PDA

View Full Version : Mich deer kills and B&C odds

mrbb
07-03-2013, 02:26 PM
OK was just flipping through one of my lastest Outdoor life mags, and it has a article about deer kills on public vs private lands
and it states that 87% of all deer killed in Mich. last yr were killed on private lands
I mean I know lots of folks hunt private lands, but I always thought larger numbers of folks hunted public lands, in Mich, and large deer states like PA, Wv and such
that sem wrong, at 87 %
anyone from Mich, want to chim in on this?

next I seen an article in there as well, that I happen to find crazy
it states that you have higher odds of killing a B&C class buck in states with high deer numbers
simply because it says there are more deer, so there has to be more B&C class deer
well living in a state that formerly had the highest deer numbers in the country for many many yrs and went back and forth with Mich and TX over the yrs
and I know that B&C class deer were extremely rare when we had the highest numbers, now we are lower deer numbers, we are starting to kill more B&c class deer
so I call BS on that theory, more deer means more B&C's Bullcrap
more deer, typically mean more younger deer, not older one's

Texas, is a great B&C state, but that to me is because such a LARGE percentage of it is private, and most folks there seemed to be into QDM yrs ahead of most of the rest of the country
so they some what to me, rule the QDM world on private lands, and well, so many folks out there seem to own huge tracts of land, where they can actually control age's and genetic's of there herds, ( something so few on the east coast can do with only small acreage's) plus so many high fence deals too! super control over a herd in my eyes with that!
and budgets to build great deer lands
and almost Zero public lands I am sure help, I say this, as more folks willing to pay to hunt, from my experience, don't go out and shoot yearlyings, so they practice more QDM due to costs to hunt, helping further the age of more deer

Big_Holla
07-03-2013, 03:56 PM
I would tend to agree with the numbers for private vs. state land in Michigan. There is so much of the state in private land, with the exception of the UP and parts of the northern lower. Any state land in the lower peninsula is often swamped with people to the point where success rates drop dramatically, especially once gun season rolls around. As far as B&C goes, more and more are trying to do quality deer management up here but the parcel sizes are so small nowadays that you cannot guarantee the guy two doors down will follow the same rules. Some of the bigger parcels that do practice it though are really making a change for the better IMO. Part of what goes into the deer kill too is antlerless deer. The southern part of the lower peninsula private land pretty much has unlimited doe (antlerless) permits that can be used from the beginning of bow season, thru all of the gun seasons and even in the early antlerless/late antlerless seasons. State land there are strict quotas and often I have not gotten a tag for state land.

mrbb
07-03-2013, 05:25 PM
well I agree private lands are almost always better with some QDM
but I still find it hard to imagine that only 13 % of all hunters kill a deer on public lands
I mean I can understand better hunting on again priave lands, but I still I guess have a hard time thinking so few public land hunters kill any deer?
But Hey 99% of texas is all private so??
Just I know mich and PA, were so close in high deer numbers and hunters for so many yrs
here in Pa I would Guess, that at least 50% of kills come off public lands
But what do I know LOL

MICH
07-07-2013, 09:24 PM
public land monday-thurs. during bow season you are fine, but on sat & sun.,& during firearm season it is a zoo on state land, i live 1 mile from a lot of it and dont see much pulled off it, but deer get pushed off there by the 2nd day of gun......the #'s are true