View Full Version : New to Ohio, need some help

06-04-2013, 11:04 AM
Hey guys,

Like the title says, I am new to Ohio. I am originally from buffalo NY, but have been living outside of cleveland the past 3 years, as I was going to the Cleveland Institute of Art. I now have a job in Chagrin Falls OH, and have a small parcel of land to hunt on.

I need some insight on everything license related. Im guessing I can go to gander mountain or Dicks to get my tags and permits, but was hoping you guys here could give me as much info as possible. I know that the parcel I have permission to hunt is bow only.

thanks in Advance!

06-04-2013, 02:05 PM
Welcome to BowhuntingOhio DC-Kreative!! Most of what you are looking for as far as licensing can be reviewed on the ODNR web page for Hunting and Trapping:


As far as where you go to buy your hunting licenses, yes most sporting goods stores will carry them along with Meijer's, Walmart, etc.. The land that you are bowhunting on, is it private land or perhaps public bow-only? One thing Ohio is big on if it's private you have permission to hunt on is making sure you have a permission slip filled out. Those can be found on their website or can be obtained at a license dealer. Look forward to hearing how your season progresses this year!!

06-04-2013, 03:23 PM
You will need a resident hunting license, a deer tag and written permission on private land. Tags can be either sex or antlerless. Read the regulations to decide which tag you will need.

Should be some nice bucks to be had around the Chagrin Falls area. Good luck and keep us posted how things go. Feel free to ask questions any time. We will all offer advice when we can.

06-04-2013, 10:19 PM
the land i will be hunting on is private, and already have written permission. The main question I am trying to figure out is whether I should claim residency in ohio or new york. I will be hunting in both. As of now, i only have my hunting safety course and license in NY. the other thing is pricing. below I will make a chart of the hunting prices of both resident and non resident for each state.

NY $88 $240 included
OH $19 $125 either sex+ antlerless - $39

it seems that keeping residency in NY and hunting non resident in OH is cheaper - 88+125+39=$252 rather than 240+19+39=$298

but the question is, is this legal for me to do?

06-05-2013, 08:15 AM
but the question is, is this legal for me to do?

As far as the hunting licenses go I'd say do the NR for Ohio. Whether it's legal would boil down to how Ohio's laws are on changing your residency. Up here in Michigan you are supposed to apply for a change of address and new license within so many days of your moving, provided that's the state you will be residing in for so many months out of the year. Don't know all the legalities but you may need to check with Ohio's Secretary of State/DMV.

06-05-2013, 09:00 AM
Not sure of the legalities. But, for $46, I'd do whats legal.

06-05-2013, 10:13 AM
well , I can add a hair here, I both hunted a lot of out of states, and have many friends that moved to other states that hunted!

here is what I know some what!,
if you own a house in NY and plan to keep that as your residence, you can for sure just buy a NON res hunting lic in Ohio, and all is fine legal wise
BUT if you do NOT own the property where you used to live in NY, and ONLY live now in Ohio, you will have to use Ohio as your new address
not exactly sure, but there is a period of tme that after you live in a state that says your now, a resident of that state, and as such, that means yoU have to have a resident state lis to hunt in this state now
, YOU CANNOT buy a res lic, untill that time period has taken place
now where things can get tricky is, lets say lic sales are on sale RIGHT now, and you go and buy all your lic's in both states, if you didn't meet the time ("X") frame for that to be a change in your status, but then come fall when it does, you MIGHT legally have to buy a second lic. to be legal
SInce deer season is far off, I would hold off on buying any lic. and start e mailing the game dept in each state and asking them, and getting 100 % correct and up to date info, better safe than sorry!
BUT like I first stated, if you still own home in NY and plan to keep,you can just use that as your residence address/status, and then being in ohio would be a second property you just own, kinda like a dual address
I have two places in PA, and just keep one as perm address, and one as a second
there are laws tat do claim you can only be at second address for "X" amount of time, before that is said to become your NEW real address, but no one keeps track really of how often you go back and forth, more or less, so??
hope this helps and not confusses you more
good luck, and welcome to the site!

06-11-2013, 01:40 AM
Welcome to the forum DC.
Do you have any pics of land?

John M
06-22-2013, 10:46 PM
I would think thst you need some documentation to prove your residense. A valid drivers license would probably be needed to support you as a resident of said state.