PDA

View Full Version : High Water = No Photos

hortontoter
07-06-2013, 04:31 PM
The wife and I drove to our cabin late this morning. I had planned to trade out cards in my cameras. Got out of the truck to the sound of rushing water. Took my tractor down to the creek and knew better than to try to cross it. The water was way to swift and deep. This is the worst I have seen this creek in about eight years. I have a stand that sits just off the creek bed, but about four foot above water level. Some time in the last week or so the water had been up to that stand and it sat on a 45 degree angle from where it is placed. Luckily I had planned ahead and chained the stand to a small beech tree on the upstream side of the stand. I really never thought the water would reach it, but it did. If not for the chain it probably would have been gone.

Also lost at least 4-5 tons of gravel out of my driveway. Luckily when this happens it deposits in an area that it can be shoveled and loaded into a trailer and put back in the drive. Across the creek I saw a few decent sized trees down on the hillside. I'm sure these will be blocking my main tractor paths. Looks like I'll be spending sometime cleaning things up over the next few weeks.

The cabin came through, no worse for wear. The front porch was covered in debris from water rushing down the hill towards the cabin. The very edge of the carpet inside was damp in one corner by the front porch, not a big deal though.

I sure hated not being able to get my camera cards, but one day this week I will retrieve them.

Only neat thing was all the colossal mushrooms growing everywhere. Wish I had taken my camera down today. Some of these things were huge.

Big_Holla
07-06-2013, 04:41 PM
Wow, hate to hear the water is giving you projects you weren't planning on!! One thing's for sure, the years we have complained about no rain have all been made up this year. Probably picked the best year to put food plots in but then again too much of a good thing can be bad too.

mrbb
07-06-2013, 10:49 PM
Well water is a powerful thing, few yrs back I was able to row a boat about my food plots, under about 6-7 ft of water, have to look for the pic's, show a treestand I have almost under water
glad to hear the cabin didn't get damaged more or less, and just think, them SD cards will just have a lot more good pic's when you get to them