PDA

View Full Version : public hunting land

db4
05-12-2013, 10:15 PM
I am looking for some public hunting land in northeast ohio. I want a place that i am going to have a chance to see something, and not a bunch of people out hunting. pm me or reply to this. I am trying to go on thursday because I just realized the season ends in a few days.

mrbb
05-12-2013, 10:39 PM
well have you tried calling your local game warden, and asking for there 2 cents??
can also ask if he knows of any local farmers that get crop damage
many times they allow hunters
and Turkeys do , do damage too, just like deer, so never know!
worth a phone call if you ask me!

db4
05-13-2013, 08:18 PM
How would i go about finding my local game warden.

mrbb
05-14-2013, 10:04 AM
well there are LOTS of ways to find them
90% of all local cops know the person by name if they worked there for any time.
next most game dept provide them in the hunting reg booklet you get when you buy a hunting lic. , and or give you a number for the region you hunt in, and from there you can call that number and ask for the number or contact info for your local warden
same deal goes for going online and to the state game dept web site
from there many list local wardens and even provide a cell number and or a e mail address
if not same deal, can contact them Via E mail and ask for there info.
I have never not been replied to and provided there contact info doing it this way
I actually prefer to use an e mail, as I tend to feel it give them the tme to reply when they have it and not putting them on the spot.
I typically try to ask for a meeting some place maybe over a coffee /lunch or likes
and then pick there brain a little, a cheap way to get some great info, and also get to know your local warden.
never know when you will need one, and lets them get to know you as well!
but there are many ways to get to know your warden
hope this helps
also you can also try park rangers too, and or even ask your local cops if they know of any people with deer wildlife problems, as many times they are called first before a warden is called
and I am sure you know how to find a cop! Lol

db4
05-14-2013, 10:32 AM
This is a HUGE help. I really appreciate it. And yea I believe i can find a cop pretty easily. I just need to stop at my local dunkin Donuts! lol

mrbb
05-14-2013, 11:41 AM
yea its pretty easy to find a cop LOL

just speed about town, and one will find you ! HAHA
and hey cops too get a lot of info, all the better if they are not hunters themselves
then they share a little easier that way
you can even try your local Agway/feed store's too, many folks in them places are pretty easy going, and willing to share some info
and not as many folks guard lands when turkeys are the targets, as like in deer!

Big_Holla
05-14-2013, 12:51 PM
How would i go about finding my local game warden.

DB4 you can find most of the information right off of the ODNR page. Here is a direct link to the ODNR Wildlife Officers by County page:

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/wild_resourcessubhomepage/about_the_division_landingpage/contactdefault/contactsofficers/tabid/7004/Default.aspx

Big_Holla
05-14-2013, 12:56 PM
Here are a couple more links that may help you. If there is a particular area of public land you are wondering about as far as pressure, amount of game, etc. go ahead and post up your questions about them. Some may have had experience with the public land you are asking about and may direct you to locations or simply to avoid because of pressure.

Wildlife Areas:

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/wild_resourcessubhomepage/WildlifeAreaMapsLandingPage/tabid/19694/Default.aspx

Wildlife Areas specifically for the North East Ohio region:

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/wild_resourcessubhomepage/WildlifeAreaMaps/NortheastOhioWildlifeAreaMaps/tabid/19711/Default.aspx

American Electric Power (AEP) lands, some of which is open to hunting:

http://www.aep.com/environment/conservation/maps.aspx

db4
05-14-2013, 10:32 PM
well i live in Fairview Park and was looking for something that i can get to in about an hour. so maybe spencer lake and Ladue but I don't know of any more up this way near me in the Cleveland area. any help would be much appreciated. all this info is extremely helpful. Thank You