MatthewUSMC8791
07-10-2013, 07:43 PM
TenPoint Crossbow Technologies

1325 Waterloo Road

Mogadore, OH 44260

www.tenpointcrossbows.com

For Immediate Release

TenPoint Purchases Horton Assets

Mogadore, OH. Rick Bednar, Chairman, President, and CEO of Hunter’s Manufacturing Company , Inc., dba TenPoint Crossbow Technologies, manufacturer of premium level crossbows recognized for their precision performance, quality engineering, and dependability, has announced that his company purchased selected assets of former competitor, Horton Archery LLC, Kent, OH, effective July 1, 2013.

“Recently it appeared that Horton’s ability to operate deteriorated.” Bednar said. “The company released most of its employees in April, and its primary (secured) creditor finally took possession of all Horton’s assets, and closed its doors. We have purchased machinery, equipment, and other selected assets, including trademarks, licenses, and the rights to the Horton name from the secured creditor. It is important to understand that we did not purchase the Horton Archery LLC operation. That operation no longer exists, and TenPoint will not continue making or servicing any of Horton’s current or past bow models.”

“To put all of this in simple terms,” Bednar continued, “our research made it clear that it was neither functionally nor financially prudent to resume the Horton manufacturing and servicing operations. We intend to spend the months ahead creating a new company with a new lineup worthy of the storied Horton name. We expect to reintroduce the new company as soon as it is feasible. While that effort is underway, we will continue to remain focused on managing TenPoint and our subsidiary, Wicked Ridge Crossbows, as industry leaders in technology and customer service.”

Ironically, Bednar was one of the four investors who created the original Horton USA brand in 1985. He served as its Chief Operating Officer from its inception until 1991, when he sold his stock and left the organization. At the time, Horton was approaching the apex of its reputation. In 1994, Bednar formed Hunter’s Manufacturing Company, Inc. dba TenPoint Crossbow Technologies. Since Bednar left Horton, different entities have tried to reorganize the brand three times but have never succeeded.

Bednar believes the entities strayed from Horton’s original founding principles, and signed on to a plan that included imported engineering and offshore parts. The original Horton relied on quality customer service and manufacturing, exceptional value, and responsiveness to the marketplace - similar principles that have propelled TenPoint Crossbows to its current position as a market leader. He is firm in his belief that he can re-instill these principles in a new Horton brand.

Bednar is proud of his successful tenure at Horton and clearly relishes the opportunity to bring the brand back to its former position of prominence as a standard-bearer in the industry. “I wish my Dad were still here to witness this.” He said. “We used to talk about the possibility of someday getting the brand back. When you play a part in creating something of value, there is no pleasure in watching it lose its luster, even when it is a competitor. I want to make the brand better than ever.

mrbb
07-10-2013, 09:17 PM
Well, I guess in today economy, and now more x bow makers than ever, and hunter numbers dropping, its not that big a surprise
that a compamy would go under, suprised more don't to be honest
just think about how many x bow owners, have there bows for yrs and yrs!
and I own a horton x bow, never had a single problem with it in past 5+ yrs I have it
I hope Ten point does continue with there reversed limb x bows
I think they are much more user friendly designs
and I cannot blame then for not wanting to handle any warranty claims
BUT if they plan to use there name, I do feel they should
after all they will be selling off there reputation, no??

hortontoter
07-10-2013, 09:34 PM
I had a feeling Horton would fold sometime in the future, but not this quickly.

Horton crossbows were for the average guy to hunt with, thus the affordability of them.

I'm sure Bill Bednar would be happy to see Rick make this move. But, I hate to see an affordable line become priced along the lines of TenPoint, if it turns out to be. Even the cheaper Wicked Ridge line is priced quite a bit above a comparable Horton product.

I've shot both TenPoint and Wicked Ridge products. Some will say these are much better products than Horton produced and they may be correct. But, in my opinion, the difference in price doesn't equal the difference in quality or useability.

Only time will tell what Bill comes up with as a rebirth of Horton. My old SuperMag has served me well and I will be true to my screen name and tote my Horton for as long as possible. I just don't see the need for crossbows pushing the $1000 price tag to kill a deer at twenty yards.

Not trying to rub anyone the wrong way, just stating how I think.

hortontoter
07-10-2013, 09:41 PM
It is odd that one can purchase a name , but not the warranty of a product. But, it works this way many times.

I have a 6-18X Redfield scope that I bought new in 1975 that has a "lifetime" warranty to the original purchaser. I was going to send it in for repair a few months ago. I was told by Leupold, who purchased them in 2010, that they would not honor a warranty unless the scope was purchased since they aquired the company. Wheres the justice in that?

mrbb
07-11-2013, 01:26 AM
I too have a redfield scope from the early 80's, that has leaked out and turned yellow inside
I contacted redfield/leoupld, and they do have a repair center for old scopes, run by a totally different company than either, they do repairs at a discounted rate
but that sucks on a life time warranty scope,
but even many life time warranty's, don't cover much these days
all sales pitches, to sucker you into buying Lol
and I agree, I have shot ten point xbows, and no way at over a grand, do they shoot any better than many bows at half costs
they justify costs to me by materials used, and quality control
so I too agree, Hortons, were more for average guys to get into the sport
Tv hunting shows, sell higher end stuff,in my eyes, due to so many new folks believing they need to have top shelf equipment to hunt any more!
and like I said before, if they are using the name, they should stand by all its products, old and new
after all, that's why they want the name; to sell based on old rep, No ??

Big_Holla
07-11-2013, 08:23 AM
Great post to share MathewUSMC8791 and great to see you back on here!!

It is a shame that even with the latest 'crossbow boom' with so many states getting on board with allowing crossbows for hunting that Horton couldn't turn things around. It also didn't surprise me when I read that Ten Point was the ones who picked them up though. Sure hope they can manage and fix what was 'broken' there and thrive.

It is odd that one can purchase a name , but not the warranty of a product. But, it works this way many times.

I have a 6-18X Redfield scope that I bought new in 1975 that has a "lifetime" warranty to the original purchaser. I was going to send it in for repair a few months ago. I was told by Leupold, who purchased them in 2010, that they would not honor a warranty unless the scope was purchased since they aquired the company. Wheres the justice in that?

Sure hate to hear that they still wouldn't step up and help you out hortontoter. Guess that's the way of our country any more, get out of obligations if you can. Not much different than claiming bankruptcy I guess.

buckstalker17
07-15-2013, 07:55 PM

HEY DICK DOES THIS MEAN YOUR CHANGING YOUR SCREAN NAME TO PARKERTOTOR JUST ASKING :confused:KIDDING LOL

hortontoter
07-15-2013, 09:32 PM
Parkertoter, just doesn't have the right ring to it. Guess I'll stick to Hortontoter for now.

buckstalker17
07-15-2013, 10:20 PM
Parkertoter, just doesn't have the right ring to it. Guess I'll stick to Hortontoter for now.

your rite just wouldn't look the same id think i was talking to a stranger

BowSniperX
07-19-2013, 05:40 PM
If I remember correctly, they had issues with the Fury being recalled for several issues regarding safety.

I wonder if the problems with engineering caused most of Hortons problems....Any thoughts?

mrbb
07-19-2013, 06:42 PM
thoughts?? well my first would be Horton made thousands of X bows and compound bows, and as far as I know, 90+% have been rock solid products
every company has had recalls and issue that turn up after there released
things happen in time, no , product testing can find many times till, Time actually goes by
and of course recalls Cost company's a lot of money, and why they try so hard to never release items till there pretty darn sure there good to go!
I personally feel, company's like Horton go under, when TV hunting shows, Magazines and such, push certain brands more
and with hunter numbers dropping like they are
and SO many company's out there competing for business
and the fact that SO many X bow owners buy one and keep it for yrs and yrs, not needing to up grade an replace with the newest and latest, as so many compound bow guys do
Lack of tournaments shooting for x bows too
all lead into, company's going under
Horton, last several yrs was never a main stream TV hype bow, all but there Reverse limb bow, and again, change is hard to sell, all the more so when they has so many issue's with that design at first! for people to appreciate the real benefits of it
so, less hunters, more company's, and most x bow owners not buying new x bows very often, and piss poor marketing, and well some production issue's
well something has to give!

bonzman17
10-14-2013, 05:41 PM
Wow that's a surprise, I was looking into a Horton for awhile but chose a compound.