PDA

View Full Version : Vibration??? Accessories???

Cheif
07-16-2013, 11:42 AM
I want my bow to be as silent as possible much like any other hunter. But it seems like my bow (PSE Stinger 2012 model) doesn't make that sweet sound that most bows make in the shop when the arrow is released. I have a couple of monkey tails on my string and the bow came with some limb bands. I have heard of bow jax are good for silencing your bow. I just need to slow down the vibration as well as silence the sound. Any Suggestions????

mrbb
07-16-2013, 12:57 PM
just read an article where they tested all the different products, from string to limb noise vibration items
from start to finish, the most they could drop noise was like 3 DB, and vibrations, well, again a small amount!
so to be honest, there is very small gains in all them items in my book
I will look for the mag/atricle and post later

it all can help, but there no magic item to make it quiet, and vibration free!

Big_Holla
07-16-2013, 01:56 PM
Bow Jax is one of the newer one's out there intended to reduce sound and vibration. Others include Fuse and Limbsaver. I'm sure there are more but in a nut shell those 3 seem to be the bigger names. Like mrbb said, the vibration is the hardest one to kill. Perhaps you have a local archery shop that has different accessories to try, especially stabilizers? The one I go to up here allows you to install some things such as stabilizers and give them a shot. Other than that it if it is something that really bothers you and nothing seems to help it may be time for an upgrade for your bow.

buckstalker17
07-16-2013, 02:44 PM
I sure wish I could help you out with your questions I have a few ideas for you to try but I will pm them to ya here in a bit. I don't want another one of your post hijacked because some trickster want to contradict every thing I say.

buckstalker17
07-16-2013, 08:33 PM
well here it is at least till you get hijacked when first started shooting i had a hoyt iwas in the same boat as you after messing around with it i found that the bow really wasnt the problem it was the bolt ons ie sights, rest, quiver ,stabilizer so what i did was cut a old bike tube into a small square just a little smaller than the base of my sights mount put it between the mount and the bow and retightened the sight , then went to the hardware store and bought some plastic washers put them between the stabilizer and the bow and the same with the quiver put some limb savers on the bow and i would say it cut down the noise by 60%just by cutting down on the metal to metal contact

hortontoter
07-16-2013, 10:18 PM
At least the site finally got comical.

mrbb
07-16-2013, 11:34 PM
well I cannot find the mag I read it in, must have tossed it
But again, some bows are put together with less than stellar parts I am sure, same with parts
but anything can help a little, but in the test they did, they measured, the bow stock, bare, then added parts and removed parts and I was very suprised to see how little the things they tested did
YES they did lower it some, but for the costs of the items, it to me was very small amounts
I personally think, we as humans, buy gimmic's and some times, we feel in our minds its doing more than it really is
But again, confidence in gear is a huge part of being successful, so its all good to me if a person is happy
and I have to believe it has maybe moe to do with how loud or heavy the vibs are to start with
BUT over all, speed of sound is still WAY faster than any bow on the market
so as whisper quiet you think your bow is, a deer will always hear it coming if there alert!, and many that are not too LOl
much of a bow's sounds and vibs are in the shooters ears, and hands,
and from one guy to the next on same bow, you will get different opinions too!
and I am again NOT bashing the things that can help tame them, just saying, in real world tests, the amounts they do, is very small! overall, so spend your $$ wisely!

gonehunting 45
07-17-2013, 03:18 PM
Another thing to consider is the arrow weight. A heavier arrow will absorb more energy upon release of the string. A lighter arrow the energy will go to the limbs and riser. Not sure how much of addifference, but I would think it would be noticeable. My 2 cents worth....lol

Big_Holla
07-18-2013, 08:41 AM
Another thing to consider is the arrow weight. A heavier arrow will absorb more energy upon release of the string. A lighter arrow the energy will go to the limbs and riser. Not sure how much of addifference, but I would think it would be noticeable. My 2 cents worth....lol

Excellent point gonehunting45!! Also keep in mind that a heavier arrow doesn't necessarily mean a stiffer arrow either. Adding weight to your arrow by either going to a heavier point or insert can accomplish this as well.

ohiowhitetails
07-18-2013, 05:45 PM
mrbb nailed it, all bows aren't created equal. sure I have small noise/ vibration dampeners on, but I believe a quality bow is the best start.

Big_Holla
07-18-2013, 06:19 PM
mrbb nailed it, all bows aren't created equal. sure I have small noise/ vibration dampeners on, but I believe a quality bow is the best start.

Good point!!

offtheground
07-18-2013, 09:43 PM
Who has had a deer jump the string in the last couple years with a modern bow? I can't see it guys! You must read the game and know when to shoot. If you are shooting a bow that send an arrow 280 fps and you have bow noise whats is going to happen?

Big_Holla
07-19-2013, 08:23 AM
I do agree the newer bows these days help cut the ducking of the arrow down some but many TV shows still show footage where they draw a line at the base of the chest and by the time the arrow goes by the top of the back goes below the line. So it does still happen. I would say in the majority of instances though it was an alert deer or it was dead silent. That's also why many recommend shooting at the lower 1/3 or hold low on a deer because of it.

mrbb
07-19-2013, 08:54 AM
well newer bow or not, the speed of sound is still 1200 fps, and a bow at 280 fps, is still many times slower than the speed of sound, thus a deer can hear the release and it coming , if its alert enough or fast enough to react, and any can and do! its why its still mentioned like it is all over the place!
and yes in the past 5 yrs I have personally had a calm deer duck an arrow on me, and it was at just 20 yrds,never thought it would, but it did, simply amazing how a deer can do that!
over the 30+ yrs of bow hunting I have had about 8 deer duck/drop at the sound of a arrow being released, some had even complete misses, a few bad hits, and some still managed to get lucky and hit vitals and recover
and I have over 50 kills with a bow, so no rookie here
some times it just happens, some deer are just way more in tune I guess