PDA

View Full Version : turkey ? pls help

Whitetail Freak
04-23-2013, 09:07 AM
My queston is this ........will a turkey return to the same roost every night ?

Big_Holla
04-23-2013, 09:39 AM
If they are not pressured generally they will roost in the same spot or within a hundred yards or so. Our property down there they often move a little each night. Up in Michigan there are a couple of roost spots that they regularly head to every evening.

Whitetail Freak
04-23-2013, 11:21 AM
Thanks big wont b back out after em till fri morn hopefuly wont b much pressure during the wk down hear on public land and the gf and i can dust a double fri morn

mrbb
04-23-2013, 11:46 AM
well, I won't really say they will do that, it all depends on where they live and where there food is, and IF a female dragged them off there normal roosting area
in BIG tracks of forest , turkeys walk in search of food, and can roost in one area today and be a few miles away the next day
same goes many times if a goobler follows a hen about , and she leads him away from say his home range, he will stay with her to breed her,( just like a rutting buck will tail a doe till he gets some) and not leave a hen, or a flock of them, just to return to his main roosting area,( I find gooblers tend to roost away from hens most times of the yr) unless maybe it is very close
I have seen turkeys roost in same acre( many times same tree) or section of land for weeks and then leave for months(following food changes)
I personally feel they roost closer to where they eat , in farm lands , or area's with just fewer tree's roosting sites, maybe more consistant roost area's, but in big timber, not so much, they seem to roost a lot bases on weather, windy days lower in valleys, and hevay rains, in pine tree's
but where ever they were eating closer to dark, is where they typically just fly up to roost, can he in one tree today and miles away the next nite
hunted Big timber turkeys for 20+ yrs and that's ben my take on these types of turkeys
just my 2 cents

Big_Holla
04-23-2013, 11:54 AM
I should have added in the Spring when it's mating season they often roost in the same area. This time of year is when they are more predictable than ever. Later in the Summer, Fall and Winter like mrbb said it all depends on food, etc.. State land it will just depend on pressure, pressure from hunters and as you found WF pressure from mushroom hunters spooking them.

Whitetail Freak
04-24-2013, 07:46 AM
Ty all for advice iam taken it all in and gonna try to put ot to good use . Just ticks ya off who hunts mushrooms at 6am iean seriously i think they should have to wait till 12.01pm to look for mushrooms there not hunting there foreing lol

Big_Holla
04-24-2013, 08:03 AM
I kinda agree with you on that WF! I would guess anyone that is out looking for mushrooms is also aware turkey season is open, well at least maybe that guy is now!!

CityBoyzOutdoors
04-24-2013, 02:56 PM
In my experience last few years this time of year they roost in the same area. The Gobblers would stay up in the trees until the Hens flew down. But later in the season the Toms stray a couple hundred yards from the Hens making them easier to catch off the roost!

blackbeard
04-25-2013, 04:22 PM
Ditto, they like to roost in the same tree or trees if they can.....but who the heck knows when it comes to turkeys...they are crazy!