PDA

View Full Version : road kills

mrbb
05-29-2013, 10:33 PM
OK, I don't know if its just up my way, But WOW, last few weeks, deer have been getting killed left and right all about me, on a 60 mile trip, I counted 46 dead deeer on the road side today!, and can see a LOT were bucks too!
Funny as all last yr, road kills were far and few, so much so, a lot of friends even talked about it at deer camp
so watch out folks, there on the move this yr up my way!
makes me think about riding the bike now in evenings!!
Already hit one on a Motorcycle, not looking for a second!

Big_Holla
05-29-2013, 10:55 PM
Now that you mention it we saw quite a few on our trek to SE Ohio and back, some were bucks as well. Today I counted 3 on the way to work that were fresh. Maybe it's the moon or something.

Mike F
05-30-2013, 04:59 AM
Yep, I've noticed the same thing the last couple of weeks.

mrbb
05-30-2013, 11:46 AM
Ok then so its not just up here??
makes you wonder, as now with fawns on the way, could make a dent come fall on numbers
and nothing sucks more to me than loosing a good buck to a car/truck
and it just rots on the side of a road!
I think once the crops start to take hold it should help keep them off raods but wow, for now, there getting smashed all over up here!

Big_Holla
05-30-2013, 12:19 PM
Just a thought but if a doe has her fawn(s) I would think they might run off other deer in the immediate area, especially if she still has any buck yearlings that may have hung around til now. Final stages of that buck fawn displacement we hear about.

ghunter
05-30-2013, 10:39 PM
I actually saw a doe get hit by a car the other night at 2am and she had a fawn with her. I took the little doe home and to a rehab center a few hours later.

Big_Holla
05-31-2013, 08:20 AM
Well that sucks ghunter but at least you were there and knew who to contact.

ghunter
05-31-2013, 03:48 PM
The circle of life's guess. The ODNR wanted to just kill the fawn.