunter doing it one time on private land that he didn't have permission to hunt and he was doing it in the evening.....landowner didn't live nearby so there was no way to contact them other than by mail for permission so not much I could do, just remember wanting to jump out of the stand at the guy.

well in that case it would piss me off too
thats like all the dam trespassers I get that like to walk in at last light on me up a tree, and by the time I climb down they run, and all I end up doing is ruining my hunt
I wish it was legal to shoot trespassers, I'd collect a bunch of boots every yr, if I could ,
I know that !
But Clearing a path can be a BIG help in getting in and out of a stand
if done at right time, and way
biggest draw back is many times deer use it too well, and can sneak in on you and catch you off guard!