PDA

View Full Version : Refletching Arrows

buckeye96
05-15-2013, 12:32 PM
When I get out past 40 yards my groups start to open up. I shoot fixed blade broad heads, and was thinking about refletching my arrows. I used blazer vanes and was curious how much I should off set them. Would two degrees be suficient?

mrbb
05-15-2013, 12:46 PM
OK let me ask you, is it group size that is getting larger at 40 yrds over say 20-30 yrds?
and have you paper tested at 40 yrds to see if there still flying well, before you go and re fletch
many times group sizes open up farther out , just due to shooter error and not arrow issue's, or bow set up, but bow set up can cause issue's farther out of things are not set up corectly, just at closer ranges you don't notice them
I known a few guys that used to video there shooting , and then used slow motion to help see where the cause is
just something to think about before re fletching maybe!

I ;m no pro by the way, just my 2 cents

buckeye96
05-15-2013, 01:02 PM
I have not paper tested out that far. I always thought that paper tuning should be done at close range so the arrow does not have time to level itself. My bow is paper tuned and properly setup. I am sure some of my issues are user error and failing eye site, but I am looking for every advantage I can have. I was just curious if you thought putting a slight helical in my fletchings would help stabilize the arrow. Thanks for your help. I will have to try paper testing at 40. My groups at 20-30 are almost the same.

Big_Holla
05-15-2013, 01:52 PM
Having done some reading on this before a lot of guys believe a 2-3 degree offset is very similar to a helical when a Blazer vane is being used. With that I ended up getting an actual helical clamp for my fletching jig because the offset never seemed to get the entire surface of the Blazer in contact with the shaft. Makes a world of difference when it comes to a fixed blade head. As far as paper tuning, I always thought that was an up close thing too.

mrbb
05-15-2013, 07:42 PM
Yes paper tuning is mostly for up close, , BUT it will show if the arrows are twisting and cutting in all different ways, as if flying bad, and not just you aiming off target
like if one arrow is kicking up and another down, and next to the side, that to me shows more of a flying issue, and not just havinga harder time holding a aiming spot group!
you say your bow is in tune and paper tested, but when was the last time you checked?
Only saying things can move and as distance gets farther, small things make bigger problems farther out then!
a string can stretch, a rest or a nocking point can move a just enough to cause a headache

Agian just tossing out idea's to check before making the new arrows up!, as if its a bow/sight issue, odds are it won't do much to cirrect and be starting all over!
Good luck and let us know how it works out!