PDA

View Full Version : Replace those treestand cables

blackbeard
06-28-2013, 01:31 AM
I'm currently ordering several replacement cables for some of my fixed treestands, the cables that hold the platform level. This is long overdue for some of my stands and what led me to do it was that one cable broke when the stand hit the ground back in February when I was taking it down. Glad it wasn't when I was standing on it! So just reminding everyone to replace those cables.

mrbb
06-28-2013, 01:27 PM
yea, that goes for straps too, I think straps are in ned of replacing a lot more often too, as bot the stress of the tree growing, and the UV in the sun light can quickly weaken them, and why so many MFG's, recommend they not be mounted for more than a few days at a time, and I know almost everyone leaves there's up a lot longer than a few days, with most guys leaving them up all season
so??
how many times/days weeks, yrs, does it take to have one fail ??

and I guess for those folks that use a climber a lot, I know Lone Wolf, highly recommends new climbing bands every 5 yrs, as they too get old and fail!, and all the others I think just use cable
that, can age and weaken too over time!
Now is also a great time to check welds on stands too, and if need be, have corrected!

so many things we can take for granted, that one oops, can be very bad!

BucksandBass
06-29-2013, 09:06 PM
There was a very experienced hunter here in central Ky. that had one break on him at the end of the season in Jan. 2012 and he fell straight down. A stem of a small tree had broken off at the base of the tree and it went through the upper part of his groin and wedged against the bottom of his collar bone. He stayed awake and called his daughter on his cell phone. She did not know exactly where his stand was so she called this guy's hunting friend and they went together to the stand. The man who fell was in shock enough that he only thought the limb severely cut him then wedged under his clothes thus leaving him suspended. When the medics got there was when they all realized the reality of the situation. Making the story short he did live but as you can imagine it is with many difficulties and limitations. He was very knowledgeable in the hunting world and even worked in a local hunting goods store. So there is no exclusions from injuries and what "might" happen to anyone. I am on a routine of changing cables, straps, and anything that has the possibility of holding my life in jeopardy now. Take care of yourself and leave nothing to "lady luck"!!!!

offtheground
07-05-2013, 07:32 AM
Yes, I need to order some for the summit climber. Will need to find them for older Gander Mountain brand I got used, more I think of this that should have already been done.

Big_Holla
07-10-2013, 08:30 AM
I stopped using a couple of my stands because the cables were so rusted a few years back. Still decent stands but it isn't worth the risk. Blackbeard and any others out there, where can we get replacement cables?? Are they purchased or homemade??

I tried contacting the original manufacturer for those stands and it's out of business, so in the barn they sit. Had thought about getting heavy duty chain and going that route but would rather get nice rubber coated cables first.

Deerhunter
07-13-2013, 08:59 PM
I stopped using a couple of my stands because the cables were so rusted a few years back. Still decent stands but it isn't worth the risk. Blackbeard and any others out there, where can we get replacement cables?? Are they purchased or homemade??

I tried contacting the original manufacturer for those stands and it's out of business, so in the barn they sit. Had thought about getting heavy duty chain and going that route but would rather get nice rubber coated cables first.

Great Post I have a few stands the same way I went to tractor supply got some aircraft cables and cable clamps and made my own and double up on the cables just for me since I am getting fluffy :P

I had a stand 2 years ago that after I got in it looked down and 1 of the cables was broken and the other was holding with just a few strands.....I got lucky it didn't break.

blackbeard
07-13-2013, 11:47 PM
Measure the length of the cable from center hole to center hole then call Remington, big game, or gorilla and ask them what sizes they have and pick the closest, tell them you don't know what kind of Remington, big game, or gorilla stand you have and don't tell them you are putting the cables on a stand they didn't make or they won't sell them to you. These are the best three companies I found for cables. Email me if you want phone numbers.

Big_Holla
07-14-2013, 07:32 AM
Great Post I have a few stands the same way I went to tractor supply got some aircraft cables and cable clamps and made my own and double up on the cables just for me since I am getting fluffy :P

I had a stand 2 years ago that after I got in it looked down and 1 of the cables was broken and the other was holding with just a few strands.....I got lucky it didn't break.

Lucky is for certain with that Deerhunter!! Glad you didn't get hurt!

Measure the length of the cable from center hole to center hole then call Remington, big game, or gorilla and ask them what sizes they have and pick the closest, tell them you don't know what kind of Remington, big game, or gorilla stand you have and don't tell them you are putting the cables on a stand they didn't make or they won't sell them to you. These are the best three companies I found for cables. Email me if you want phone numbers.

Excellent information to share Blackbeard!! Thanks for passing it on!!