PDA

View Full Version : Any Advice?

Z7Mcclain92
05-02-2013, 09:38 PM
Im asking for any kind of advice on seeking permission on Private land. I dont have a problem with knocking on doors and asking for hunting permission. But what worries me is my age (20), I believe landonwers my not give me permission because I am too young, and they dont quite feel safe giving me hunting permission. But I am respectful to the laws and anything the landowner may request and willing to help around the house or farm. Just curious if anyone might have any advice to help me out.

Big_Holla
05-03-2013, 08:31 AM
I haven't really had much experience at asking myself but I've read quite a few comments from others on this over the years. Obviously you should never show up at the door in camo, the day before season. I'm not saying you should show up wearing a suit and a tie but most recommend wearing nice clothing and looking respectable, no hats or whitetail this or that clothing. I would recommend making up a resume so to speak that has some personal information about you and maybe even references. That would be something you could hopefully leave behind in an effort to get them to think about it and perhaps when you return a couple weeks later you could ask if they would reconsider (provided you were turned down in the first place). Remember, everyone who walks up to their doors is suspect and they are reluctant to welcome just any stranger without first trying to get to know you, that resume could be the one thing that changes their mind. Information about yourself could include everything from where you live, school information (college & studies?), how long you have been hunting, anything that shows you are an upstanding person, etc.. Might be a good time to tell them what hunting means to you and it's importance in your life, hopefully not just killing the biggest buck they have on the property. You can also list things you would be willing to help out with on their farm.

mrbb
05-03-2013, 09:50 AM
Great advice Big holla
I would add, RIGHT now most farmers are super busy getting ready and or planting crops ,so right now is a BAD time to ask, wait a month or so
no one likes to be asked for things when there busy as heck
next, maybe you can try your local game warned, and ask them if any farmers/property owners have complaints on deer damage, or just if they know of any that give permission if asked. Never know
and last there is great public lands in ohio too?
so pending where you are and how willing you are to look for it
you get what you give some times
personally I feel too many folks get caught up in needing private lands
just saying? Its not really needed

hortontoter
05-03-2013, 11:35 AM
Over the years I 've found groundhog hunting has always opened the door for me. Seems most farmers want pests gone. I break the ice with these when asking for permission. The red lines are where my name and phone number are. If I obtain permission to hunt varmints the landowner gets to see how I conduct myself. After a good relationship is built I may ask to hunt other game if I desire to do so.

I will say that your age is a handicap IMO. Not fair to stereotype the younger generation, but it happens all the time.

Big_Holla
05-03-2013, 12:12 PM
That's pretty cool Hortontoter!!

I will say that your age is a handicap IMO. Not fair to stereotype the younger generation, but it happens all the time.

I agree. Until the landowner figures out that you aren't a punk kid that's going to rob him blind or shoot his cattle that is where your challenge lies.

Big_Holla
05-03-2013, 12:16 PM
Also never forget to be courteous, yes sir and yes ma'am! Even if you don't gain access they will recognize you as a respectful and courteous hunter, something that is much needed this day and age. They may remember that as well the next time you swing by.

Z7Mcclain92
05-03-2013, 02:36 PM
Thanks guys for all the advice, Big Holla have never even thought about some sort of resume but thats a good idea, maybe even a back ground check nowadays lol. hortontoter Thats a great Idea I like that with the small card I might just have to try that. mrbb I never even thought to call the game warden and ask about properties Ill be making some calls. Thanks again

Knocking on doors its really not a problem and I always say yes sir yes ma'ma, I work in the redisdential construction business and knock on strangers doors all the time at least twice a day its great practice. Theres a lot of people in the Cleveland area that dislike the deer.

mrbb
05-03-2013, 02:52 PM
Well its a little late now, but Jan and feb. Are great months to ask for permission to look for sheds, many people don't stress as much for that acess, and that to can lead to them seeing your up and up, and its a time of yr most farmers have a lot more free time, to maybe go on a walk with you to show you the property lines and get to know you!
now is prime time planting season, I wouldn't be bothering crop farmers now, even if looking for ground hogs
maybe dairy farmers, as there the one's that have more issues with safety of the cows due them pests!
But something to consider, many people fear guns and new people shooting on farms with live stock, so keep that in mind, can try asking for permission to bow hunt ground hogs, kill a few and it will show your hunting skills with a bow too, over a just a gun!