PDA

View Full Version : Novice Whitetail Bowhunter whacks Bear in Canada... had to share... what a trip!

mneal
07-15-2013, 10:45 AM
I recently returned from a bear hunt at Peribonka Lake in Quebec where I put a kill shot on a boar at 21 yds the first night in the stand. What a thrill for a bow hunter who has only taken a handful of deer with his bow. Surprisingly, I was more calm shooting this bear than I have been on any deer to date. I used the new Rage Hypodermic Broadhead and WoW!!! He went about 40 yds, and I heard the death rattle from my tree stand. Hats off to Bucky Adams Outdoors and the Peribonka Lodge. 4 of the 5 guys that went killed nice bears.. the biggest a 357 lb beast. The last guy had multiple opportunities but was holding out for the perfect bear.

Harvested June 24, 2013 10213

mrbb
07-15-2013, 11:41 AM
well congrats on a fine bear, sounds like you all had a great time
Have to ask, how bad were the black fly's and other bugs?
I know they can be wild up there this time of yr!
also, did they age your bear? did you save the skull?
I know here in PA, if you kill a bear the state game dept will take a tooth and give you some detailed history on the bear/ age and possible past yrs info(if they ever trapped it, they collect DNA, and keep records)
have to think they would for a fee age a tooth for you too, if that interest you or not?
I know they will age a deer for I think 30 bucks here in PA!, not sure on price of a bear but has to be about the same I gather!

hortontoter
07-15-2013, 11:45 AM
Congrats on a good looking bear. A great way to stretch your hunting season.

Big_Holla
07-15-2013, 12:05 PM
Excellent job!! Even better you got to experience it all using a bow!!

mneal
07-15-2013, 02:39 PM
The outfitter estimated the bear to be six years old based on the teeth and skull. The black flies and mosquitoes were ungodly!! I am still recovering from the multiple bites on my ankles and the back of my neck. We looked like a leper colony on the trip home. having said all of that... I would do it again in an instant!

Big_Holla
07-15-2013, 03:06 PM
That's great you would go back in an instant, says a lot for the outfitter as well!! The year I went to Saskatchewan we went prepared for all the mosquitoes and black flies but hardly had a problem. Think we hit it right with the time of the season and the weather. Sure would love to make a trip like that again!! Thanks for the inspiration to get me thinking of going again mneal!!

buckmaster1100
07-19-2013, 01:22 PM
Congrats on the bear I have been numerous times to Canada bear hunting and it's alway exciting. The bears in Canada are a little more aggressive than the ones I hunt in Virginia.