PDA

View Full Version : Feeder Help

BucksandBass
06-13-2013, 02:33 PM
What you guys using to keep the coons from climbing you feeder poles? Tried wiring carpet tack strips to mine to no avail. Guess it's a trip to Bass Pro for the $25 strips they have. Put out Record Rack Deer and Elk feed and not one picture of a deer but the coons love it.

mrbb
06-13-2013, 04:34 PM
well I don't mind the coons and other critters eating the corn I use
But myabe you might look into some of them cheap electric fence set ups, that work off solar power and a few batteries, like they use in and about tents to keep bears out
I would think they would work great for keeping unwanted coons in a feeder out??
Tractor Suppy also sells sheap set up too??
Plus don't forget , that this time of yr, with so much food coming out, that deer will hit a feeder a lot less, craving fresh foods over store bought made stuff, or , that's my opinion and results at my place!

hortontoter
06-17-2013, 09:59 AM
I'm thinking of converting my tripod feeder to a hanging feeder. I think hanging it off a limb with a thin cable would do away with a lot of the coons and squirrels. Coons and squirrels defeat the purpose of a timed feeder. They just jump aboard and turn the spinner at will.

Big_Holla
06-17-2013, 12:32 PM
If you are certain that's how they are getting onto the feeder then I'd say the upgrade strips at BPS is the way to go. I don't own one yet so I can't help you much.

mrbb
06-17-2013, 01:30 PM
well all I can say is them tree rats are very very hard to keep out, they have all dam day to think of ways to get into feeders
I gave up trying to keep them out, seen them chew through wire, I hung feeders on too!, there pests
and the worse part is, they bury half of what they take and NO critter gets it, as it goes bad most of the time
little buggers I call them
My back yard this yr I have corn growing all over from them burying it all spring
But coons and bigger critters, I still say electric fence, small wires will do wonders, they learn pretty fast about that stuff!
know many folks that use it to keep them out of corn cribs and chicken coops, and all had problems before, and none after

blackbeard
06-20-2013, 12:37 AM
What about the round cones that keep squirrels from climbing bird feeders? You could make some out of thin aluminum.

00buck
06-24-2013, 11:03 PM
havent had any problems with them getting in mine i bought the varmit kit from cabelas

BucksandBass
07-03-2013, 02:33 PM
Do they make the kits with an electrical shock on them or is it just a wire for restraint?

Big_Holla
07-03-2013, 03:49 PM
Do they make the kits with an electrical shock on them or is it just a wire for restraint?

I am thinking mrbb was talking about an electric cattle style of fencing. They make solar powered ones that you could probably rig up to do the job if that is what you are thinking. I couldn't find anything on-line as a feeder add on.

00buck
07-03-2013, 04:56 PM
i dont know if this link will work but this is what i have and works pretty decent as for using electric with it now sure never tried it

here is the link

http://www.moultriefeeders.com/productdetail.aspx?id=10006

mrbb
07-03-2013, 05:30 PM
yes I was talking about rigging up a either cattle type or a camping type e fence wire
and yes I was thinking of a solar powered one, or one that runs off D cell batteries
they sell very small kits these days
as if you have plastic or wooden hoppers critters can eat holes in them, costing you $$
I know I had a few chewed up on me yrs back

them metal plates can work , but still seen critters chew past them