PDA

View Full Version : looking for help

Lockhart52
06-25-2013, 03:54 PM
I am avid angler and fish for the University of Akron. I have wanted to go hunting for some time now; however, I have never been and not sure how to get started. I have missed the last few years waiting for the opportunity for someone to show me the ropes. I have decided that this will be the year even if I have to just sit in the wood and try to get lucky.

mrbb
06-25-2013, 04:13 PM
well hunting is a great sport to get into
some things to look into for you
First, you have to take and pass a hunter safety course
you can normally get a list of folks /places offering them close to you, by contacting the game dept, and finding out who is the closest warden to you
they should be able to steer you to a place where you can take a course
every state is different on what all they make you learn, but its normally all basic information they teach you right there in the class
Second, depending on your age, you may or may not need a fellow hunter over the age of 16-18 to take you hunting
as there is an age requirement you must meet to loegally hunt alone in miost states( I am from PA)
third, you will need to decide on what game animals you want to hunt, and then get some practice in with the weapon you plan to use.
again, an age deal can be here , as you must be a certian age to buy a firearm, and or be able to use one with a fellow hunter
every state is different, here in PA it's actually illegal to loan a person a firearm( a gray area law few enforce, but its still a law)

as for finding people to help you learn, well forums like this are a help
but its also a good idea maybe to look into some local archery clubs(if you plan to bow hunt) and or go to some gun stores and ask about
both of these places will more than likely find you a person to help teach you and show you the ropes getting started in hunting
most hunters are pretty easy going types, willing to help a new guy out.
as long as your willing to learn and listen
Public hunting grounds are all over Ohio
again, asking your local game warden about places to try is a great idea
and he can maybe also get you hooked up with a mentor program, many of the hunter safety course instructors , can also maybe steer you to a mentor, or provide some good help in getting started

just remember, you do NOT need o have the latest and greated gear, bows/guns, to be good at hunting, or for it to be fun
the basic gear will work and get you lots of game if you put forth the effort
Good luck
and of course
feel free to ask questions here
lots of good folks here willing to help

Cheif
06-26-2013, 11:48 PM
You came to great spot ask advice. Last year was my first year bow hunting and hunting through a season in general. I also had no one to teach me anything and I went off of trial and error and asking questions on this forum. I have asked many of questions on this site and everyone on here whats to see you prevail and give great advice. Here are some of the things that I have learned in my first year.
1. Practice, Practice, Practice right now. Get use to your bow, get use to shooting it.
2. Know your yardage. I missed a couple of deer my first season because I dont think my yardage sight seeing was very good. (When you sight in for hunting season, make sure you are sighting in to your broadheads rather than relying on field points. They shoot differently. Try going to a couple 3d tourneys to get really get a good sense of yardage plus they are a lot of fun.
3. Scent Control-- A must if a deer smells something unnatural they are not going near it. Thats how I missed my 10 point buck. the wind will carry your scent and deer will pick it up. They have sprays and I recomend the bar soaps as well.
4. Wind Direction-- You always want the wind blowing in your face. meaning that wind will carry your scent behind you and not directly into the line of fire where this could be a shooting lane.
5. Just get in the woods. You will learn more from just being there and observing and applying what you have learned. Its good experience.
6. Know how the season runs-- really anything before rut is come and go. First week and second week is huge for bringing out bucks at any point as they are running the does. After any kind of gun season deer are on high alert and seem to be extremly cautious. and the colder it gets the harder it gets trust me.
Anyway this is just my experience from my first year. so if I am incorrect on anything please let me know. dont want to misinform this fellow. but this is what I have experienced. Like I have said the first time you have a big buck come up on you IT WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE!!! Seriously, I love bow hunting and am willing to lend a hand out to anyone that wants to get involved, just like everyone has done for me on this site.

Lockhart52
06-27-2013, 11:59 AM
Thank you for the information both reply really helped and gives me a place to start... thanks

mrbb
06-27-2013, 01:56 PM
NO problem, if you tell us where your located at, you might maybe find a guy on the site here that might be willing to mentor you too!
I know if you were closer I'd be glad to help you out, but being here in PA, odds are I am way too far to help in this manor!
hunting isn't really that hard, its more about the goals you set for yourself
killing a deer or?? doesn't make the hunt, its the enjoyment of the challange, the seeing wildlife act in nature in there natural enviroment, hunting will let you se a lot of things , that non hunters will never see!
like all things you get out of it what you put into it!
good luck

Lockhart52
06-27-2013, 05:13 PM
NO problem, if you tell us where your located at, you might maybe find a guy on the site here that might be willing to mentor you too!
I know if you were closer I'd be glad to help you out, but being here in PA, odds are I am way too far to help in this manor!
hunting isn't really that hard, its more about the goals you set for yourself
killing a deer or?? doesn't make the hunt, its the enjoyment of the challange, the seeing wildlife act in nature in there natural enviroment, hunting will let you se a lot of things , that non hunters will never see!
like all things you get out of it what you put into it!
good luck

That would be great... I am from Sharon PA But now like in Akron OH. I can relate to what your saying about enjoying and seeing the wildlife. Just the other day, while bass fishing, I saw a bald eagle land in a tree close enough to see him holding a squirrel.

mrbb
06-27-2013, 06:26 PM
thnks cool seeing a Bald eagle, seen a lot over the yrs, seen the most ever in WY one winter, there were just every where like crows on the sides of the roads all over, crazy
and one of the reasons I started carring a good camera most places I go! just never know what you will see

Both of your places are well over 4 hrs away from me, but I do believe there are a few folks on this site closer to you
BUT, sadly, most go MIA this time of yr, but will be back come late Aug, so if you don't find any hel before then, post again then, sure someone will have some helpful info or ??

Lockhart52
06-27-2013, 06:32 PM
ok thanks sounds good.