PDA

View Full Version : new bowstring new problems

Whitetail Freak
07-12-2013, 01:16 PM
Hear is my problem ......i had my string replaced with one of them pre streched custom strings before i had string changed my bow was dead on out to 50yrds and i know that a new string withh change my pins a little but now that i have new string on the bow i cant hold a group past 20yards . At 30yrds my groups are 8india and right by 6 in . And lets not talk about 40yrds . Whats going onbthey said they retuned my bow and it should be shooti g fine help me fix this problem guys pls i wanna start shooting more n more but idk how to fix my problem . I know i can shoot i have pics of my groups with mynold string iam to embaressed to take pics of groups with new string thanks for any help ya can give

Mike F
07-12-2013, 02:27 PM
Have you re-tuned it? A new string will change a lot of things. If you keep having problems, then just put your old string back on.

Big_Holla
07-12-2013, 02:30 PM
Maybe along the lines of what Mike said with tuning, perhaps your nock point is too low/too high causing fletching contact?

mrbb
07-12-2013, 07:09 PM
OK I agree with a propper tuning of the bow now aftyer the new string change, paper tune it
and I will also add, get the draw weight checked on it, if your old string was well stretched, making it longer, even if in tune, adding a new propper weight can add LBS to the draw weight, and the extra weight could be causing your to have impropper form, thus making your groups open up
I would also go over the whole bow and make sure nothing is loose, and last, check the nocking point on the string, measure it even, make sure its not a LOT thicker, causing the arrows to leave funny, a too tight nock on the string can cause it to fly funny, thus opening up your groups

Whitetail Freak
07-13-2013, 01:33 AM
Mike my old string was well wore.out it has streched over an inch and was frayed i didnt trust it anymore. The pro shop said they re tuned my bow and paper tuned it after the new string was put on my 20yrd pin id dead nutts now i went thru n started re sighting all my pins in and had to move my sight to the right to compensate for the windage but now iam shooting better groups hope tom to dial my 30 n 40 yrd pins in and work on my 50 pin on sun before i have to go to work ill keep yall posted . Wish i knew how to post pics id show ya my new string its blk n orange . I think my peep is a little higher than my last one also but iam gettin used to the new nock point on my bottom jaw so idk lol keep yall posted ill send Seeker a pic of my string n see if he can post it for me . Jammie at Strasburg outdoors made the string for me ty for all the info guys i did chexk all the bolts screws n nutts all were tight

mrbb
07-13-2013, 01:53 AM
well good to hear your happy now, but to be honest, I would still take a paper shot or two
every bow shop, that claimed to have papertuned a bow???
not saying they didn't, but never hurts to double check
these days, folks in business, don't always do what they say, sadly!
Just saaying! wouldn't be the first time a bow shop lied LOL
and a different nock point, will change your form, so that could be why the gropus opened up right there! Form is so important in accuracy in all weapons!

Mike F
07-13-2013, 06:05 AM
I don't know how some of these proshops can sleep at night!!!!! Some body else can't tune your bow, you have to do it. They don't put their hand in the grip the same, might not be the same release, way to many differences between people and shooting styles for someone else to be tuning your bow. And like mrbb said, if they did anything at all.

Big_Holla
07-13-2013, 08:16 AM
I don't know how some of these proshops can sleep at night!!!!! Some body else can't tune your bow, you have to do it. They don't put their hand in the grip the same, might not be the same release, way to many differences between people and shooting styles for someone else to be tuning your bow. And like mrbb said, if they did anything at all.

I think you nailed it Mike, after all I have never heard of them tying in a peep without aligning it to the shooter.....

I think my peep is a little higher than my last one also but iam gettin used to the new nock point on my bottom jaw so idk lol keep yall posted

Whitetail Freak
07-13-2013, 02:26 PM
Mike .....i honestly dont know how to paper tune if i come visit ya could ya show n teach me pls ? Id like to learn but i learn better by someone showing me hands on vs say like youtube let me know bud . Ty

Mike F
07-13-2013, 02:45 PM
I could help with that, but it would have to be an evening during the week. This winery keeps me busy all weekend.
I would also think some up your way could help too.

SKO
07-15-2013, 07:00 AM

Im not sure this a fair assessment. The shop can remove all variables besides the shooter. If the shop cam paper tune it then the shooter has some major form issues that need work. If his old string stretched that much there is a good chance when the shop put it back to build spec. If the shooter has a bow way out of spec and likes it that way then he needs to tell the shop that is what he wants. If he said here is my bow i want new threads then the shop did his job. Its easy to set a peep also especially if you have the old string.

Big_Holla
07-15-2013, 08:24 AM
Could be true as well SKO. The pro shop I go to they will not set a peep unless you are there to line it up and make sure it's where you want it. That was true when I had my new string installed anyways. I do agree with Mike on paper tuning, that it should only be done by the bow shooter and not just the staff there. Well, at least before you leave anyways. I can see them checking it on their own but like Mike said there are too many variables from one shooter to another. I guess it was up to Whitetail Freak to ask and to double check it before leaving but often we all take a person's word for it and trust. Perhaps nothing is even wrong with the paper tuning that they did, there are still other things too that WF can learn to help finalize his tune, all of which he should be able to consult the pro shop for help in doing so.

buckstalker17
07-15-2013, 11:07 AM
Im not sure this a fair assessment. The shop can remove all variables besides the shooter. If the shop cam paper tune it then the shooter has some major form issues that need work. If his old string stretched that much there is a good chance when the shop put it back to build spec. If the shooter has a bow way out of spec and likes it that way then he needs to tell the shop that is what he wants. If he said here is my bow i want new threads then the shop did his job. Its easy to set a peep also especially if you have the old string.

The thought that any proshop can set a bow up and tune it and say its good to go is just ludicrous there is no two human beings on the planet are the same so to say you can set my peep and my nock and be spot on would not be even possible you don't no where the shooter anchors , you don't know the distance from his anchor to his eye so there is No way they can do it if they had any amount of common since they would no that , then say if there is anything wrong its the shooters form that's just wrong. But I will say this I would bet money that I can prove that nonsense isn't true. I will let any proshop set a bow the way they want and then I will have them set it to fit me I would be willing to bet 100.00 a shot that my set up will out shoot there's this is not a personal attack on you my friend just stating a fact. And if someone doesn't be leave I'm rt them they can prove me wrong

buckstalker17
07-15-2013, 11:47 AM
Mike .....i honestly dont know how to paper tune if i come visit ya could ya show n teach me pls ? Id like to learn but i learn better by someone showing me hands on vs say like youtube let me know bud . Ty

W/f I'm free this weekend if you want me to show you I've had many people and even a few on here help me learn to shoot and tune my bow so it's time for me to pay it forward then you can show someone else. Just let me know And yes mike that was a free plug for mike f and Bryce. Lol.

mrbb
07-15-2013, 11:52 AM
HAHAHA
well folks I think we all agree, most bow/pro shops, tend to make claims that???
well I guess the way they see it is, most folks are happy with what ever they give them, sad but true
I know when I had the gun store, I used to offer bore sighting with a scope sale, and or, for a fee would actually take the gun out and shoot it with what ever ammo they planned to use
and 75%, make that 90 + % of folks , again, sadly, were happy with just me bore sighting the scope, and trust me many times that doesn't even mean hitting the target!)
and going right out and hunting with it?
It never made any sense to me, and lets not mention safety factor, but , just look at the amount of folks on this site in off season? die hards are a small percentage of the hunters/shooters in the sport folks!
there are more hunters out there that are happy with, CLOSE ENOUGH< set ups, that bow shops in my eye's leave it to the customers, that know, to ask for personal set ups while there there/before they leave with a bow
and honestly, I think many of the shooters that know better, well, tend to do the set up's themselve's
thus again, why so many bow/gun shops, don't bother pushing the issue about going beyond there plain Jane set ups they do when they put a bow together or give a customer his bow back!
the sad but true world we live is, the days of a business making sure a customer has the best,
are more or less far gone!
we live in a good enough world anymore, and if you want better, then they expect you to pay more for quality service, on items you buy!

Mike F
07-15-2013, 04:00 PM

Would you trust someone else a 100%, to tune your bow without double checking things? Who's to say the guy in the shop isn't the one with the messed up form? I'm just saying to double check things.

buckstalker17
07-15-2013, 05:18 PM
Would you trust someone else a 100%, to tune your bow without double checking things? Who's to say the guy in the shop isn't the one with the messed up form? I'm just saying to double check things.

Man there is no like post button to push dang it. Like. like.

SKO
07-15-2013, 05:36 PM

So your saying that the person in the proshop knows how to tune a bow but not how to shoot one..hmm that a new one but i suppose its possible.

SKO
07-15-2013, 05:41 PM
The thought that any proshop can set a bow up and tune it and say its good to go is just ludicrous there is no two human beings on the planet are the same so to say you can set my peep and my nock and be spot on would not be even possible you don't no where the shooter anchors , you don't know the distance from his anchor to his eye so there is No way they can do it if they had any amount of common since they would no that , then say if there is anything wrong its the shooters form that's just wrong. But I will say this I would bet money that I can prove that nonsense isn't true. I will let any proshop set a bow the way they want and then I will have them set it to fit me I would be willing to bet 100.00 a shot that my set up will out shoot there's this is not a personal attack on you my friend just stating a fact. And if someone doesn't be leave I'm rt them they can prove me wrong

This post is not worthy of a response.

Mike F
07-15-2013, 06:33 PM
So your saying that the person in the proshop knows how to tune a bow but not how to shoot one..hmm that a new one but i suppose its possible.

Who said that they even know how to tune them.
A friend just brought over his wifes new bow, that came from a "proshop", when it broke over the first time and then again an inch further into the draw. It was so far outa time it wasn't funny.
I worked for two different manufactors of bows, had my own proshop for a number of years, and shot professionally for about 10 years. I had to deal with dealers and their proshop pro's, so I know what's out there. Not that they are all bad, but there's more bad then good. Seeing how you took my remark about somebody tuning someone elses bow, I guess that what you do for a living. Sorry if I stepped on your toes.

buckstalker17
07-15-2013, 06:40 PM
This post is not worthy of a response.

Yea kinna what I thought. You want to argue your theory that's has no logic to it at all then get upset when nobody buys it SMH !!!! take that crap to another site and say the same thing and they will crucify You to Lol there a lot of guys working in bow shops that have no business working on anything at all point blank period. Good day sir.

SKO
07-15-2013, 06:54 PM
Yea kinna what I thought. You want to argue your theory that's has no logic to it at all then get upset when nobody buys it SMH !!!! take that crap to another site and say the same thing and they will crucify You to Lol there a lot of guys working in bow shops that have no business working on anything at all point blank period. Good day sir.
Actually instead of wasting my time arguing with an internet bad azz i pm'd the op offering to help him get straightened out. there are many people who send their bow the mike carter for a tune and set up, probably thousands and he has a waiting list..yep cant be done..amazing

buckstalker17
07-15-2013, 07:05 PM
Actually instead of wasting my time arguing with an internet bad azz i pm'd the op offering to help him get straightened out. there are many people who send their bow the mike carter for a tune and set up, probably thousands and he has a waiting list..yep cant be done..amazing

i did the same thing im not a keyboard tough guy you just can't stand that nobody agrees with you but i understand way you joined now!!!!!! I'm not in need of any services at this time

SKO
07-15-2013, 07:16 PM
i did the same thing im not a keyboard tough guy you just can't stand that nobody agrees with you but i understand way you joined now!!!!!! I'm not in need of any services at this time

I dont need a majority of an uninformed opinion to prove anything. Not that it matters but i will let you know that on drop away rests, I does not not matter where the cock "vein" or vane is at..just sayin chumly..thats the entiee point of a drop away rest derr..

buckstalker17
07-15-2013, 07:26 PM
I dont need a majority of an uninformed opinion to prove anything. Not that it matters but i will let you know that on drop away rests, I does not not matter where the cock "vein" or vane is at..just sayin chumly..thats the entiee point of a drop away rest derr.. hahahahahahahahahhaha NOBODY WAS ARGUEING THAT AND SO YOU ARE INFORMED THE DROP AWAY REST WAS DESIGNED SO THAT WHEN THE ARROW IS RELEASED IT HAS NO CONTACT WITH THE REST THAT IS WHAT THE ENTIRE POINT IT IS FOR SO YOU KNOW CHUMLY THERE SELLING WAS NOT SO IT DONT MATTER WHERE YOUR VEINS ARE NOCKED

SKO
07-15-2013, 07:50 PM
hahahahahahahahahhaha NOBODY WAS ARGUEING THAT AND SO YOU ARE INFORMED THE DROP AWAY REST WAS DESIGNED SO THAT WHEN THE ARROW IS RELEASED IT HAS NO CONTACT WITH THE REST THAT IS WHAT THE ENTIRE POINT IT IS FOR SO YOU KNOW CHUMLY THERE SELLING WAS NOT SO IT DONT MATTER WHERE YOUR VEINS ARE NOCKED

Its vane..

buckstalker17
07-15-2013, 08:00 PM
Its vane.. OPPS MY BAD YOUR RT ABOUT THAT ,AND THATS IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banghead:

SKO
07-15-2013, 09:41 PM
http://tatersarcherysolutions.weebly.com

Cant be done ...you may want to email him and tell him he is hosing people.

SKO
07-15-2013, 09:43 PM
https://cartersarchery.net/

Dang another one with a 3 month wait list..son of a ...how can this be?

SKO
07-15-2013, 09:48 PM
http://parknsonsarchery.com/category/custom-bow-strings/

This is just plain crazy...its like shamwow archery infomercial..cannot be done no way no how...

SKO
07-15-2013, 09:51 PM
http://www.bowxperts.com/supertune.htm

Okay the madness has to stop somewhere...how in the world are there 4 places the offer an impossible service. Now what?

buckstalker17
07-15-2013, 09:56 PM
Boring next post you still have proved nothing. We have figured out you can post a link and my spelling is not on point and you have no idea why the dropaway rest was designed for but not more than that Sad world we live in people joining sites to try and get someone to buy what they selling and have no proof to his theory just so guy on a website or apro shop says he can. why don't you just signup as site sponsor then that way everyone will know why you are really doing on here.and by the way never herd of any of them people and can still promise I don't care who they are I'm not going to ever I mean never going to trust someone to set up my equipment and me not be there do you get it never. That's why I do my own its easy as putting the dog out side and like mike said you don't know who you are dealing with. Just cause there some guys name on a plaque on the wall don't mean nota thing to me.

Big_Holla
07-16-2013, 03:57 PM
So, not to take sides or anything on this but to rather try to educate, tuning to me has always involved the bow owner. Any time in the past when I have been at an archery shop I was always the shooter and the staff would make the adjustments. As I learned more I relied less on the pro-shop to help me with my tuning over the years and did it mostly myself. Now by no means am I an expert and for the record I wouldn't let anyone trust me to tune their bow.

However I am reading more (esp. today) and more about having shops such as what SKO mentioned do the actual tuning of the bow without the bow owner even being present. When I was looking at used bows over on ArcheryTalk a few months back I kept running across people saying 'professionally tuned by so & so'. I never gave it much thought until today and I did a bit more searching and found several guys there who do just this. Now I understand why SKO put up links to 4 different places that weren't even in Ohio, let alone be nearby where WhitetailFreak lives.

After talking with another friend over on another forum his explanation was basically that a bow is a piece of equipment and that 95% of the tuning has nothing to do with the shooter themselves. I guess I can see that point as well. Depending on the proficiency of the person doing the tuning perhaps this has become the acceptable way to have a bow tuned these days. The key is whether the person doing it knows what they are doing and not just a newbie that read something on-line.

The other things such as peep alignment and draw lengths, etc. still require the shooter to be there IMO. Even if the old string can be measured for peep location it still should be re-aligned to the shooter simply because the old string was likely stretched and the anchor point might be a little bit different. I know that first hand with my last string being installed. Other things to consider with having the shooter present, the pro-shop person (again provided they know what they are doing) can then review their form, grip, anchor, etc. for flaws.

It's a learning process that's for sure. One shop I would never go back to couldn't even fletch my arrows correctly. One I do go back to I trust, but they also put the bow in my hands. Hard to say what is right or wrong but we should never stop learning and sometimes we have to trust people that know what they are doing.

Mike F
07-16-2013, 04:30 PM
So, not to take sides or anything on this but to rather try to educate, tuning to me has always involved the bow owner. Any time in the past when I have been at an archery shop I was always the shooter and the staff would make the adjustments. As I learned more I relied less on the pro-shop to help me with my tuning over the years and did it mostly myself. Now by no means am I an expert and for the record I wouldn't let anyone trust me to tune their bow.

However I am reading more (esp. today) and more about having shops such as what SKO mentioned do the actual tuning of the bow without the bow owner even being present. When I was looking at used bows over on ArcheryTalk a few months back I kept running across people saying 'professionally tuned by so & so'. I never gave it much thought until today and I did a bit more searching and found several guys there who do just this. Now I understand why SKO put up links to 4 different places that weren't even in Ohio, let alone be nearby where WhitetailFreak lives.

After talking with another friend over on another forum his explanation was basically that a bow is a piece of equipment and that 95% of the tuning has nothing to do with the shooter themselves. I guess I can see that point as well. Depending on the proficiency of the person doing the tuning perhaps this has become the acceptable way to have a bow tuned these days. The key is whether the person doing it knows what they are doing and not just a newbie that read something on-line.

The other things such as peep alignment and draw lengths, etc. still require the shooter to be there IMO. Even if the old string can be measured for peep location it still should be re-aligned to the shooter simply because the old string was likely stretched and the anchor point might be a little bit different. I know that first hand with my last string being installed. Other things to consider with having the shooter present, the pro-shop person (again provided they know what they are doing) can then review their form, grip, anchor, etc. for flaws.

It's a learning process that's for sure. One shop I would never go back to couldn't even fletch my arrows correctly. One I do go back to I trust, but they also put the bow in my hands. Hard to say what is right or wrong but we should never stop learning and sometimes we have to trust people that know what they are doing.

I've really got to disagree on the 95% is mechanical and 5% human. I wouldn't even say 50/50. If it's going to be tuned to "specs" then it has to be shot out of a machine, that is the only way to take out all human error. But in reality how many of us humans are the same as a machine. I don't care who shoots the bow, it's going to be different than the next guy. So I say let the owner shoot the bow while tuning. Then some of their mistakes can be adjusted out with the tuning.

Not cutting on the folks that want to send their equip to someone else, and pay good money for something that is very simple.
But I will never let anyone tune my bow for me.

Curran
07-16-2013, 04:41 PM
Couple thoughts come to mind. The first is that there's always more than one way to skin a cat, meaning I can certainly understand that a piece of equipment can be tuned to manufacturer specs without the user present. Leaving possibly only minor adjustments to be done once the user gets the equipment in hand. The second is that there needs to be clear line of distinction when talking about cock veins and cock vanes. Lol...

Big_Holla
07-16-2013, 04:46 PM
The second is that there needs to be clear line of distinction when talking about cock veins and cock vanes. Lol...

LMAO!!! :iagree:

Big_Holla
07-16-2013, 05:01 PM
I've really got to disagree on the 95% is mechanical and 5% human. I wouldn't even say 50/50. If it's going to be tuned to "specs" then it has to be shot out of a machine, that is the only way to take out all human error. But in reality how many of us humans are the same as a machine. I don't care who shoots the bow, it's going to be different than the next guy. So I say let the owner shoot the bow while tuning. Then some of their mistakes can be adjusted out with the tuning.

Not cutting on the folks that want to send their equip to someone else, and pay good money for something that is very simple.
But I will never let anyone tune my bow for me.

Very good points as well Mike! I guess for me it was hard to grasp the idea that someone can send out their bow and get it back tuned and ready to rock-n-roll. I would say there likely are those places you can have it done at and have it be perfect for you but it's hard to say. Also, I am wondering if some of the tuning that is done is still mostly to a dual cam bow these days. Isn't it true there isn't much to tune on a single cam bow? I guess that is one thing I did not ask Whitetail Freak about, what kind of bow he is shooting. Heck, I wouldn't have a clue how to actually tune a dual cam bow at all.

The last time I had my bow tuned at the bow shop we spent some time going back and forth with paper tuning, then did walk back tuning and all. It took quite a while but in the end we got it done. Now with this I am talking about a single cam bow and only rest/nocking point tuning.

buckstalker17
07-16-2013, 05:50 PM
I like chocolate chip cookies

Mike F
07-16-2013, 06:11 PM
What if the bow is left handed and the "God of the archery bow tuning" is right handed, will I still get a perfectly tuned bow????
Or maybe since they are making so much money, with the 3 month wait and all, they can afford to have a right and left hand pro....
Or better yet....I should go to work for these bow tuners, since I shot right handed for 20 years, and as of this Aug. it will be 20 years left handed. Then they could pay me double, and fire both the other guys.

And yes Chuck, there is tuning of a single cam also.

He He He....He said vein

buckstalker17
07-16-2013, 06:42 PM
What if the bow is left handed and the "God of the archery bow tuning" is right handed, will I still get a perfectly tuned bow????
Or maybe since they are making so much money, with the 3 month wait and all, they can afford to have a right and left hand pro....
Or better yet....I should go to work for these bow tuners, since I shot right handed for 20 years, and as of this Aug. it will be 20 years left handed. Then they could pay me double, and fire both the other guys.

And yes Chuck, there is tuning of a single cam also.

He He He....He said vein

I will hire you mike and we will call it mofo pro shop bring your junk to us and we will have you shooting just like the pros for a nominal fee of coarse and and they should have there bows back in 6-8 months all we need is a web site. O yea and the slogan will if you can't drive tacks with your bow at hundred yards its your fault not ours cause we super tuned your bow

Mike F
07-16-2013, 07:44 PM
I like it....

buckstalker17
07-16-2013, 07:59 PM
I will get working on the registered trade mark. Hahahahaba

SKO
07-16-2013, 08:10 PM
Head N the sand archery?

buckstalker17
07-17-2013, 12:01 AM
Later man !! !!!!!!!!!?

buckstalker17
07-17-2013, 10:55 AM
Look sko this back and forth crap needs to stop we all have to agree to disagree on the hole tuning issue my mind is made up mike is the same way. And if you think we are wrong then start a thread about it and prove that we are wrong. But to set there and contradict every thing posted and not give any opinion or input as to why we are misinformed helps no one it seems clear to us you are a shop owner and we could be wrong. Bottom line is this that tuning techniques will always be a controversial topic because there all kinds of different ways to get to the same result some like the modern some like the old fashion do it yourself!!!!! Now we can either start off new or we can just ignore the other ones post it's your call !!!!! Either way this stops now.

mrbb
07-17-2013, 11:54 AM
HAHAHA, well I hate to see folks get mad at each other here, but I like the action of some of the debates like this here, they at least help keep the site going
and to be honest, so far this has been a tame one
and I honestly don't mind if folks come on and plug what ever
as ong as its hunting related
Not saying that bad advice should be rewarded, but saying, any action hunting related is still I feel good for the site, and I am not saying I welcome the jerks out there to come on and bloat crap on here either! just stating, without dumb questions and opinions, there would never be better one's MAYBE!!
and we all have our opnions on what works and what doesn't, and How to's! more than one way to skin a rabbit Folks!
as well as we all were once dummys about something, and maybe believed or learned something wrong
many times these debates in MY opinion, cover a lot more subject/'s and dig up facts, over just reply's from people, many might jJUST assume are right!
hey, I am no expert/pro
and I have been wrong, even with all my yrs of experience and what not's

I say everyone just needs to remember, what ever is on a forum,is just LETTERS and WORDS< they do not physcally hurt you, so no point in getting feathers ruffled
just let what you don't like at what ever point , just go in one ear and out the other
the world is full of idiots anymore
so , just call it practice to filter them out if need be, think how much better of you will be when your face to face with one in real life!! , having so much practice with them also on forums! LOL

buckstalker17
07-17-2013, 12:57 PM
Mrbb it's like the 22 debate my theory was rt but my example was wrong and you proved that that's a debate that's all I'm saying if you want to debate something then debate it don't just use smart $$$ comments and leave it at that. Give me facts or tell me where to do my research and he has only twice I looked at his links he posted and I still don't be leave the could be 100% correct

Whitetail Freak
07-19-2013, 04:43 PM
Gentelman yall aint gotta get into a argument i recall not long ago sumone go banned for somewhat the same stuff i aint implying either of ya are getting banned i just dont wanna see us lose anymore members over dumb crap my oppion. I respect EVERYONES reply i really do i ty to all who offered to help me . BIG my bow is a pse durango (older bow ) i pm'd sum ppl so check ur inboxes