PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Lorain County!

Bow4
07-21-2013, 12:43 AM
Hey all...really surprised the username Bow wasn't in use lol. I am completely brand new to bows, hunting, bow hunting...Ive always been interested in bows but never got into. I have a few knowledgeable friends helping me along as I get started. I know its a large monetary investment to start. I've been looking at a lot of bows but have yet to shoot anything yet. Anyone have any tips as far as what to look for in buying a bow, arrows, broad heads? Really just looking for anything helpful at this point lol...thats why I came here. Looking forward to getting to know and learning from everyone.

teej89
07-21-2013, 09:49 PM
If you're just talking about bow equipment... Wasn't sure if you meant EVERYTHING involved in bow hunting. Then I guess my opinion as far as broad heads go get slick tricks, don't get expandables. Being new to bow hunting the last thing you want to do is hit a deer in the shoulder and with slicks you'll probably get enough penetration to make it fatal however with the majority of expandables you're screwed. As far as a bow goes... You don't need anything technical right now. I shot the same $300 bow from 13-23 and killed many of deer with it. And recently i just passed it down to my brother in law and bought a new one this spring.

I'm not too familiar with "starter" bows but if you were to ask me I'd say go PSE or Fred bear. Depends what your price range is. Best thing to do is go to a local shop and shoot EVERYTHING in your price range. Focus on how smooth the bow draws back. How it feels at full draw and then finally the quietness of the bow. I dunno how big you are but as a starter bow don't overdue it with the draw weight. I shot 50lbs till this spring I went to 70. But at 50 I've put an arrow thru a deers shoulder at 25 yds with a 100gr 4 blade muzzy broad head.

You can PM me if you want some more info.

frmrfred
07-26-2013, 04:01 PM
Welcome to the site. Enjoy all the good reading!

Big_Holla
07-26-2013, 09:58 PM
Great to have you join us! Best advice I can give goes along with the others in that you will need to do some research on costs of the equipment and decide how much you are willing to spend. Once you have that then your search should begin at a reputable bow shop, some may recommend here based on where you live, and shoot all brands they carry that fit you. Shoot as many as you can and hopefully they can help you decide without pressure to buy one particular model. You can also see what brands and models they carry and ask here if any have experience with them.

mrbb
07-26-2013, 10:44 PM
well welcome to the site and to the bow hunting/shooting world
its a great sport
as for advice, like others said, shoot as many bows as you can
BUT FIRST, get to a pro shop and have them measure you, to try to fit you to a bow
get your draw lenght sized up, and ONLY shoot bows set up to that length
or you will NOT feel the benefits of a bow set up to fit you, no matter the name brand or price range
the best bow to buy these days is the one that fits you best and feels the best in YOUR hands
dodn't get caugth up in the hype about needing the latest and greatest
as for broadheads
well I won't knock a good fixed head, but these days theer are tons of great expandable heads out there too
only reason , so many folks use expandables these days si, its a LOT less work to get them to fly straight/like your target heads
many fixed broadheads, need a bow in tune and set up to match them to make them fly great
either one in a non vital place will leave a deer lost
either one in a vital area will result in a dead deer 99% of the time
also, don't get the idea you need a 70+ lb draw weight to kill deer
anything over 45 lbs is fine, as long as you keep shots under 50 yrs(heck the idea of bow hunting is to get close, many bow hunters draw the line at 40 yrds or less)
get to a good bow shop, ask for them to either help you get started or even maybe recommend an archery club(advantage is they have targets there, so you don't HAVE to buy your own, or have to find a safe place to shoot then, and many great guys hang out there that would most likely take you under there wing to help you, but be wise, that not all bow hunters will tell you correct/accurate info, many will just tell you what THEY DO)
the most important thing in bow hunting is PRACTICE Ppractice practice, and more practice
it helps train you to shoot well, and keep your form correct every time you shoot!
and last, Have FUN
geed luck